American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bridges outside LOS
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:12 am 
How much information can you tell about an enemy's work on a bridge when it is outside of your LOS? Obviously you cannot tell what the strength is unless you are next to it. But can you see when the bridge is no longer at a "0" rating because it goes from destroyed to repaired on the screen? Or do you have to move units to see the bridge in order to tell its status?

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:50 pm 

Hi, Colonel,

As near as I can tell, if the bridge is at any strength above zero, it will look like a whole bridge, even if nobody can actually see it. If the bridge is in your LOS, you can tell what strength it is. You don't have to be adjacent. I don't think there is any way to tell what the max strength should be though. If you come to a bridge and you can't cross, it probably means you have to repair it some more. Hope this helps. I deduced it from HPS Chancellorsville.

MG Mike Mihalik
2/4/I/AoMiss/CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 am 

I think you hae to look in the campaign notes for the max bridge strength. In Chancellorsville it is 500 pts! Do you know how long it takes to build it to enough strength for a wagon or artillery unit to cross? Many turns, even if you use 900 men on repair.After one whole day and night in a Chancellorsville meeting engagement, I still couldn't get a wagon across and I had pts over 300. And if any of them are disrupted, then no repair from that unit. Any artillery set up in woods or behind breastworks can tie up a bridge for a whole game unless you can bring enough arty to drive them away.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 pm 

Bridges in Chancellorsville are ridiculous. In Vicksburg, I completed a bridge with around 900 men in under two hours. It took me three hours to build a bridge so that infantry could cross, and that was with troops working from both sides of the river! It's probably more accurate in Chancellorsville, but the disparity is frustrating, particularly since it seems many of the scenarios don't take into account the fact that one player is tied up building bridges.

Maj. Dylan McCartney
IV Brigade/ I Division
XIV Corps
Army of the Cumberland
Union Army