American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PC Help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm 

This is not strictly gaming-related but it annoys me still. I use the keyboard a lot, and when writing I move in the text with the arrow keys. I am so used to it, it has become subconscious, and it's hard for me to use the mouse instead (it would also be infinitely slower). Now the arrow keys on my home computer have sort of become a problem. Every other time I use them they not only become partly or completely dysfunctional (sometimes I also get an error "beep"), but they also do something odd to my keyboard. It's like they are locking the CTRL key, especially when I used both together (for jumping whole words at a time). I can no longer write, instead I am initiating keyboard shortcuts, like I type "w" and the window closes (CTRL-w). It's extremely annoying.

This is Windows Vista. I don't have the same problem with other computers, and with this computer it's started only recently, but it's getting worse every day. That's what's most vexing. It's emphatically not a physical problem with this keyboard. I tried other keyboards on the same computer; same problem. I already deleted and re-installed the keyboard drivers; no joy.

Does anybody have an idea what else I could try? I have searched the internet literally for hours and found nobody else with exactly this problem. (I had three keyboard locks just typing this message.)

Any suggestion would be most deeply appreciated.

3/2/VIII Army of the Shenandoah
"... and keep moving on."

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: PC Help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:17 pm 
D.S. Walter wrote:
This is not strictly gaming-related but it annoys me still. I use the keyboard a lot, and when writing I move in the text with the arrow keys. I am so used to it, it has become subconscious, and it's hard for me to use the mouse instead (it would also be infinitely slower). Now the arrow keys on my home computer have sort of become a problem. Every other time I use them they not only become partly or completely dysfunctional (sometimes I also get an error "beep"), but they also do something odd to my keyboard. It's like they are locking the CTRL key, especially when I used both together (for jumping whole words at a time). I can no longer write, instead I am initiating keyboard shortcuts, like I type "w" and the window closes (CTRL-w). It's extremely annoying.

This is Windows Vista. I don't have the same problem with other computers, and with this computer it's started only recently, but it's getting worse every day. That's what's most vexing. It's emphatically not a physical problem with this keyboard. I tried other keyboards on the same computer; same problem. I already deleted and re-installed the keyboard drivers; no joy.

Does anybody have an idea what else I could try? I have searched the internet literally for hours and found nobody else with exactly this problem. (I had three keyboard locks just typing this message.)

Any suggestion would be most deeply appreciated.

I would bet that your keyboard is probably broken.

Well I would suggest that you try and connect a different keyboard to your computer and if that keyboard works without any problem then it's something wrong with your orignial keyboard and not anything with your computer.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:27 am 

Dierk, I've always gone to the expert advice with something like this; and you'll find some excellent help at http://www.greyknight17.com/. I've used this help board a number of times and I've always gotten a response within 24 hours.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:40 am 

Hi Dierk: (I'm really a big "fan" of Vista ... and have had as many headaches as probably humanly possibly using this fine an fully functioning OS from the fine folks at Microsoft-- I hear Windows 7 is much better ( but I can't afford the upgrade at this point -so it is all so much of a rumor for me :D).

Is it possible that maybe one of Vista's (I think it is only Vista- but could be wrong) nasty Ease of Access options got selected?

I seem to remember that some of them could get activated even just by holding a key down for too long.

Anyways to have a look on your machine -- go in to:

Control Panel -then to Ease of Access -then to Ease of Access Center -then make the keyboard easier to use - and check out the option (I think if they all are deselcted then that is what -might- be what you want to start working with to see if it is an OS related thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:15 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that apparently there is a problem with the USB ports. I have five at the rear of the machine and two in front. I usually keep the permanent stuff like keyboards at the rear, obviously, leaving the front ones for USB sticks, digital cameras and the like. Just to eliminate all possible sources of malfunction, I plugged the keyboard into a front USB port, and it works like a charm. Of course this isn't a desirable permanent solution ... but at least I can type. Now what about those rear UBS ports--how can I fix those? The machine is just over a year old, but I'd hate to send it back to the manufacturer, being without a computer for a fortnight or so ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 pm 

