American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:49 pm 

Well I'm not one of the founding fathers but this month marks 10 years since I entered the Union Academy in November 1999, so I guess that makes me an old veteran.

Gen. Ken Miller
3/VIII
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:26 pm 

I don't remember when I joined, but there was not a Union Academy at the time. I think it was prior to 2000. But, maybe not.[:(]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm 

Ernie, it was 1857.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:17 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />Ernie, it was 1857.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are you saying he's pre-war regular army? [:p]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 am 

Geez, you guys are grizzled veterans.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr, 2nd Div "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 am 

I wasn't in from the beginning either but joined the club on 20th Aug. 2000 and enlisted in the A.o.O. on 6th Nov. 2000 when a certain M.G. Mark Nelms C.O. of the A.o.O. had the misfortune to take me on manoeuvres. I wonder what happened to him [:D][:D][:D]. I must say Mark did well in getting me into shape...thanks Mark. Since then I've had a few mounts shot from under me and my uniform is a little bit more bedraggled but I'm still hanging in there.

This was a great club back then and has only got better in the intervening years.

<font color="yellow"> Colonel John Sheffield,</font id="yellow">
1st Brigade <b><font color="red">[Fighting First]</font id="red"></b>
2nd Division,
XXIII Corps
<font color="orange">Army of the Ohio.</font id="orange">
<font color="red">U.</font id="red"><font color="white">S.</font id="white"><font color="blue">A.</font id="blue">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 am 

I joined in March 1999, after someone saw me on the old Talonsoft boards where I used to find my opponents (back in 1997-8) and emailed me to invite me to join. I had previously joined the Napoleonic Wargame Club in December 1998 and so it was great to see some of the same people here. When I joined the club was already large and traditions were already becoming established. And of course there were some great characters and lively discussions in those days. Those early experiences inspired me to eventually get involved and try to do my bit to continue those traditions. It's still a great club.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 pm 

As Nick posted, I've been around since 3/98...but sadly my activity is but a shadow of what it used to be.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 pm 

Ernie's Club Number is the same as his SSN number so it is easy for him to remember 000-00-0001[:D][:D]. Right now I'm watching WWII in HD on the History Channel what a show. I'm a newbie been in the club for only 5 yrs "April 04" enjoyed every minute.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3/3/III AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Sheffield</i>
<br />I wasn't in from the beginning either but joined the club on 20th Aug. 2000 and enlisted in the A.o.O. on 6th Nov. 2000 when a certain M.G. Mark Nelms C.O. of the A.o.O. had the misfortune to take me on manoeuvres. I wonder what happened to him [:D][:D][:D]. I must say Mark did well in getting me into shape...thanks Mark. Since then I've had a few mounts shot from under me and my uniform is a little bit more bedraggled but I'm still hanging in there.

This was a great club back then and has only got better in the intervening years.

2nd Division,
XXIII Corps
<font color="red">U.</font id="red"><font color="white">S.</font id="white"><font color="blue">A.</font id="blue">

Actually John I was only a Corps Commander in the AoO as I had just started being promoted past the level of my competence. I don't even remember when I joined up but I don't think the war was civil yet. It was shortly after Ned Simms joined as I made him a Confederate hero before he decided to leave the dark side and join the Union, though I hear mainly it was because he told his wife he was a POW and couldn't come home again.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelmsm</i>
[:D]<font color="yellow">It was shortly after Ned Simms joined as I made him a Confederate hero before he decided to leave the dark side and join the Union, though I hear mainly it was because he told his wife he was a POW and couldn't come home again</font id="yellow">.[:D]

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Good one Mark.
-----------------------

Can I just give a mention at this point for the man who introduced me to the club....Ed [Carl] Taylor,Georgia,USA.....4th Brigade [Red clay brigade] / 3rd Div. /I Corps / AoA / CSA. A real gentleman and excellent player for the CSA. Unfortunately I don't think he is with the club any more.

