American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am 

The sound of military bands fills the air - "Dixie", "Bonnie Blue Flag" and many other Southern Patriotic tunes. After marching past the Virginia State Capitol the first units of the Army of Northern Virginia are approaching the saluting dias where General John Newton the retiring Commanding Officer is about to receive the salute. Behind General Newton stand a group of the most prominent citizens and military men in the Confederacy.

General Newton Sir. This parade of the Army of Northern Virginia is in your honour. The officers and men insist on demonstrating their regard and high esteem for their retiring commander. Your contribution to the Southern Cause, the ACWGC and especially the Army of Northern Virginia has been immense. You will be sorely missed in the CO ANV role Sir. We are delighted that you remain with us in new position.

The various units of the Army of the Northern Virginia march past saluting their CO:

Last edited by sstiles on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm 

Gen. Newton, Sir

It gives me great pleasure to have known you these years. I had those times that we had laugh and then those times that we have cried. I will not be long to follow you in retired.....since term is almost up.

I am expected to join you soon on the river...fishing.

We will miss you.....

General
Chief of Armies - CSA
ACWGC Cabinet Member

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Abraham Lincoln
January 12, 1848.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm 

Gen. Newton Suh! <Salute>

Sir,
it has been a honour and a great privilege to have known you and serve under your command.
The best wishes.

Maj. Gen. Giorgio Beacco
2nd "Palmetto Guards" Division
3rd Corps
ANV

2nd Division Palmetto Guars
III Reserve Corps "The Swamp Legion"
ANV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm 

Sir,

As a formerly retired officer who didn't find the civilian life to his liking, I can only hope you do as I did and will return to us one day.

However, if that is not the case, thank you for your service to this fine club.

I salute you.

Cpt Cushman
ANV
I Corp
"First Forward" Divisional Artillery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 pm 

Well done General Newton <salute> I am not to sure it is such a good idea to have a grand review at the same time as a big bar bash at the Clump of Trees - is it normal to feel sea sick on parade?

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
General Newton Suh! <salute>

John, with tears in my eyss and a lump in my throat I salute you and all your accomplishments, which are too numerous to name. You and I have had a long and fullyfilling Friendship here in the Club since the early days at VMI. It is the dedication of Officers like yourself that truely make this a very special place to be.

Please enjoy your quiet time at Brigade command (afightin Yankees) and know Suh that you will always have a special place in my heart.

Your Friend!

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant, VMI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 pm 
The AotM has spent the past weekend aboard trains and marching through the Confederacy from train station to train station in order to be here, sir! Please pardon our smell and our manners as we Western men aren't none too accustomed to these here Eastern society like places.

We have come to salute you and honor your dedication and commitment to the Club.

Army of the Mississippi! ATTENTION

<SALUTE>

Now we better get back West before those dumb Yanks realize the only thing holding Corinth is a bunch of scarecrows, watermelons, and angry dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:16 pm 

General Newton Suh! The South is losing a fine commander indeed, i have had the great pleasure to call you my commander and friend over the years, and it saddens me to see you leave. Take good care!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm 

"Farewell old friend, us privates loved you because you made us love ourselves!" :D

You are the finest example of the best the CSA has to offer!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 am 

John,

As army commander you always gave all that you had to give, during that time you guided the ANV through stormy times and calm seas and always kept on course and I am grateful for your service to the Eastern Theater and to the Army of Northern Virginia.

We have worked together in some form or other for many a year now, you have always been a constant source of ideas and inspiration. Over the last few years we've come to know each other pretty well and I know that just because you are stepping down from command of the Army of Northern Virginia it won't be long before you have gotten me involved in some new club project or another.
So my friend enjoy your time at brigade command, don't forget to muster and always know that if you need anything at all my tent flap is always open.

<SALUTE>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 pm 

General Newton <salute>

John, I didn't realize you were retiring when I read that you were stepping down from command of the ANV. What to say?

Thank you for everything you have done for the ACWGC over the years, and especially the comradry and lessons given me during our time together at VMI when I was a stinky lieutenant. Those were enjoyable and rewarding times for me as I was learning my way around the club, and I join others who hope that you might reappear someday or perhaps visit on special occassions as an honored guest of the CSA.

Be well my friend,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
John,
It has been an honor and privilege to have known and served with you, first in the AoG
and later with the Eastern Theater, as ANV commander. I thankyou for your comradeship
and being always eager and willing to help with any questions I had on the ACWGC, duties,
administration or just discussions in general.
You are an outstanding commander and have always displayed the best attributes of a true leader.
I salute your service to the CSA in various leadership positions, and most recently the ANV.
You are a credit to the club, ANV, and CSA and have served with pride in the highest traditions of our Southern armies and institutions. I am also glad to read you will stay on in another capacity.

Your comrade in arms,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 am 

General Newton, <salute>

It has been a great privilege to serve under your command. I learned a lot from you and you were always helpful when there were any problems.
I am sorry you are retiring from commanding the proud ANV.

BG Michael Gandt
3rd Cavalry Division/ II Corps / ANV

ANV, CSA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 am 

Thanks for all your efforts over the years Sir!

<salute>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:33 am 
General Newton <salute>

It has been an honor and pleasure to serve under your command.

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"
-General Jackson