American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Corcoran's Challenge
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm 

As commander of VIII Corps AoS, I'm proud to say that we have one of the, if not the best, division in the Union army...this division is currently looking for any reb team to step up, and try and prove me wrong. Of course, we don't expect any of you rebs to BEAT this team, but we are hoping that you can put together a team that can last longer than 10 turns against them.

Send me a courier if you are interested

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."
-Major General George Meade, Commanding the Army of the Potomac, July 2, 1863

Major General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/mongohuey/generalhodge.jpg[/img]

[IMG]

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 am 

General Hodkiss, <salute>

A courier has been sent!

Michael Gandt
Field Lieutenant, 2nd Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Cavalry Division, II Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 am 

Outstanding! I'll let the boys know.

Thanks Michael, and happy hunting.

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."

VIII AoS
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/mongohuey/generalhodge.jpg[/img]

[IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm 

Silly Lieutenant...

Battles are for men...

LOL... just fanning the flames...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gandt</i>
<br />General Hodkiss, <salute>

A courier has been sent!

Michael Gandt

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General Thompson
Chief of Staff
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by P.A.T.</i>
<br />Silly Lieutenant...

<b>Field</b> Lieutenant to be sure. And in the cavalry too.

You know of course the definition of "Field Lieutenant, C.S. cavalry" in the military dictionary. "A southern upcountry farmhand who considers himself a member of the military aristocracy of the western world because his father has sent him with a half-starved horse to join the Confederate cavalry and who consequently thinks of himself as a latter-day Murat who can defeat the cavalry corps of the Army of the Potomac single-handedly."

I wouldn't be surprised if the good Field Lieutant intends to take us on all on his own.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url]Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 am 

Shall we send an open letter to Tisdale and see if the Reb army has any gumption (is that how you spell it?).

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr,2nd Div "Corcoran's Legion",VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 am 

Gentlemen,<salute>

thank you for your kind remarks!

The proof is in the pudding as they say, so if anyone is interested in teaching me a lesson or two in the art of warfare, you are welcome to offer battle. But maybe you are in for a surprise...

Michael Gandt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drex</i>
<br />Shall we send an open letter to Tisdale and see if the Reb army has any gumption (is that how you spell it?).

Well, I should say that the original post by our esteemed CC should be open letter enough.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gandt</i>
The proof is in the pudding as they say, so if anyone is interested in teaching me a lesson or two in the art of warfare, you are welcome to offer battle. But maybe you are in for a surprise...

Well, the young man has courage. [^]

Field Lieutenant: We are looking specifically for a Reb <u>team</u> (of 3 to 5 players) for a <u>multiplayer</u> engagement, preferably on HPS Gettysburg. As a division (2/VIII AoS) we have done such battles four times so far and almost every time at least one Reb team (sometime several in succession) disappeared on us or surrendered early (last time in turn 10 of 216). We are looking for an experienced team that promises to last through at least one good battle (of 150-200 turns) or even through a campaign. We promise a high standard of gameplay and a reasonably good file turnover rate (considering that we are five commanders--we are known to still have completed the file within a single night). We are also very partial to house rules that add realism, such as simulated courier communication (emails delayed by as much game time as a courier would need to travel between sender and recipient on the map) between teammates.

So, if you're still interested, I suppose you may want to recruit a Reb team, preferably including at least some experienced players? We absolutely don't mind trouncing a Field Lieutenant, although I admit we initially thought more in terms of a Reb team of upwards of 12 stars between them. [;)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 am 

General Walter, <salute>

as I wrote in my message to General Hodgkiss, I was accepting the challenge on behalf of General Ed Stewart, my divisional commander, and myself. Of course this has been agreed with Gen Stewart before.

Right now I am not aware, if we could field a third player.

HPS Gettysburg would be perfectly acceptable, but as I said, we are only two Confederate players so far.
As for your previous experience battling other Rebel teams, I am sure General Stewart and I would offer you an interesting fight.

I am sorry, if I may have caused confusion.

Regards

Michael Gandt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:00 am 
Gentlemen, cough, cough....[:D]
It would give me great pleasure in taking you on in this challenge, originally we tried to get our own team formed from 3rd Division, II Corps ANV, but I have just been moved to take over as III Corps Commander so....if you would let me just pick two more members of the ANV to complete the challenge then you will have a battle on your hands.

<center>Gen. Edward Stewart
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/ANV/Dossiers/Dossiers//Stewart_Ed.cfm"]Image[/url]

III Corps Commander
ANV
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am 

Salute !

If you accept a Lt. Col. of the Army of Georgia to join the Confederate team, please drop me a mail.
I own HPS Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Chichamauga, Ozark, Antietam and Shiloh.

Regards, Klaus Kuhlmann, Lt.Col. Army of Georgia, I Corps, German Volunteer Bde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hee hee!!! I do a little popping off...and WHAM! Rebs from everywhere are looking to beat up my favorite Legionaires!

I do like the idea of the couriers being delayed by travel time. A novel idea, that I didn't think would work, unless the game had a moderator or some such.

VIII AoS

[IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RTHodge</i>
I do like the idea of the couriers being delayed by travel time. A novel idea, that I didn't think would work, unless the game had a moderator or some such.

We've actually been doing this for years.
Each human player is represented by one or several map counters, depending on team size; usually 1-2 corps per player for the Union and 1 corps for the Rebs, plus overall commander, artillery, cavalry. If the map counters are in the same hex, the player can talk freely during the turn. If they aren't, you count hexes from the sender to the recipient and delay the message by as much time as a courier with 36 MP would need to travel the distance. The way we do it is draft a message with a header like "Reynolds to Hooker, 6 AM, ETA 9 AM" (representing a message that would need 9 turns to travel) and save it, then send it off on the appropriate turn (i.e. in this case, the 9 AM turn). If the recipient is very close, the message may get there during the same turn, but the recipient wouldn't be able to reply before next turn.
Of course it's honor-based and impossible to enforce. We do it for the fun and the realism it adds to the game. We've been known to do it even though our opponents didn't, giving us some sort of a handicap ... but even that would be adequate for the Union high command at least early in the war. [;)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm 

Sir,
I may be in the Reb team, if my Corp's Commander needs.

Brig. Gen. Giorgio Beacco
3/2/3 ANV

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next