American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:58 pm 

I am playing Nick D in the Ozarks as I have been banished to the West after the debacle at Gettysburg! (Just kidding-Nick is a great opponent!)

Battle of Westport 1864

I don't know a lot about the battles in the Ozark and have found a great website that deals with those battles. The short introduction video is very well done.

http://www.ozarkscivilwar.org/

<i>Community & Conflict
This collection offers a portrait of life in the Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma between the years of 1850 and 1875. It includes photographs, letters, journals and other artifacts that relay the difficulty of conducting everyday matters amid the destruction of the American Civil War. The accounts in this collection offer first hand perspectives on this conflict from a variety of sources: soldiers and civilians, merchants and farmers, men and women.

Community and Conflict: the Impact of the Civil War in the Ozarks collects primary source documents from museums, libraries, archives and private individuals from across the Midwest. Together, these contributing institutions offer their collections as an indispensable resource for researchers. This site examines not only the military history of the American Civil War, but demonstrates the lasting repercussions of the War for citizens, soldiers, slaves, women and children. This project is part of the Missouri Digital Heritage Initiative funded by a Federal Library Services and Technology Act grant administered by the Missouri State Library.
</i>

I have discovered a second great site that covers Trans-Mississippi and Pacific Coasts Theaters of the Civil War. It is designed as a source for travel information to the sites.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AH-Miss ... eater.html

The great thing about the club is the friends and the competition. The great thing about the games is the learning experience!

Major Elkin
Asst COS (acting) AoT

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm 

Just finished reading Fields of Blood by William Shea about the Prairie Grove campaign. He also had a good work about Pea Ridge a few years back. A very forgotten theatre and I am glad that HPS decided to cover it with Ozarks, which has turned out to be one of my favorite titles.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
4/1/XIX Corps, AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:20 am 

Thank you for sharing this! It is good information. I have an interest in the battles of the West and HPS Ozark is my favorite HPS ACW title.

Colonel Joseph Alberti
XVI Corp/Cav Div/ 3rd Cav Bde/ AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:31 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dalelast</i>
He also had a good work about Pea Ridge a few years back.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I really did enjoy that book. I felt it provided a real feel for the problems of war in those inhospitable and remote regions.

<center>Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
[url="http://www.acwgc-usa.org/"]Image[/url]
<i>"... and keep moving on."</i>
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:43 am 

Pea Ridge is a very interesting battle, one that the Union should not have won but the fortunes of war decided otherwise. I don't think the game engine could simulate the unusual loss of reb leadership in that battle. Or does it? I have HPS Oazark but haven't played Pea Ridge yet.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr, 2nd Div "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:37 pm 

Following the very interesting Links provided by Major Elkin, it seems to me that there might be another Campaign game in them - similar to the Ozark Campaign. I'm referring to Prices Missouri raid/campaign.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Following the very interesting Links provided by Major Elkin, it seems to me that there might be another Campaign game in them - similar to the Ozark Campaign. I'm referring to Prices Missouri raid/campaign.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm kinda hoping that HPS will do a game that's filled with minor actions on other theaters that were either left out or are too small to justify their own game. Florida, Burnside's North Carolina Expedition, Price's Missouri Raid, the '62 Southwest Campaign...I think it would be kind of neat to get to play out these actions that few of us know much about. They may have been troop drains and side shows for both sides, but to the soldiers involved they were every bit as important. Not every soldier got to fight at Gettysburg.

Maj. Dylan McCartney
IV Brigade/ I Division
XIV Corps
Army of the Cumberland
Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am 

Given that Chickamauga and Antietam cover over a year of war in their respective theaters, I see no reason why Price's Raid couldn't be included in a Red River Campaign. Maybe even Banks' 1863 Louisiana Campaign, as well as the siege of Port Hudson, which probably should have been included in the Vicksbur Campaign but wasn't.

For Drex, the way they even out Pea Ridge in Ozark Campaign is to give the Rebs massive fatigue.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 am 

For Mike: Massive fatigue? I'm surprised it wouldn't be disruption since that is basically what happens without a leader. As long as it works.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:27 pm 

There are some mods out there for some of these battles. Some are BG and others are HPS.

BG-http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/
HPS-http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
4/1/XIX Corps, AOS