American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:13 am 

Has anyone encountered any issues with HPS games and Windows 7? I'm thinking about getting a new computer with Windows 7. I know there were some compatibility issues when Vista came out.

Thx,

Lt. Gen. Boyd Danner
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - Wilderness 1864

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 am 

So far I haven't had any serious problems. I have been running mainly Gettysburg and Austerlitz which have recent updates. On the older HPS Normandy 44 I do have screen scrolling problems. I have to click on the screen to get it to properly paint the map.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:10 am 

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, with no problems.

I did have the map problem the same as Kennon, but going to Settings and clicking on Alternate Scrolling cured it.

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
2nd Infantry Div.
III Corps
AoG
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:38 pm 

No problems here either. Just make certain you DON'T install in the default Program Files folder for Vista or Win7. Create your own folder to install into. I use a folder called GAMES.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:52 am 

Has anyone used the BattleGround games with Windows 7? Troubles/Suggestions
LtCol Herb Nagel
2/1/IV
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Win 7 is great works really well easy to set up it actually recognized my dual setup TV and monitor and setup the correct refresh and resolution. I actually thought it was not working when installing since I had a blank screen after it booted up. Eventually I figured out that it was displaying on my TV. Turned it on and there it was. Moved it to the monitor and no problems.

The games work fine.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 am 

I don't know if they install correctly or not. I've simply copied my patched games from OS to OS for years. That said, when I copied them into Vista/Win7 the start window (BG START) doesn't work (Note: I'm using 64-bit and that's likely the culprit). However, I run the games just fine by selecting the game executable. Makes it harder to select the scenario, but the game runs fine. I also run them fine from BG START in an XP Virtual Machine.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mr Herb</i>
<br />Has anyone used the BattleGround games with Windows 7? Troubles/Suggestions
LtCol Herb Nagel
2/1/IV
AotM
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>
<br />No problems here either. Just make certain you DON'T install in the default Program Files folder for Vista or Win7. Create your own folder to install into. I use a folder called GAMES.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

General Gross,

I am in the process of setting up a new machine. I loaded Corinth first (since I have a battle going now with General Sims) and Gettysburg (since I'm signed up for the "High Tide" tourny!). Corinth seemed to load just fine using the defaults, but Gettysburg gave me some kind of error message saying some file couldn't be found. I decided to ignore it at first and just apply the updates, but BOTH updates failed, saying certain files couldn't be found.

Why do we need to use our own folders?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>
<br />No problems here either. Just make certain you DON'T install in the default Program Files folder for Vista or Win7. Create your own folder to install into. I use a folder called GAMES.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

General Gross,

I am in the process of setting up a new machine. I loaded Corinth first (since I have a battle going now with General Sims) and Gettysburg (since I'm signed up for the "High Tide" tourny!). Corinth seemed to load just fine using the defaults, but Gettysburg gave me some kind of error message saying some file couldn't be found. I decided to ignore it at first and just apply the updates, but BOTH updates failed, saying certain files couldn't be found.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

I found this: http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm

I'll try uninstallling the two games, then reinstalling them in my own folders. Thanks!

David W. Mallory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:10 pm 

Vista and Windows 7 cause installs to behave differently than with XP. The should be installed into a folder OTHER THAN "Program Files".

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands, General
4th Brigade, Cavalry Division, XIV Corps,
Army of Cumberland, USA
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:04 pm 

You found it. And Ernie helped too. Pre-Vista games can have problems with the way Vista and Win 7 split up the install files, and also with the system protection they use for the Program Files folders. If you install in your own folder, they will install in the subfolders they were intended to be in, and they won't have system folder protection.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

General Gross,

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

I found this: http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm

I'll try uninstallling the two games, then reinstalling them in my own folders. Thanks!

David W. Mallory

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC