American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FTW - A CALL TO ARMS!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:28 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>“Gentlemen, I have been working on a system of combining the Corinth engine, with a strategic engine to allow for fighting the entire conflict. I am undecided as to how big I want the game to be (but it can get quite large) this time. I have done this before, with other games and my system works quite well…â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:01 am 
How does recruiting work in a game that large?

Fld. Lt. Bryan Gentry ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:11 pm 
Posted - Aug 25 2006 : 6:01:23 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>How does recruiting work in a game that large?</i>

Fld. Lt. Bryan Gentry ANV<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Basically, you go to the A Call TO ARMS! thread on the Open FTW Forum on the FTW website and register your name, your email address and which side you wish to fight for.

Then on September 15th someone will send you a notification email that you have been granted access to one of the closed FTW site forums. (There's one for the USA and one for the CSA.)

When you log onto one of these forums, you will be in private communication with the other players on your side, who will be responsible for establishing some sort of Chain of Command. This can be accomplished through free and fair elections, or you can wrassle for it. It's really up to the players themselves.

Once a "Top Dog" has been selected, he will be responsible for
<ul><li> Creating some sort of command structure </li><li> Assigning Individual Commands </li><li> Distributing the men and material earned during the previous turn </li><li> Generating some consensus among the players about the future conduct of the war </li><li> Settling disputes </li><li> Soothing hurt feelings </li><li> Smoothing ruffled feathers </li></ul>

Then on September 30th, El Presidente will take everything he's gathered over the past two weeks and condense it into a series of General Orders, which he will issue to his officers through the good offices of Mssrs. Quick and Smith, who will distribute the information to the Officers in the field and determine who will fight where.

If it's determined that you will be in a fight during the upcoming battle phase, you will receive a notification along with an accompanying scenario, and the shooting will commence, with all turns and accompanying email routed through the aforementioned Quick and Smith, who will keep a careful record of your battlefield wins and losses on the Abacus3000 OOB calculator.

As to your individual play, this remains entirely up to you. Certainly you will have your orders, but are you passive or aggressive player, experienced or inexperienced, willing to patiently follow orders, or are you a "Damn the torpedoes" adventurer? How will you behave on unfamiliar ground, against an unknown opponent?

Your success or failure on one battlefield will be carried over to the next, so whereas success on the battlefield might win you more resources from Washington or Richmond, failure could eventually relegate you to an distant outpost in the Indian Territories.

And there's the element of personal danger to consider also. In this game you can be captured, and sent off to languish in some filthy, disease-ridden prison to await release, rescue or the end of the war. You can be wounded, and sent to the "hospital" for several turns while some hotshot takes over your command. You can even be killed, and spend the rest of the war reading dispatches about the daring exploits of others.

There's also no time limit on this war. It could last two more turns, or 200. Its length depends entirely on the choices made in the respective capitals and the victories claimed on the field. It is this measure of uncertainty that makes the FTW Campaign such an interesting and worthwhile project.

So what are you waiting for? The drums are beating.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:22 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BMG</i>
<br />How does recruiting work in a game that large?

Fld. Lt. Bryan Gentry ANV
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm sorry. Did you mean recruiting players or troops? If your question is regarding the latter, then notso has the correct answer. All I know is that it has something to do with math...

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:23 am 

What game engine is used the BG or HPS? Which maps are used and how many turns are required per week/day? Some weeks I'd have no problems but some weeks my job takes me out of town for the week.

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
26th NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:07 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />What game engine is used the BG or HPS? Which maps are used and how many turns are required per week/day? Some weeks I'd have no problems but some weeks my job takes me out of town for the week.

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
26th NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Col. Bastiani,

In more general terms, there is a month set aside for the "movement" phase, and a month set aside for the resolution of battles. It is understood that because of RL considerations, some battles may require a bit more time, but please remember that the next movement phase will not proceed until all the battles from the previous "fighting" phase have been resolved.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:47 am 

I wish to continue in the FtW Union side. It will not let me post on the link. I don't remember if I ever knew the password.

General Willie Passmore

General Willie Passmore
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps, AoP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:32 pm 
Originally posted by boilertech

<i>What game engine is used the BG or HPS? Which maps are used and how many turns are required per week/day? Some weeks I'd have no problems but some weeks my job takes me out of town for the week.

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
26th NC Inf. Regt.
II/2/4 AotM</i>
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Corinth 1.01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:48 pm 
I would like to participate on the Union side. Tried to post to the FTW site but need a login and password????

Lt. Col. Richard Meuleveld
"The Old First"
3rd Brigade
1st Division
XIV Corps
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:49 pm 
Gentlemen,

Only 6 more days to register for the restart of the Fight the War multiplayer. Who will step forward to take up arms in this great cause?

If you wish to join the FTW project, and fight the whole war from start to finish as a single multi-player campaign, then please post your intention on the A CALL TO ARMS thread at the FTW Open Forum located at http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_admin/phpBB2 ... m.php?f=10 . Please include your name, current email address, and if you’re a new player, the side on which you’d like to fight.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:17 am 
Only two more days to register for the FTW Campaign Restart. Currently nine Confederate Officers have enlisted to defend their homeland and perserve States Rights. Six Union Officers have enlisted to preserve the Union.

If you wish to participate, please post your intention on the A CALL TO ARMS thread at the FTW Open Forum located at http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_admin/phpBB2 ... m.php?f=10 . Please include your name, current email address, and if you’re a new player, the side on which you’d like to fight.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA