American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 am 

Gentlemen:
Pardon my obtuseness: if I melee one defender with two attackers, one attacks from the front across a breastworks, the second from the rear flank (no zone of control). The front attacker creates a negative adjustment for both, the rear attacker creates a positive adjustment for both--in effect, they cancel each other out? Correct? Thank you.

Lt. Col. Neal Carney
AoO/IX/2/6

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nealcarney</i>
<br />Gentlemen:
Pardon my obtuseness: if I melee one defender with two attackers, one attacks from the front across a breastworks, the second from the rear flank (no zone of control). The front attacker creates a negative adjustment for both, the rear attacker creates a positive adjustment for both--in effect, they cancel each other out? Correct? Thank you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In principle, yes. Depending on the specific PDT used in the scenario, one or the other might be higher, so that you end up with a positive or negative modifier anyway.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nealcarney</i>
<br />Gentlemen:

In principle, yes. Depending on the specific PDT used in the scenario, one or the other might be higher, so that you end up with a positive or negative modifier anyway.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Per the manual:
• If defending units are attacked from a hex side they are not facing, then 20% is added to the attacking strength
• The <font color="red">largest</font id="red"> hex side modifier of all of the hex sides the attackers are attacking through is applied to the attacking strength. Likewise, if the attackers are attacking across a Breastwork hex side, then the Breastwork modifier is applied to the attacking strength.

So is it correct to say that (with breatworks a 30% modifier) that meleeing thru a front hexside with breastworks plus a rear hexside that the defender gets a +30% modifier but that if there were no breastworks (0 modifier) then the defender would get a -20% modifier? Isn't 0 <font color="red">larger</font id="red"> than -20. Shouldn't the 2nd melee be at 0 modifier?

Major Bill Cirillo
3rd Brigade, 1st Div.
XX Corps, AoC, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:35 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Net Warrior</i>
So is it correct to say that (with breatworks a 30% modifier) that meleeing thru a front hexside with breastworks plus a rear hexside that the defender gets a +30% modifier but that if there were no breastworks (0 modifier) then the defender would get a -20% modifier? Isn't 0 <font color="red">larger</font id="red"> than -20. Shouldn't the 2nd melee be at 0 modifier?

Two confusions here. First the rear attack modifier is not a hexside modifier. These two are applied independently of each other. Secondly, the largest of several *negative* modifiers is of course the one with the highest value (largest percentage). The minus in front indicates a negative modifier, but that doesn't mean that, contrary to the common sense meaning (but admittedly mathematically correct [;)]) the "largest" modifier means the lowest percentage because it's closer to zero.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01