American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Bright Future!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm 
Friends,

I joined this Club (the only Club I have the time or desire to belong to) because I have always loved the history of the Civil War. I grew up playing the old TS games but never knew such a Club existed until this year. When I stumbled upon this Club my eyes bugged out and I felt like a kid all over again! I still get excited whenever I get an email from a Club member because, no matter what it contains, it is from a friend who shares the same interests as I do.

In an age that values <i>speed</i>, simplicity, and apathy I am more than happy to be a part of such a Club! Here I find men who don't mind getting into an argument over principles! I also find men who enjoy discussing history, strategy, politics, voting, Ginger versus Mary Ann, alcohol, Johnny Carson, John Wayne, Robin Hood, and a million other topics too numerous to go through.

I love men like Hank Smith and Jeff Laub because they care enough to stand up and argue until they are red in the face because they believe they are right. Aren't principles what the Civil War was about afterall?! Do our arguments get a bit old? YES! Do they need to be taken private when between individuals?! Oh God, YES! But I am happy to know that there are those here who would rather argue all day about the voting rights of a Lieutenant Colonel than know that not a single person gave a damn about anything that happened here.

This Club will be fine! There are many great men here with lots of ideas, opinions, plans, and hopes. Will we all always agree? No. But thats what makes it fun! There are, and will continue to be, plenty of new members who want to be a part of this world of ours.

Evidence? Well right now the majority of the VMI staff have only been in the Club for less than six months! And, this may shock some people even more, WE VOLUNTEERED! Why did we volunteer for the positions? For Awards? Glory? Women? Heck you can keep your awards and glory... the women we will take happily [:)]... but we volunteered because we wanted to be a part of the Club in some greater way.

This Club still has a great amount of appeal to new members - I am one of them so I know. It is based on strategy games that are some of the finest and most addictive I have ever played. It has a history and a membership that is second to none. It is filled with great members who, even when we argue with them, we would give the shirt off our back to. Why? Because under all the crap we spew at times the foundation of the Club is as strong as it ever was.

So, take heart, men of the ACWGC, the future is bright for us! There are games to play, politics to be (respectfully) argued, history to be debated, Armies to run, tournaments to play and organize, records to be kept, websites to be updated and Cadets to train. Life goes on! Is it like it was 5 or 10 years ago? Will it ever be again? From what I am told - Nope! Then, hell, let's make it better! Or, at least lets give it the old college try! I sure am!

End of Pep Talk [:D]

And if anyone else has anything good to say I would sure love to read it! We could all use a little positive energy I believe.

Blake Strickler
York, Pennsylvania, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 pm 

Well said Blake! Let's get back to why we are all here - fun & history! Enough political BS - there are so many fine people that I have met in this Club (I am new too - only about a year or so). It is a special place with excellent people. Lets put egos and who said what when behind us. I agree that the future is bright and that we need to look forward. There is so much to offer and do to enhance our hobby and gaming experience if we all work together. Tough times often bring out the best - I firmly believe that the current questions we have been challenging ourselves with have made us realise what is important and how we should be moving forward as a club. ACWGC will emerge stronger.

Col Stewart Stiles
WT CoS
5 Brig 3 Div
I Corps
AotM

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:09 am 
Blake and All Ya'll Other Newbies,

Ya'll are the "hope" of the club......The future of the club.....Eentually ya'll will be the ones determining that future.....I hope you are able to make a postive impact.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:09 am 

It is a pleasure to read something positive. Well said Sir, even if from the the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line.

I joined the club about a year ago, and I have meet some saints and have read missives from some scroundels. However....As the 16th President said:

<i>With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.</i>

As I edge past the 6th decade of my life, I have discovered it is important to enjoy each day, and not to associate with negative nabobs! We need to enjoy the games and the exchange of ideas. Leave the bad politics to the newscasters and government types.

Col. Elkin
Horse Arty/3rd Div/(2nd Cav)/XVI Corps
AotT

“I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies. . . . Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behindâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:17 am 

Col, Strickler <salute>

Damned well said, sir!

Col. James Broadhead
2nd Brigade
1st Infantry Division "The Fianna"
II Corps "The Light Fighters"
Army of Alabama
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 am 

Well said.

<<salute>>

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands, General
4th Brigade, Cavalry Division, XIV Corps,
Army of Cumberland, USA
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:12 am 

You are the Man....Now get back to getting us more Cadets and getting them on the battle field...We got Yanks to FIGHT....

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
General
Chief of Armies - CSA
ACWGC Cabinet Member

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Abraham Lincoln
January 12, 1848.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 am 

Colonel Strickler, are you certain that you are serving in the correct army? We would hate to see such a promising carrer languishing away in the wrong uniform. <i>York, Pennsylvania</i>, is it...perhaps a Southern wife? There are ways to remedy these inconsistencies should you elect to cross back over and give up any misplaced notions of Southern Independence. Surely, Sir, and at the very least, given your place of current residence, you owe us an explanantion of this foolishness!

General Jos. C. Meyer
Commander, Army of the Tennessee
Union Army Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:46 am 
I'm up north recruiting for the Cause [:)]

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am 

Perhaps he thought he was joining Pope's or McClernand's Army of the Mississippi but some reb recruiter tricked him and signed him up for the wrong side?

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am 
Oh, I'd have deserted if I had ended up under Pope or McClernand for sure.

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 am 

Well said Blake. And as far as the Ginger/Mary Ann debate is concerned I cast my vote for Mary Ann.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
3/4/VIII Corps, AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm 

Barkeep - Please poor a drink for this young man, and put it on my tab.

Oh, and mark another vote down for Mary Ann! :-)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm 

We needed that Blake. Thank you.

However, I thought you were taller than that? [:p]

MG Jon Hooper
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:34 pm 
Yes, Jon, I am Napoleonic in size but the good looks make up for it [8D]

And, what is wrong with you people? Ginger is obviously the answer here.

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff