American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:52 pm 

Gentlemen of the Army of the Potomac,

The new AotP tavern the Gettysburg Arms is now open for business. Please plan on frequenting it as it will now be the site of our monthly musters, and clam bake.

http://www.acwgc-usa.org/forums/viewfor ... 4d69d6757c

Did I mention that all AotP officers drink for free?

:mrgreen:

United States of America

"Forward! For God's sake, forward!"

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 am 

On a technical note, you will have to register for the new Union Army forums AND be added to the Army of the Potomac user group there by either an administrator or General Roubaud before you can access the Gettysburg Arms. The former is instant, the latter may take a day or so. Bear with us.

3/2/VIII Army of the Shenandoah
"... and keep moving on."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 am 

Gentlemen of the Confederacy it is requested that you do not join these forum/taverns until a special task force lead by myself conducts a full and complete audit of all bar facilities and the drinks provided. A full report will be submitted to this forum once my assessment is complete.

General Bastiani and Colonel Stiles please report to my HQ for pre audit briefing - bring a spare liver 8)

Lieutenant General Cam McOmish
Duty CSA Tavern Raiding Officer

AKA

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:34 am 
My spy within the AotP assures me they sell nothing but water-downed liquor and cigars imported from Canada. When I asked about the female companions available his only reply was that I would have better luck finding an attractive face inside of a morgue.

In other words the tavern is a perfect meeting place for Yankees! But for us Southern Gentlemen we will find our amusements elsewhere :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 pm 

Officers of the Confederacy I wish to report on our official audit of the new Union Taverns. After being way laid at a number of drinking establishments on the way we arrived at the new Union Taverns at 0900hrs. We were met at the door by a short unassuming man and given a long list of things you can’t do. Ignoring this list we went on inside. By no stretch of the imagination could the place be called flash, but it did have a large bar – which for the next 8 hours we gave a damn good work out. The barkeep was most excellent (for a yank) and managed to keep up a respectable 3 drinks per minute serving rate. The beer and whiskey is certainly drinkable (I am sure some of it was from the south?). Having built up a fierce hunger we marched (staggered) off to the BBQ. Although there was food a plenty, it was not up to southern standards, so if you have a delicate stomach bring a picnic.

After the BBQ and a minute to sober up we headed for the Gettysburg Arms and the Winchester Arms. This is where things came to a grinding halt – we could not get in, they were both locked. Both had signs on the door saying (I kid you not) “Stay away you naughty Rebs”. Now us Confederates are amazing fellows, but we cannot audit or raid a place that is locked as tight as Fort Knox– primarily because the outer foyer is not large enough for us to get a 20lb Parrot Gun lined up on either Tavern door. So with some disappointment we headed back to the main bar to drown our sorrows and any handy yanks.
At 0900hrs the following morning we shown the door (kicked out). However no loss as the bar was dry. So many thanks to my audit team - General Bastiani and Colonel Stiles. A great effort men – a well oiled Western Theater drinking machine.

So our official assessment is 7 out of 10 – not to bad for yanks

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm 

A Yankee among us, how can this be. A Union General living in Charlotte,NC. whats this world coming too :cry:

1st Corp Naval Detachment
2nd Engineering Blte
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:40 am 

There! You see! This is exactly why the AotT has installed this new fangled thing from New York called a disco ball in the Old Abe Tavern!

We've got the geared contraption hung down through the roof with the drive train connected to a mule outside. When these freeloaders from the South come in we watch them closely for their typical signs of overindulgence or pesky snooping. As soon as we notice them getting out of hand, the barkeep slaps the wall behind him a couple of times to get the mule walking around in his harnessed, circular path and the disco ball begins to slowly turn. With that, virtually every Confederate officer in the place immediately runs over underneath the ball and stares upward with their mouths hanging open in a sort of frozen rhapsody, completely oblivious to their surroundings. The poor child-like creatures just stand there until they become so mesmerized that they fall down in a coma-like state. Then we merely drag them out back and lay them in the straw and shade to sleep it off.

Come the morning we give them a few biscuits fried in bacon grease, point them in the direction of the slit trenches and watch them double-over in sudden bouts of uncontrolled retching. When there are more than one, the boys take bets on which will double-over the furthest or remain in that position the longest. But it's usually all over within five to ten minutes, at which time they courteously but confusedly take their leave, seemingly completely ignorant of their recent activities of the night or afternoon previous. We believe that the disco ball exerts something of a memory loss upon them in this regard, as we seen the same officers already succumb to the drill a number of times!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 am 

boilertech wrote:
A Yankee among us, how can this be. A Union General living in Charlotte,NC. whats this world coming too :cry:

I believe Union sentiment was always strong in NC, so it figures.

3/2/VIII Army of the Shenandoah
"... and keep moving on."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 am 

Why General Meyer Suh, sounds like you've experience this yore self, with the fried biscuit and bacon grease. As for the disco ball that remains me of the time we were out hunting squirrels with spot lights and came upon some union soldiers and when the light hit them they just froze so all we had to do was walk up to them tie em up and lead them back to came and shipped them off to Ft. Lawton the new and finest POW came in the South.

1st Corp Naval Detachment
2nd Engineering Blte
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 pm 

boilertech wrote:

Sir,

You haven't been here in a while, I see. Charlotte has been a "Northern Colony" for at least 25 years...although lately my side of town more resembles Northern Mexico.

United States of America

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm 

D.S. Walter wrote:
boilertech wrote:

I believe Union sentiment was always strong in NC, so it figures.

Quite correct, General. North Carolina and Tennessee were always hotbeds of Union sympathy. Ironically enough, it's only after the Yankees took the state over that the locals have become such ardent seperatists.

We have that effect on people apparently.

:P

United States of America

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 am 

Hi Phil:

I came by for a sit down and a cool brew since you were buying. I see Joe Meyer stopped by too and posted. He is figured promentately in a recent AotC Tavern post too. Congratulations again on the new position. I suppose the Rebs will be happy to learn that a Maryland boy like me now lives in Mississippi.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 am 

General McOmish
Cam,
Beg to report on the findings of a certain "scout" I have employed (I shall be seeking compensation for the fee's paid out of mine own pocket) to investigate the facilities at the Gettysburg Arms.
To whit, my "scout" has discovered that not only is the beer watered down (plegh!), but so is the whiskey and even worse there is no smoking allowed anywhere on the premises! Now I don't know about you, but if I can't get rip-roaring drunk on whiskey and then light up a big 'ol Habana, I'm just not going to approve this place for Confederate occupation.
Furthermore, having spent a great deal of time in Gettysburg, I'm not sure I recognize the establishment's name on any official list of even Union government sanctioned establishments licensed to sell alcoholic spirits! This leads my "fact finding team" to believe that the establishment is questionable in nature and short of a change in management, would not be a fit place for Good Southron Gentlemen. (however, the scallywags who populate MY infantry corps would fit right in; "Psst...Jan, Paul, get the boys roused up quick, afore the Yankee's know we're comin!")
I remain, sir, your obedient servant...