American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need some PC help!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:18 am 
Hopefully someone out there has experienced this problem or can point me in the right dircetion. When I send out my completed turns, using Winzip, sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't.[?] This has all started since getting a new PC running XP w/SP2. I checked all my settings, for both the PC and my security software and everything seems in order. What is weird is that I can finish two games, connect to the internet and mail both in the same session. One reaches its destination fine, the other never arrives and I have to resend. Needless to say it is all very frustrating not to mention the fact that all my opponents must be starting to think that I'm a real boob[:(]Any thoughts or suggestions(short of throwing my PC out a window[:0]) would be greatly appreciated.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:42 am 

Hm, first thing I'd look at is if you are being caught by someone elses "spamblock", either another ISP, or another users.

As a test, I'd suggest setting up a webmail account (Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail), and using that to send your turns. I've had people I cannot reach from my "real" account, but can get to from my Y! account just fine.

Col. Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:43 am 

This sounds like a mail server issue, either on your outgoing end, or maybe the receivers. There are a lot of variables involved with this. I would start by contacting your ISP and sharing the problem with them, and see what they can dig up.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:59 am 

As one of General Huffman's whipping boy opponents, we've been exchanging emails and files steadily for the past 4 months. Over the last couple of weeks, his emails will show up, but not the file attachment. I would get notification if the zip file had been quarantined, etc. by MSN (my email provider) but no such notification for his emails. I still receive multiple zip files daily from other opponents and sources. Hope this helps...

Lt. General Jeff Laub
I Corps, Fighting First
Army of the Potomac, USA
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/I_Corps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:42 am 

It is an ISP issue.

Some ISP's (yours and mine) discriminate some emails from someother ISP's.

I get several emails, with attachments every day. However, some emails, with and without attachments from SOME ISP's get blocked. I have narrowed my problem down to those emails from Italy (.it) and Spain (.sp), but not all from there.

So, I have those that are being blocked send to my YAHOO account.

In addition, there are a couple of MY opponents located in the US, that can't get emails from me. So I have alternate email addresses to send.

It could be a SPAM program or it could be the ISP just blocks specific places for whatever reason.

I heard, someplace, that some ISP's block other ISP's due to some kind of certificate required or something like that. I didn't pay much attention to the information, at the time.

IOW, it is beyond the individual control. I gues you could contact your ISP and get an explanation and try to resolve the problem.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:06 pm 

That's all not it, I am afraid.

Ted sends me two emails for two different games. Same sending ISP, same receiving ISP, same email programs involved, all the same. One gets through with the attachment, and one arrives without the attachment.

The next day it works fine.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:02 am 
My thanks to everyone for weighing in on this issue. I guess what it boils down to is I'm going to have to start buying some carrier pigeons.[:D] I hope all my opponents keep a good supply of grain on hand for their return trip.

Actually, I think I will take some of the advice and set up an alternate email account and see how things go from there. Thanks again for all the help.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:17 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ted Huffman</i>
<br />My thanks to everyone for weighing in on this issue. I guess what it boils down to is I'm going to have to start buying some carrier pigeons.[:D] I hope all my opponents keep a good supply of grain on hand for their return trip.

Actually, I think I will take some of the advice and set up an alternate email account and see how things go from there. Thanks again for all the help.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There are a couple:

Yahoo.com is fine. Good spam control and I have not had problems with them at all. Storage is very large, also.

GMAIL from Google is also good.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 am 
Ted,

I have some Gmail invites if you would like one. They are still in beta so its by invite only.

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse Me[/url]