American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First US president
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:46 pm 
Are Continental Congress presidents considered Presidents of this country or just presidents of the Continental Congress? Or is the first President of the Confederation our first President?

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"beyond our ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm 

General Groce <salute>

Sir, my compliments! Unless history has been rewritten, George Washington was the first president of the United States.

From my brief reading the President of the Congress had its first member in 1774, with the last resigning in 1788. The position had little authority and preceded the government of the United States as outlined in the Constitution, ratified in 1788. The Constitution, by my understanding, holds that government is separated into three equal entities: Executive, Judicial, and Legislative.

The Continental Congress served its purpose during the struggle for independence and the following period, however was not the first presidency.

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 am 

The Presidents of the United States in Congress Assembled, are not counted as Presidents of the United States. The reasoning quite simply is that the position, as laid out by the Articles, was not that of Chief Executive. The US under the Articles had No Chief Executive, as many were afraid to consolidate any kind of power into one persons hands, fearing a repeat of their struggle under colonialism. The President of Congress' main job was that of presiding officer, and Impartial Moderator. In actuality the President of Congress had LESS power then the Speakers of the various Lower Houses of the Continental Assemblies. He also handled official correspondence but he could not answer letters or anything unless Congress Specifically ordered him to.

so basically the President of the United States in Congress Assembled was little more then a Ceremonial Position, with essentially no real Authority. So the 16 Men who all served in that position, dating back to the 1st Continental Congress are not recognized as Presidents. Though many of them attained fame through that office.

Capt. Jason Fitch
commanding, 4th Bde
1st Div IX Corps
Army of the Ohio

" At the end of forty-three minutes of a desperate and unequal contest, I found the enemy completely around my flanks. To prevent a useless destruction of life, or entire capture of my regiment, I gave the order to retire. I was Honored to be forced to repeat it, and even then the brave fellow complied reluctantly -- many refused" -- Colonel Bernard Mullen, commanding 35th Indiana Infantry, 1st Irish....Report of the Actions of the 35th on the Last Day at Stone's River

Profile Send private message