American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 am 

Gentlemen of the Club,

For the past several months, the Union Command Staff has been working on a consolidation and reorganization of the Western Theater. Specific plans were drawn up, and presented to Cabinet for a vote - the plan was approved by that body. Since my 2nd term as CoA ends this year, I wanted to wait until a successor was on board to work through the changes to ensure a smooth transition of Union leadership. With General Walter in place, we have been working through the logistics of this change, and with this announcement, will be moving forward.

The Plan

The Western Theater will be reducing from 3 Armies to 2 Armies - the Army of the Ohio will be consolidated into the Army of the Cumberland and the Army of the Tennessee. This will be accomplished by moving the personnel of the AoO to the new AoT, for future asignment as we fill out that Army. The AoT will have the future option of creating the XXVII Corps, as membership needs warrant. The AoC will have the future option of creating the IV Corps, as membership needs warrant. At this time, it doesn't appear necessary for either Corps to be activated.

The Rationale

This change makes sense on several fronts. Firstly, it mirror's the Union Eastern Theater, and also mirrors the Rebel side of the Club from an Army organization standpoint. Secondly, it preserves much of the historical context of our organization. Thirdly, it will better allow us to create and maintain that 'critical mass/nucleus' needed to thrive as an organization.

The Leaders

General Barlow, Western Theater Commander, will lead this change.

General Ernie Sands, current Army of the Ohio commander, current Union Cabinet member, and current Dept of Records Administrator, will be transferring to the AoC and taking a brigade command while focusing on his continued Cabinet and DoR responsibilities. Ernie, I can't thank you enough for all you do for the Club and the Union Army! Salute, sir!

General Lytwak, current AoT commander, will be re-assigned within the AoT. Ed will also be helping with the transition and ensuring we have the right leaders in place. I want to thank Ed for his willingness to step in as Army Commander, and for his continued willingness to help out. I am hereby awarding the Distinguished Service Order medal to General Lytwak for his contibutions as Army Commander.

I would like to introduce General Thomas Callmeyer as the new Army Commander for the Army of the Tennessee. General Callmeyer has a tall task on his hands as he establishes the AoT organization, and brings it up to the standards needed to thrive as an Army. My thanks to Tom for his willingness to take on this challenge!

Assisting General Callmeyer will be General Joe Meyers, as an acting Chief of Staff to help with the transition project. My thanks to Joe for his willingness to take on this challenge!

The Conclusion

The future remains bright for the Western Theater, the Union Army, and the Club as a whole. We have some great leaders in place to help us continue to grow and enjoy this hobby. All of the leaders I've discussed here have been involved in the planning and execution of these tasks, no one is being thrown off the bus, so to speak. General Walters is also actively engaged in both leading and facilitating these transitions - the transfer and turnover between us is going very well. I am very excited about what he is bringing to the table, and look forward to supporting his efforts and ideas for the Boys in Blue going forward!

Regards,

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://laubster22.tripod.com/UnionHQ/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 am 

It's sad to see the Army of the Ohio being disbanded but I think this was the right thing to do and the Union Western Theater now conforms to the same structure as the rest of the club. I would like to thank General Sands and General Lytwak for their long and valuable service as army commanders. It is appreciated. I'd also like to thank General Callmeyer for stepping up and taking on the challenge of leading the new Army of the Tennessee, and General Meyer for his invaluable work behind the scenes. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new AoT performs in the coming campaigns and I have every confidence that they will drive the rebel hoardes into submission at every opportunity!

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 am 

Gents

If the Western Command of the Confederacy can be of any assistance during the transition please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of my officers[:)]

Brig Gen Cam McOmish
Commander Western Theater
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:43 pm 

Congratulations to General Ed Lytwak upon his DSO award, and good luck to General Sands with his new home in the AoC!

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
Second Division, 14th Corps,
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:18 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cameronm</i>
<br />If the Western Command of the Confederacy can be of any assistance during the transition please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of my officers[:)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That is uncommonly civil of you, Sir. Thank you![8D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
That is uncommonly civil of you, Sir.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Say, do people in the UK today really talk this way? The last one I actually heard say a thing like that was Jack Aubrey. [;)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cameronm</i>
<br />Gents

If the Western Command of the Confederacy can be of any assistance during the transition please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of my officers[:)]

Brig Gen Cam McOmish
Commander Western Theater
Confederate States of America

No, I think all the retreating you folks do is sufficient....well on second thought you guys could bathe more often so the battlefields wouldn't be so stinky. [;)]

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 am 
This message is presented to the members of the ACWGC, the Union Armies, and especially the membership of the AoO and the AoT, now in transition. As you must by now be aware, the Union Army Western Theater is about to see some changes. I accepted command of the AoT to assist in implementing these changes because I came to understand that the club's long and dynamic history, its varied and ever changing membership, and the need to maintain a working structure in a dynamic organization had made such change a necessity. After being in existence for so many years, with people coming and going, and folks' changing expectations about what an e-mail based historical computer gaming club can offer its members, the underlying system can not remain static.

The army reorganization will not happen overnight. It also will not be the work of any one individual. In fact, much was already in the works before I was made aware of the coming reorganization and approached to help in the process. I applaud the ACWGC and Union Army officers who run the club at the cabinet and upper command and staffing levels for their substantial efforts in pursuing this work so far.

The AoT will need a careful reformatting of its command structure. It will need supporting staff and facilities such as a current web page, an efficient mustering process, award systems for acknowledging the accomplishments and contributions of its members, and forums, taverns or other institutions through which its officers can interact, share tactics, and scheme against Johnny Reb. As Generals Lytwak and Sands turn their attentions to other aspects and benefits of club membership, the systems they established for these purposes will be revised or replaced in favor of new ones designed around the current needs of the army. That's a tall order, and one whose success will depend very much on individual members of the Army rolling up their sleeves and pitching in. If you have a penchant being part of the inner workings of the organization, I can't do it alone.

As part of the army's reorg efforts, I will be looking for talented officers with an interest in being a part of the army's internal operations. I have no specific requests or announcements in that regard just yet. I first have to take stock of the current state of affairs with the army, and begin to recognize what we need, and what we already have, before I can be realistic about what opportunities exist.

Regarding what we do already have, the new army has a number of fine officers in command positions of the current AoT and AoO hierarchies. I hope that those of you to whom that description applies are inclined to remain in positions of responsibility as we reshape the army's command structure. I'm sure we'll have room for you, and the need. Aside from Divisional and Corps commanders, the AoT will need staff officers such as an Executive Officer and a Chief of Staff to keep things running efficiently. Some positions may require technical skills such as the ability to maintain and/or author an army web page and/or tavern. I can't be more specific than that until our assessment of current army status and resources is complete.

In terms of both assessing the state of the army, and it's current staff, all AoT and AoO officers should by now have been contacted by my acting Chief of Staff, General Joe Meyers. He is currently distributing letters of inquiry regarding the status of AoT and AoO members expected to be part of the new AoT. If that describes you, and you have not heard from him, it may be because we do not have a current e-mail address on file for you. Please contact Joe at your earliest convenience so we can rectify that oversight (josephcmeyer@comcast.net).

In closing, the new army will be in flux for a time. That will mean a few unexpected events may crop up, but it will also mean that new opportunities will arise. These may take the form of openings for individual command or staff positions, opportunities to modify standards and practices for routine or exceptional army functions and processes, or a chance to implement something you've always felt your army has lacked. I will be working towards such ends in the coming months, but much of our ultimate success as a unified fighting force will depend on the army's officers stepping up and being a part of the army's future. I look forward to working, and gaming with you.

General Tom Callmeyer
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
That is uncommonly civil of you, Sir.

Say, do people in the UK today really talk this way? The last one I actually heard say a thing like that was Jack Aubrey. [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No, most ordinary folk don't talk like that here, although there are plenty of exceptions. But you are very perceptive, I am actually currently reading of the exploits of Jack Aubrey.[;)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:29 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thomas Callmeyer</i>
I will be working towards such ends in the coming months, but much of our ultimate success as a unified fighting force will depend on the army's officers stepping up and being a part of the army's future.

Hear hear! [^]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:31 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
I am actually currently reading of the exploits of Jack Aubrey.[;)]

Incidentally, so am I. That will have sharpened my perception. [:)]

Whereabouts in the series are you? I have just finished <i>The Letter of Marque</i> and am a few pages into <i>The Thirteen Gun Salute</i>.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />Whereabouts in the series are you? I have just finished <i>The Letter of Marque</i> and am a few pages into <i>The Thirteen Gun Salute</i>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm reading<i>The Thirteen Gun Salute</i> too[8D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 am 

Congratulations to all the men who have been working very hard to make this happen. <b><font color="orange">And General Ernie Sands</font id="orange"></b>...you are welcome into my command, the Cumberland Sabres, though it isn't my call.[:(] I wish I had a favor to call in. It would be an honor to have you. A SALUTE to you all.

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps, Cumberland Sabres
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AN, AT,CHK CTH, GB, OZK, PEN, SH, VK,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 am 

Dear General,

Few days ago I have received an email from General Meyer with the following text:

Col. Antonio Aitala,
3rd Brig., First Division, XVI Corps,
Army of the Tennessee

Col. Aitala,
This dispatch is to inform you that your name will be placed upon the ACWGC Union Army of the Tennessee/Ohio Inactive Rolls as per Club Rule 2.6.1.2., as you have not made direct reply as to your intentions to either remain in or return to the ranks as an active member on the announcement of the consolidation of the Army of the Ohio into the Army of the Tennessee.

I am, in all respects, courteously yours,

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer,
Acting Chief of Staff,
Army of the Tennessee

I have tried to get in touch with Col. Meyer at least twice, replaying with the following message but I always got a wrong message from the server….

Col. Meyer,
I have never received such a request. Probably the messenger has been captured by hostile forces.

If I had, I would have replayed that serving in the Army of Tennessee/Army of Ohio is an honour form me and for nothing in the world I would retire.

Actually, I am engaged in the Vicksburg campaign against the confederate Army....

Please, review your position and reintegrate me in the ranks.

I hope you can help me solving this problem…
Actually I don’t check the General Sherman Pub very often and I have just realized I lost some important info (last time was one year ago)…. Or I could have missed the first email as unsolicited…

I hope you do understand…
Thanks a lot
Lt Col Antonio Aitala

3rd Brigade
1st Division/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:52 am 

Thanks for getting in touch Antonio. I've just emailed Joe to tell him about your post here.