American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 am 

Gents.

My Opponent and I agreed to end an Ozark Battle - 1st in a Campaign - and he sent Me a Termination bid. I accepted and we exchanged Tactical decisions for the 2nd Battle.

I ended up with the first move . . but when I opened the file . . it displayed the map and Units and ended the Turn. "Oh!" thinks Pat . . "The opening Turn must be designed with the Union as first Player . . . pity! We'll each lose a Turn as a Result."

my Opponent opend the File and Lo! The optional Rules had all been altered. (Originally ALL Rules were selected except for 2 or 3 . . . NOW most are de-selected . . .

How Do I fix this???

The Game hadn't allowed Me access to the first Turn . . so I couldn't/can't alter them there . . . . .

Many Thanks.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Lieutenant General.
Highland Division.
II Corps.
Army of Georgia.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am 
Try reloading the file where he sent the terminaion bid and proceed from there, I believe at some point one of you will be able to check the rules.

Lt. Gen. D. Groce
Commander
V Corps AotP
"beyond our ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David Groce</i>
<br />Try reloading the file where he sent the terminaion bid and proceed from there, I believe at some point one of you will be able to check the rules.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes. It's easy to miss, I believe you have to actually select the "rules" button somewhere instead of just saying "OK", but often the first player doesn't get anything to do, except set the rules.

<center>Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
[url="http://www.acwgc-usa.org/"]Image[/url]
<i>"... and keep moving on."</i>
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 am 
That's exactly the case....the rules set to whatever rules were on your puter from previous scenarios you had played most likely....The only time you can change them is during that first screen....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:59 pm 

Gentlemen!

In the excitement of it all . . . We managed to get that Campaign file repaired and re-started.

My Thanks to Y'all for Your ever- excellent assistance! :D :mrgreen:

Pat.

AoG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 pm 

Patrick et. al.,

Many of us play multiple scenarios from the same game including scenarios from the Main Engine and scenarios from the Campaign Engine. These scenarios may be played against the A.I. or against a human opponent (i.e. PBEM). Each of the two engines remembers the "Optional Rules" settings from its most previous game. Hank is absolutely correct in this.

I employ the following procedure whenever playing a PBEM Campaign Game that is in transition from one scenario to the next, that is to say, when the decision screens begin to appear.

First, I e-mail my opponent reminding him of the necessity of synchronizing our "optional rules" settings. In this e-mail I ask him to follow the same procedure that I am performing on my computer.

Second, I start a game in the Campaign Engine of my computer against the A.i. using those "Optional Rules" that I and my opponent have agreed upon. I save it and then exit.

Third, I continue as normal, downloading his file, making my decision, and returning it. He should not extract the file that I've sent until he has followed the above procedure.

In total this all can be accomplished in a matter of a couple of minutes and ensures no disruption in your play.

Remember: SYNCHRONIZATION

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 pm 

Thanks Larry! :mrgreen:

Generally speaking . . . I download and save the file from my opponent (if it's zipped) and open the relevant folder, 'ctrl F' to open a search and search for pbem.xxx and pbem.yyy files.

I then delete these files.

I then unzip the Turn File and open the Turn via the Game. At this point the Engine writes a 'fresh' pbem.xxx file and builds a new pbem.yyy file as I play my Turn.

I believe . . . tho' I do stand to be corrected - that this maintains the Optional Rules as selected when my Game was first set up. :?:

What actually occured with this particular Campaign game, was that I received the Tactical Decision stage of the 2nd Battle and when the Engine reached the stage where it was opening the 1st Turn of the Battle . . . . I didn't check the Optional Rules settings, presuming that They would be retained by the xxx and yyy files.

During this particular phase in a Campaign . . . the xxx and yyy files don't maintain the OR's from the 1st Battle, so we had to revert back to the last turn File played, and repeat the sequence from there. THIS time - when I opened the 1st Turn for the 2nd Battle, I selected the required OR's and away we went towards Merry Mayhem again!! :D

As an aside . . . I once had a little .exe file inserted into each Game folder, which when I double clicked it, would search the Game files for .xxx and .yyy files and deleted them . . .

Does anyone have a copy of this small program available? I'd appreciate having it again.

I believe Bill Peters wrote the version I used to have on my old Computer. :wink:

Pat.

AoG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:03 pm 

Pat,

There is a down load at the Scenario Design Center
http://hist-sdc-downloads.blogspot.com/

I believe it's the same one by Bill Peters