American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:11 am 

I installed the Windows 7 Beta on my spare computer today. Glad to say that HPS seems to work identically on Windows 7 as it does on Vista. I installed HPS Antietam with no patches and started a one-on-one battle. Saw no issues at all, it played normally. At the install I did get an error message saying that Direct X was unable to install. I clicked OK and it never caused any issues. I installed in a created Games folder rather than the default Program Files folder just like I do in Vista.

By the way, I use Vista x64 Business on my main computer, and I installed the Windows 7 x64 Beta (which is Ultimate).

I also copied Talonsoft Antietam folder (not installed) and it also worked the same as Vista. That is, BG_Start.exe won't work in x64, but executing the bgn.exe starts and runs the game normally.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:09 am 
So what is your opinion of Windows 7 beta so far?

Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:07 am 

Similar feel as vista x64 I'm using now. I like Vista, it seems to fix most problems as you go rather than collect trash and die eventually like XP. You can't right-click the Start button and select Explore like Vista/XP. Instead, there's an icon on the task bar that works like the Computer button on Vista. I'd like the Explore selection back, myself since I'm used to it. I haven't figured out the nuances of the toolbars yet. But, it's a very impressive OS especially for a Beta. The few things that have problems (like SB X-Fi driver installer) usually work when run in Vista compatibility mode. My ATI Cat 8.12 driver installed <i>with no reboot required</i>.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm 

I've been meaning to grab a copy of it, but haven't found the time yet. I really hope they come out with a scaled down version that is more compatible with business software...Vista is a no go right now.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />I've been meaning to grab a copy of it, but haven't found the time yet. I really hope they come out with a scaled down version that is more compatible with business software...Vista is a no go right now.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

With the recent popularity of netbooks if they don't something the OS will soon cost more than computer hardware![:0]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:36 am 

Just wait. It will happen. A free computer for a 2 year, monthly payment hire option tied to Windows 8 Operating System, just like your telephone (or isp)![:p][:p]

regards

General Mark Oakford
Commander
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Oakford</i>
<br />Just wait. It will happen. A free computer for a 2 year, monthly payment hire option tied to Windows 8 Operating System, just like your telephone (or isp)![:p][:p]

regards

General Mark Oakford
Commander
Army of the Potomac
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

With automatic ad pop ups complete with 60 second videos while it collects profiling data to upload to telemarketers who will then open chat windows to talk to you at random times about their products and specials.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)