American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with zip files
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:49 am 

Gentlemen, I would like to wish you all a very blessed and happy new year.....The problem I have is that my zip files for my games was always on top in the sequence the files are listed....For some reason the zip file folder is now under the the battle files....In some games I have the zip file on top and the bottom....Is there something I can do ....Like hit a buttom that says " Zip folders on Top"...Or do I have to live with this.........Thanks

Lt. Gen. John Dragan
III/AoA
"The #1 Yankeee Killer"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Admin

I am assuming you are referring the file in your explorer folder, If you hit the tab at the top it will sort the colum asscending or descending, Name, Date modiffied, type, size are all sortable. I hope this helps.

Going off to party. All a Hapy New Year.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

"NEVER get into a fight without more ammunition than the other guy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm 

When I go to attach the game file to the mail and compress the file and I am in the attachment window......How do I get all the compressed files to be on top of the correct game file.....I do not see a tab in Outlook Express.

Lt.Gen. John Dragan III/AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:33 pm 

I am not sure that is what you mean, but perhaps the sort order of the files changed from chronological to something else. If set by date modified, all newer files would be listed first.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:19 am 
Site Admin

I do not understand, the files are copied to your hard drive explorer folder and has nothing to do with the zip process or the email program. When you open you game folder all the files are listed and will be sorted as per your preferences. If you want files to the first ones listed, espescially if you just modified them, such as a game file or creating a zip you hit the Date Modified tab and it will the most recent to the top. You may be talking about something else and this is of no help.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

"NEVER get into a fight without more ammunition than the other guy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm 

A comment from the peanut gallery, if I may. I have found many of the HPS games do not require zipping for the game turn to work after being sent. I think the battleground series required files to be zipped for them to work. I have seen an instance where a friend who is using Win Vista and dial up had to send zipped files before they would work, but in most cases they do not have to be zipped. I personally would like to not have to bother with the extra step of zipping or unzipping files that are small enough to be sent quickly through high speed internet access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sandino</i>
<br />A comment from the peanut gallery, if I may. I have found many of the HPS games do not require zipping for the game turn to work after being sent. I think the battleground series required files to be zipped for them to work. I have seen an instance where a friend who is using Win Vista and dial up had to send zipped files before they would work, but in most cases they do not have to be zipped. I personally would like to not have to bother with the extra step of zipping or unzipping files that are small enough to be sent quickly through high speed internet access.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HPS files as well as BG series files CAN be corrupted during transmission. ZIPPING the files ensures that the files are not corrupted and are playable. For most people, zipping and unzipping a file is not a big deal.

PLUS, Sandino, who are you and to what unit do you belong?? It is customary to identify yourself in a manner similar to my signature and all the others posting..

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:26 am 

My apologies in not including command information in previous posting.
I am Col. Sandy O’Neill,
1 Brigade, 2ed Division, V Corp
AOP

I appreciate that files can corrupt during transmission and they require zipping in these cases. I was pointing out that in most HPS games the files do not require this process and as simple as it is to zip or unzip files, it is still a second step. The HPS files do not require zipping as long as the user has high speed internet access. At least that has been my experience. When I start a game with a new opponent I always sent both file types in the beginning and ask the player to see if they require zipped files. I have only found two instance were zipping was required.

Col. Sandy O’Neill,
1 Brigade, 2ed Division, V Corp
AOP