2nd Division,
XXIII Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 am 

Not that it’s not still fun but it was different back in the ol’ days. Mark and I played every scenario on the Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Bull Run BG disks plus at least half of the Chickamauga scenarios. Lee Gast and I played every Antietam scenario (is Lee still in the club?). Bill Peters gave some tough love early lessons in how to play these games. And there was the likes of Larry Wagner (was his nickname The Weasel?), a great guy who played every new Reb VMI graduate who would accept his challenge and then nicknamed them based upon their battle (that’s where my Bloodnguts came from). He would offer playing advice and most of us needed it. And I think that the club suffered the loss of Mike Letus, John and Tom Gremmels, Sam Orlando, and a host of others that were great talents and worth their weight in gold. Some of the huge losses that I can remember on the spur of the moment were Jim Thomas, Gary Cope, Jim Woods, Kevin Mainwaring and I don’t know if Denis McBride, Ian Rousell, and Pat Dunkerley are gone but they’ve at least gone quiet which is also a loss. All of us have different memories but some of these guys touched all of us (whether we realized it or not). The club has two Ken Miller's and both have been outstanding contributors to the club (one for each side). We just about wore out the Reb Ken Miller back in the ol' days.

Now as far as changing sides, I had no choice. Ever since I got Martha to wade out into the creek and hold those two electrical lines together so that I could get a game turn in, I’ve had a problem. I should have known that something was amiss when I’d hear a crack and a yelp every time that I made a keystroke. Personally I thought that her hair looked good sticking up like that but she had other thoughts. Ever since, she’s been sitting at the head of the holler with a shotgun waiting for me to come home to tend the still. I don’t understand why she feels so strongly about it as I hear tell that the black went away and the color returned to her finger tips a long time ago.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm 

You have a good memory, Ned. You named quite a few people there who I had long forgotten although once I knew them well.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:26 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />Not that it’s not still fun but it was different back in the ol’ days. Mark and I played every scenario on the Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Bull Run BG disks plus at least half of the Chickamauga scenarios. Lee Gast and I played every Antietam scenario (is Lee still in the club?). Bill Peters gave some tough love early lessons in how to play these games. And there was the likes of Larry Wagner (was his nickname The Weasel?), a great guy who played every new Reb VMI graduate who would accept his challenge and then nicknamed them based upon their battle (that’s where my Bloodnguts came from). He would offer playing advice and most of us needed it. And I think that the club suffered the loss of Mike Letus, John and Tom Gremmels, Sam Orlando, and a host of others that were great talents and worth their weight in gold. Some of the huge losses that I can remember on the spur of the moment were Jim Thomas, Gary Cope, Jim Woods, Kevin Mainwaring and I don’t know if Denis McBride, Ian Rousell, and Pat Dunkerley are gone but they’ve at least gone quiet which is also a loss. All of us have different memories but some of these guys touched all of us (whether we realized it or not). The club has two Ken Miller's and both have been outstanding contributors to the club (one for each side). We just about wore out the Reb Ken Miller back in the ol' days.

Now as far as changing sides, I had no choice. Ever since I got Martha to wade out into the creek and hold those two electrical lines together so that I could get a game turn in, I’ve had a problem. I should have known that something was amiss when I’d hear a crack and a yelp every time that I made a keystroke. Personally I thought that her hair looked good sticking up like that but she had other thoughts. Ever since, she’s been sitting at the head of the holler with a shotgun waiting for me to come home to tend the still. I don’t understand why she feels so strongly about it as I hear tell that the black went away and the color returned to her finger tips a long time ago.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Dammit Ned, now I'll be up half the night trying to remember what they called Larry, probably something different then what those VMI cadets were calling him under his breath. I want to say it was Beaver, I'm sure it wasn't the Weasel. He'd challenge each and everyone of them to a game of Wheatfield to Devil's Den from BGG.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:00 pm 

The Badger?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
VMI Class of '00