American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:06 pm 

Channel Catfish, Genl McOmish .... they grow pretty big too.

Edited to add: I think the technical term for what I was describing is called "Kanoodling" - and they had a debate on whether to have a fishing season for just that -pulling these fish out of their holes in the mud bank. . . iirc it was mainly around the Mississippi River area and probably the Lakes (Lake of the Ozarks and possibly Truman Lake - the Missouri River has been fairly heavily modified over the years by the Army Corps of Engineers -so I am not sure they do that there ... ) The things can sometimes get upwards of 2 meters long at times. Another form of fishing for the things is on something called Trot(t) Lines - usually done with home made fishing floats made out of things like big laundry detergent containers.

Mind you guys -the prior stuff is about as close "role playing" as I'm apt to get --- I look forward to the tournament you are planning.

Oh, and Blake, sir... the best redneck-ish thing I ever saw? Some guys made their own convertible with a reciprocating saw (think the commercial name is a Sawzall). . . yeh you bet I'm traumatized :D. But I know you're perfectly correct in your assessment - they are everywhere.

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT
XV Corps/3rd Division [1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:23 pm 
Thats great about the Redneck convertible. I can see people doing that! The thing I miss most about living in Tennessee was the 4th of July. Starting about July 2nd you would hear the first sounds of the fireworks like the opening shots of a battle. It would grow increasingly on the 3rd and by the 4th the skirmish became an all-out battle when the sun went down! Rednecks, beer, home-made fireworks... I have to admit... a fun combination! The skies were lit up for miles in all directions! [:D]

Up here in Pennsylvania they are illegal so the Holiday passes quietly except where a city plans a fireworks show.

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Target1221</i>
Up here in Pennsylvania they are illegal so the Holiday passes quietly except where a city plans a fireworks show.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Col Strickler,

Don't know which part of Pennsylvania you're living in but in my neighborhood here in western Pa. things will start going pop in the next couple days and build to a crescendo by the 4th of July then continue for several days thereafter. We're only about an hour from Ohio or West Virginia and people make trips across the state line and load up on all kinds of rockets and firecrackers. If you go down to the city park to watch the fireworks you can expect to have them going off from early afternoon until the actual city show starts then continue again afterwards. I usually drive my car down to the park in the afternoon and find a nice spot under a tree to giev it a little protection from the falling debris of the rockets. After we get home from the park we egt to listen to them going off till 2-3 in the morning which is fun if you have to work the next day. If the city were to issue citations and fine the people setting them off they could probably reduce the property taxes by 20% but the police just ignore the law.

Gen. Ken Miller
AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am 
Hello Ken! Glad to see an AotP member was able to stop by so far away from their own theater!

I am over in York near Gettysburg. We do have people who go down to Maryland to buy fireworks each year. But, overall, the intensity level of the fireworks is less than what it was while in Tennessee. I lived in Chicago before that and they were illegal there also. We had to drive up to Wisconsin to buy them. Chicago put on their own displays of fireworks that were always great though. Going to buy fireworks seemed a waste of time since the city's show was so great.

Good to hear from you!

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Congratulations to Col. Neal Hebert on being awarded his second VMI Service Cross! Col. Hebert is a fine officer and is a credit to both VMI and this Army. Although he is stepping down from his position at VMI he will always remain a part of that institution's history and legacy. Thank you, sir, for your service.

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm 
Big thanks to Hampus Drott and Nick Kunz for getting our website back up so quickly! Thanks alot guys!

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:31 am 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant General Scott Ludwig
Commanding Officer III Corps - Army of Northern Virginia

"Son only a Minie ball can dismiss me!"

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:49 pm 

I would like to congratulate Colonel Blake Strickler on being awarded the <b><font color="yellow">Patrick Cleburne Medal of Service</font id="yellow">, </b>for outstanding services to the fine Army of the Mississippi - Well done Suh!! <salute>

Major General Cam McOmish
Commander Western Theater
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 am 
Thank You, sir!

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 am 

Gentlemen,

I'm back. Did I miss anything?

[:p]

I would like to thank Col. Strickler for everything he has done in my absence. Due to real life responsibilities I have not been able to be here much since taking over the AotM. Col. Strickler has helped me immensely by keeping me informed and handling the day to day operations of this army. He richly deserved the Patrick Cleburne Award.

That being said, Col. Strickler has gleefully left a ton of paperwork on my desk. The work begins...

MG Jon Hooper
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:20 am 
Officers of the Army of the Mississippi,

We have another promotion to announce today.

Major Joe Medeiros! Front and Center!

For your continued efforts on the field of battle you have wholly earned the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. The Army thanks you for your continued service and committment to the Cause.

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:12 pm 

The Adventures of Robin Hood with Olivia de Havilland was partially filmed in my town of Chico, Ca., at least the scenes of Sherwood forest with the men swinging out of the trees. Some of the Chico people were used as extras.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm 

Back in the mid-1950s, when I was just a kid, our family was visiting relatives in the Chico area. We went on an unofficial tour of locations used in the Errol Flynn film. Long time ago, but I remember enjoying myself, and that the trees were stately and meandering.

Your Obedient Servant,
Lt Gen Dwight McBride
Ist Division/1st Brigade
V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm 
Great movie Robin Hood! They just don't make swashbucklers like Errol Flynn anymore. I wonder if you can still visit the forest in Chico?

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next