American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:27 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Gentlemen,

As some of you may know I have been a member of the Civil War Preservation Trust for many years, this non profit organization through the direct purchase of land or conservation easements has saved over 25,000 acres of hallowed ground at 100 sites in 18 states as well as conducting education programs and promoting heritage tourism. Use this link for further information http://www.civilwar.org/

The fall 2009 membership recruitment drive is currently underway, due to the recent economic slow down there has been a drop in donations and new membership.

It is my intention to have a drawing to receive a one year paid membership to the CWPT to a member of the ACWGC.
Rebel or Yankee, it matters not, the only requirement for those that may wish to submit their name is a genuine concern for battlefield preservation and the honest intent to consider continuing the membership in the future.

All interested officers can post their name on this thread, I will take names until October 30 at which time the names will be thrown into a hat and the winning name drawn. I will then announce the winner and contact them for mailing address information.</b></font id="beige">

<font color="orange"><b>I had hoped to see a bit more response, as Ernie has so eloquently stated it don't cost anything to enter and even less to win![;)]</b></font id="orange">

<font color="limegreen"><b>One more day added, ending on the 31st and I discovered that Blue & Gray Magazine is having a two year membership for the cost of one year offer so I will be entering the CWPT membership through the B&G website. </b></font id="limegreen">
<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b> </center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 pm 

Great idea, Bob.

But do not include me. I have been a member of the Civil War Preservation Trust for several years and have contributed to many, many of the preservation drives, including the latest drive for the preservation of Raymond, Mississippi.

I am listed in the Regimental Color Bearer group of members.

I am also a member of the Central Virginia Battlefield Trust.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:15 pm 

Count me in, I've always wanted to join the CWPT, but I've always gotten the mailing at an inopportune time.

throw me in..

Jason Fitch

Lt. Jason Fitch
commanding, 4th Bde
1st Div IX Corps
Army of the Ohio

" At the end of forty-three minutes of a desperate and unequal contest, I found the enemy completely around my flanks. To prevent a useless destruction of life, or entire capture of my regiment, I gave the order to retire. I was Honored to be forced to repeat it, and even then the brave fellow complied reluctantly -- many refused" -- Colonel Bernard Mullen, commanding 35th Indiana Infantry, 1st Irish....Report of the Actions of the 35th on the Last Day at Stone's River

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:45 pm 

I just spoke to Bob and I will make the same offer.

So that we can even this out, I will ALSO have a drawing to receive a one year paid membership to the CWPT to a member of the ACWGC. I think we can do one each for each SIDE!

So, all you need to do is want to help preserve Civil War Battlefields and POST here!!!![^]

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:56 am 

Please count me in.

Capt. Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 am 

I would think there would be more of a response, as this will NOT cost the winning members any $$$$$.

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 am 

Sir,

Please do include me in this very worthy cause. We are each stewards for our own short time.

Regards,

<font size="4">Lt. Colonel J. Ellis
Officer Commanding
4/I AoG CSA
The War Horse Division
</font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:13 pm 

General Weir <salute>

Sir, please throw my name into the hat. I have only visited one Civil War battlefield (Mannassas), and as I was stationed in Maryland at the time (1990) I am quite disappointed now that I didn't visit many more while they were in the vicinity.

Lt Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
"Gator Alley"
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:29 pm 

General Weir <salute>

Sir, my compliments! I apologize for not knowing how to edit my previous post, however I have just joined Civil War Preservation Trust and wish to donate my membership should my name come up to a member of my division, if that would be acceptable.

I was unaware of the existance of the organization until I came across this thread and concur that it is a worthy project which I am pleased to now support. I only wish it could be more substantial.

Your humble servant,

Lt Col Neal Hebert
"Gator Alley"
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:57 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="4"><font color="beige">General Weir Suh! <salute>

Robert, sign me up, either way I am joining, should have done so long ago. Our Valley trip last year proved just how important the preservation of our ACW battlefields is, those little battlefield sites from the '62 valley campaign and I remember how the Cedar Mountain site has gone from a postage stamp size to more than a 100 acres with more to come. Future generations will be able to stand at these sites and wonder how men faced each other in battle!

Respectfully,</font id="beige"></font id="size4"></font id="Book Antiqua">

<font color="limegreen"><font size="4">Gen Nick Kunz
Commanding
3/4/II Corps
Army of Georgia</font id="limegreen"><font color="orange">
Commandant
Vicksburg Military Institute</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 am 

Sign me up. Been looking for a way to help since seeing the battles to protect the battlefields on the likes of Dicsovery or the History channel.

Cpt Jack Waldron
2nd Bde/1st Div/XIX Corps/AoS/USA

"My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom." William T Sherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:14 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fitch</i>
<br />
" At the end of forty-three minutes of a desperate and unequal contest, I found the enemy completely around my flanks. To prevent a useless destruction of life, or entire capture of my regiment, I gave the order to retire. I was Honored to be forced to repeat it, and even then the brave fellow complied reluctantly -- many refused" -- Colonel Bernard Mullen, commanding 35th Indiana Infantry, 1st Irish....Report of the Actions of the 35th on the Last Day at Stone's River
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jason...your signature choked me up. I'm not kidding. I read it the first time rather quickly and went on. Then it dawned on me and I went back and read it more slowly and much more carefully. I realized it was saying that only one man was left alive and all the other members of the regiment refused because they were already dead.

Sorry to be so maudlin, but well said, my friend, very well said indeed.

Lt. TomBridges

Lt. Tom Bridges
3/2/XIX/AoS
Kansas Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:47 pm 

Sir,

I gladly volunteer for consideration for the drawing. I have not joined the cwpt but have heard of it's benefit. I do belong to Save the Franklin Battle Field and Carter House founddation. The historians there wore CWPT hats at the descendents survivor reunion.

Thanks for the offer.

Col. Jim Garner
1/2/III
AoA
Sons of Cleburne

"Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am 

<b><font color="beige">Gentlemen,

I want to thank all those that entered, it is a worthy cause not only to protect the historical legacy but also to provide open space that might otherwise be destroyed.
The loss of battlefield acreage is like the burning of history books, once lost it can never be replaced and over the next few years what is not saved will be gobbled up by urban sprawl and development. I hope the winners enjoy their membership and will continue it in the future.

I also want to thank Ernie Sands for joining me in this endeavor and making it twice as rewarding for the participants![8D]

And so with out further ado the winners are;

<font size="4"><font color="orange">For the Confederate side, Lt. Colonel Jon Ellis AoG CSA</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Jon please contact me with your home address info.

<font size="4"><font color="orange">For the Union side Captain Stephen Trauth AoT USA</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Stephen please contact Ernie Sands with your home address. </b> </font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b> </center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:39 am 

Congratulations gentlemen!

Lt Col Neal Hebert
"Gator Alley"
Adjutant, VMI