American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:28 am 

Is it just me[?] I find that the way we read these threads to be annoying. I have to start at the bottom to read them in their proper order. I would rather they flowed like a book, from top to bottom, instead of bottom to top!

Rich

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:47 am 

It has been done this way so it's easier to identify what's new without having to scroll all the way down. Personally, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:26 am 
Most of the forums I visit now, outside of this club that is, have a simple little feature called "view psts since last visit". This eliminates the "need" for backwards flowing posts or searching all over the board for "whats new". We really could use this feature here....in a bad way.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3/3ANV
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:48 am 

General Smith,

Does that solution use cookies to keep track of which items you have already read? If so, that wouldn't help me any since I tend to catch up on Tavern postings from three different machines--my machine at work (over lunch, boss!), my personal machine at home, and (occasionally) my wife's machine at home.

Also, does that method keep each post for a given thread in a separate link? I've seen others like that (the Chickasaw Bayou Saloon, for instance, as well as the 'Alternative' Mason-Dixon Tavern), and I find it quite cumbersome to have to click on each post to open it. I much prefer this format, where everything is streamed together.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Michael Smith</i>
<br />Most of the forums I visit now, outside of this club that is, have a simple little feature called "view psts since last visit". This eliminates the "need" for backwards flowing posts or searching all over the board for "whats new". We really could use this feature here....in a bad way.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3/3ANV

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:41 am 

This board here has an "active topics" feature, and somehow it manages to keep track of when you visited last, even on different machines. Quite useful.

But that's threads. What Rich is referring to is the order of posts in a thread.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:09 pm 
I prefer the way it is. I makes it much easier to check replies when you know they will always be at the top.

Col. Chris Cross
II "Jackson's" Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:47 pm 
Gen. Mallory,

I assume they use cookies to do thyis though in what manner I do not know. I do know they are using Php boards so perhaps its a Php perk? In any event I can visit the boards from any comupter I like and once I "log in" I can go through each board category if I want or I can just select the "view recent posts" feature and I'll only see posts I have not looked at before. How they do it I don't know.

The only reason I brought this up, yes Dierk I'm aware Rich was speaking of the thread order, was because these Snitz Forums are the only ones I visit where the thread order is such and because I'd love to see the feature I mentioned on our boards. It won't make a bit of difference to me either way just posting a wish, if you will.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3/3ANV