Dierk,

What kind of system are using? Is there any color coding on the rear ports? Could be numerous possibilities depending on the system like dual USB\SATA ports (which are ususally some color other than black). It's not a MAC is it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 am 

D.S. Walter wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that apparently there is a problem with the USB ports. I have five at the rear of the machine and two in front. I usually keep the permanent stuff like keyboards at the rear, obviously, leaving the front ones for USB sticks, digital cameras and the like. Just to eliminate all possible sources of malfunction, I plugged the keyboard into a front USB port, and it works like a charm. Of course this isn't a desirable permanent solution ... but at least I can type. Now what about those rear UBS ports--how can I fix those? The machine is just over a year old, but I'd hate to send it back to the manufacturer, being without a computer for a fortnight or so ...

Ah got it - so if it is out of warranty -the easiest and cheapest (has to probably be less than postage) way to go is, if you have a free PCI slot on your motherboard (if you haven't added anything - more than likely that is the situation.

something like these: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Your local computer hardware shop should have them -and probably at comparable prices. All these are going to be plug and play -so at most all you are going to need is a phillips head screw driver and maybe 10 minutes of time.

Leastwise, that is how I would handle it (and have in the past). Keine Problem :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm 

zinkyusa wrote:
Dierk,

What kind of system are using? Is there any color coding on the rear ports? Could be numerous possibilities depending on the system like dual USB\SATA ports (which are ususally some color other than black). It's not a MAC is it?

Hell no, it's a Dell XPS 430 Quad 2.50 GHz. No color coding on the ports. Just 5 ports in 2 rows with a black frame ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm 

S_Trauth wrote:
Ah got it - so if it is out of warranty -the easiest and cheapest (has to probably be less than postage) way to go is, if you have a free PCI slot on your motherboard (if you haven't added anything - more than likely that is the situation.

something like these: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Your local computer hardware shop should have them -and probably at comparable prices. All these are going to be plug and play -so at most all you are going to need is a phillips head screw driver and maybe 10 minutes of time.

Leastwise, that is how I would handle it (and have in the past). Keine Problem :)

Didn't know it was that easy. Thanks! That sounds like something I should try.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 am 

Update: Not so good. I got me a USB hub card, it did install fine (plug and play indeed), only it doesn't fix the problem. The keyboard acts up with these new ports all the same. Apparently it's not the USB ports afterall, but something more central to the system. What I STILL can't figure out though is why the keyboard works fine with the front USB ports. It's a computer mystery. Ask me why I hate computers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:53 am 

Perhaps there is a missing driver? Go to Device Manager and check if there are any error icons concerning USB.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:01 pm 

Ernie Sands wrote:
Perhaps there is a missing driver? Go to Device Manager and check if there are any error icons concerning USB.

Thanks, but no errors. I am beginning to think I need a new main board. This machine is less than two years old, and it was quite expensive too. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 pm 

Perhaps it is the keyboard? If you can get hold of another one, try it on your computer OR try your keyboard on another computer.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 am 

Ernie Sands wrote:
Perhaps it is the keyboard? If you can get hold of another one, try it on your computer OR try your keyboard on another computer.

Thanks! I tried two different keyboards. They're both fine on the front ports and they both act up on the rear ports.

Problem remains (other than that on a comparatively new machine it just shouldn't be that way) that there are only two front ports and if one's blocked by the keyboard I am often one short, and I don't appreciate crawling under the table just to plug in a flash drive. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:16 pm 

Well, how about a multi-port USB hub. You can get them in 4 ports and they should not be very pricey and that might help your crawling. Belkin and others make them. It doesn't solve your USB port problem, but should help your basic problem.

Of course, you could give your child computer lessons; they crawl very well. :lol: :lol:

ACWGC Records Site Admin