American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:41 am 

I have been thinking ...

Corinth came out in late 2001 and was the first ACW game that had the bridge destruction feature.

Now I think I can quite see where that came from. Historically, just before the battle of Corinth, the Federals destroyed Davis Bridge. Probably the designer deemed it imperative to represent this within the game.

What strikes me as decidedly odd, however, is this ... when the Rebs found Davis Bridge burned, they rebuilt it. Took them just some hours.

I wonder why *that* wasn't incorporated in Corinth?

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:17 pm 

What strikes me as rather odd is why there isn't just a single game engine for all three series (ACW, EAW & Nappy) - in that way any new feature added into one series (such as weather, pioneers, indirect fire, etc) would be automatically part of the others too. Of course, if there are some elements that would be inappropriate for one or other series - eg. gunboats or cavalry charges - then these unit types just wouldn't be included in the scenario, so there's no potential drawbacks of having a single game engine.

The ACW series would certainly benefit from pioneers, weather, non-gunboat indirect fire, points for supply wagons and the option of having detachable skirmishers and cavalry squadrons. Similarly, the other two series would acquire breastworks & trenches and the EAW games would also benefit from cavalry charges & proper skirmishers (to replace the inadequate extended line formation with its flanks & rear) and the Nappy games would get a dragoon type cavalry and indirect fire for howitzers. Combining the engines would also provide an additional artillery type for all three series.

Since programming time for the various games is so precious, a single game engine would increase flexibility and permit all three series to enjoy the same new features straight away and would also reduce the amount of subsequent programming time considerably. So a single engine would benefit everyone - programmer, scenario designers & players.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:47 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
Question: how long would it take to bridge the Potomac? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lee needed three days to have a pontoon bridge over the Potomac at Falling Waters, but that was with materiel improvised on the spot.

With proper bridging equipment, it was a matter of hours. In the battle of Chancellorsville, Hooker's engineers started three bridges over the Rappahannock below Fredericksburg at first light on April 29. They were all up before 10 AM.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College