American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:36 pm 

Gents,
Please pardon my dirty uniform and the smudges of black powder on my face, but I've just ridden in from my most recent victory near the small town of Gettysburg!
My esteemed opponent, Maj. Dave Elkin, has graciously surrendered his army after 70 turns of carnage. The Rebel army of Northern Virginia stands victorious with a Major Victory!
The first days fighting was slow and deliberate on our part; as Heth and Pender deployed west of town and steadily pushed Buford and Wadsworth's divisions back towards town. When Rodes arrived, he attacked the Yankee's north of town and, with the III Corps divisions pushed the bluebellies back to the ridgeline below town. As Rodes shifted back to the north of town to link up with Early's men, Pender's troops rushed a line of artillery and swept up over the ridge coming within sight of Cemetary Hill. While Early was maneuvering in the region of Benner's Hill, Rodes attacked the scattered units of I and XI Corps defending the area east of town. Early then swung east of Culps Hill, cut the Baltimore Pike, and attacked the Union line from behind! As dusk settled over the field, our Rebel troops were in posession of Cemetary and Culps Hills, but just before dusk the Yankee XII Corps was seen deploying east of Benner's Hill on the II Corps flank!
Quick to avert disaster, Johnson's division deployed north of town and formed a line to allow Rodes and Early to extricate their commands west of town. In the final turns of daylight, Anderson's men had arrived on Warfields Ridge, just adjacent to the Emmitsburg Rd, and engaged in skirmishing with elements of III Corps in that area.
During the night Longstreet arrived with two fresh divisions and took up position on Anderson's right flank. When day broke, the Yankee's launched a furious counterattack consisting of II, III, I and XI Corps from Cemetary Ridge against the Seminary Ridge line, now held by Johnson (north of the Chambersburg Pike) Early, Rodes, Pender, and Heth. The first assault landed on Scales' depleted brigade and sent them scurrying for cover, but the combined fire of 3 battalions of artillery firing from under 5 hexes, and the savage counterattack of Davis' Bde and Lane and Perrin's Bde's stemmed the Yankee tide.
Just as they saw the left flank of the Yankee attack passing their frontages, Anderson's bde's lept into action, swarming over the Union flank and annihilating Caldwell's division. As if this wasn't bad enough, McLaws and Hood swung into the empty space on and behind the Yankee left flank, up the Emmitsburg Rd. The final stages of the battle saw McLaws savaging Gibbon and Hayes' Divisions and Hood continuing his advance into the disorederd remenants of III, I and XI Corps. The final tally was over 15,000 union casualties of all types (not including their 27 leader casualties) and 7,500 reb casualties of all types (4 leader losses).
Hurrah for the Southern Confederacy!!
Drinks are on me!
EDIT: sorry, this was supposed to end up in the AoTM thread, not here.
<salute>

Col. Nick DeStefano
IV "Wolf-Pack" Corps, AoM

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:06 pm 

Colonel DeStefano <salute>

Sir, sounds like a good piece of work there! Congratulations on your well-fought victory.

My regards,

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 pm 

Offhand, sir, I'd say you were rather fortunate in that action. [;)]

With all due respect, congratulations on your victory. [:)]

LtC Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:27 pm 

Lieutenant Colonel Trauth <salute>

My compliments sir! It is good to see correspondence from you, and I do pray that all is well with you.

My highest regards,

Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

[img]http://www.acwgc.org/GatorAlley/DivisionFlag2.jpg 
http://acwgc.org/GatorAlley/BattleFlag1sm.png[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:31 pm 

[:D]

Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:36 am 
Colonel DeStefano,
Nick,

Congratulations on a savage battle, Sir! <salute>

It definitely sounds like one of those memorable battles that will be remembered for a long, long time! And hey... the <b>GOOD GUYS</b> won! [;)]

Do it again, Sir!

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:26 am 

Col. DeStefano,

Your victory over Maj. Elkin is, I suppose, in the nature of things; in that, we all win some and then lose some. But you see, Colonel, Major Elkin is a working member of the re-organizing Army of the Tennessee, whose talents are most highly appreciated at the moment! AoT officers tend to stick together and have long memories about things such as this and I suspect that at some point in the not so distant future you will be receiving a number of pointed challenges from those of our organization who like to "take the crows off the fence!" It may not happen immediately, Sir, but rest assured that it will happen.

You might also pass the word to General Hulinsky that this whole issue about "good guys" and "bad guys" is a very relative thing, one best left to be decided in a tournament setting. We're not quite ready to launch into a tournament yet, but I have put it on our agenda as one of the first items to take up.

Oh, yes! I almost forgot. Please tell Col. Hebert that I've been studying that angry looking alligator on his flag for some time time now, and it appears to me that the poor brute may be constipated!

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
Union Army Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:48 am 
Major General Meyer,
Joseph,

Top of the Day to you, Sir! <salute>

Over here in the Army of the Mississippi, we are quite excited about the reorganization of the Army of the Tennessee. We like to see lots of activity and fighting spirit over there in the Union Camp. And it seems like you might have some. [;)] Honestly, I've chosen to pick on the AoS because they seem to me to be the most active Army in the Union... but they are not even in the Western Theater. And honestly, if it wasn't for Corcoran's Legion... the AoS would be a bust too!

Do you know if there is supposed to be some sort of formal or informal pairing of the Western Theater Armies (both Union & Confederate)? Is the Army of the Mississippi supposed to be paired against the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the Alabama paired against the Army of the Cumberland? Or is it the other way around perhaps?

Anyway, we here in the AotM wait in anticipation of what may happen within the Army of the Tennessee. We definitely see General Walters appointment as the Union CoA as a good thing. I think he possesses the spark that is needed to lift the Union side of the Club to a new level. It's been hell for us Confederates being number one for all these years. We've gotten fat and lazy and I for one wish we actually had some Yank opponents who rushed out to the field of battle for a fight... instead of having to beg and plead for some of them to show up!

As for the "good guys" and "bad guys" comment... I was merely implying the boys in gray are always the good guys in my eyes! [;)] But I certainly invite a more formal way of determining who is winning this here Civil War... and if it be via some form of Tournament... I certainly invite it. If you want to do this on a Western Thater level... have your General Barlow contact Major General McOmish as we would certainly like to move in this direction. It's been a matter of discussion in our camp for some time.

So Sir... get those boys of yours organized and for goodness sake... please don't take all of 2010 to accomplish it!

Warmest Regards,

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:39 am 

Officers of both South and North <salute>

It seems I have gained a "reputation" for the tough loss I sustained at Gettysburg. I certainly appreciate the talents of Tricky Nicky as a commander!

In all seriousness, Nick was able to overtake me at Culp's Hill late in day one, and pressed on and destroyed a number of my cannons. One of the ideas I have had as I watched my poor Union forces be scattered for the next day as well is creating a formal AAR process that would allow both groups to learn about successful moves and tactics rather than post to their own war colleges only. Nick has a been a fine opponent and I have enjoyed his friend ship in our contests.

I also would like to commend General Joseph Meyer and his willingness to help me in my small efforts to re-organize the Army of the Tennessee.

As for Mr. D, keep in mind that the first can become last!

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 am 

General Meyer <salute>

Sir, my compliments! Nicodemus appreciates the general's concerns over the health of his digestive system. I suppose it is hard to tell with an alligator, however he appears to be smiling to me. I do know that he was very impressed with the number of Battle Citations issued to Army of the Mississippi officers for victories during the month of December.

My regards,

Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI