American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Habits?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 pm 

I would like to know how many other players there are out there who are in the habit of drinking a few beers as they play their turns and who they are! This might provide me with another edge in my own game play and help to beef up my win-loss record.

I will admit, however, that I've grown fond of munching a bowl of corn chips as I play my own turns. So fond, in fact, that when my wife hears me crinkling around in the kitchen opening the chip bag, that she says, "Oh! You must be getting ready to play another turn!" These days she has also learned to keep an emergency bag of chips on hand in case I should run out and create another terrible scene about it! Also, I've become so addicted to this practice that I now regularly turn my keyboard upside down and shake out the crumbs, especially after a particularly lengthly turn! No one told me that I would develope such bad habits when I joined this club, but I figure that if I'm doing things like this, there must be others out there equally hooked.

Come on, now, be truthful! Any smokers out there who cannot get through a turn without a cigarette or cigar? I used to be a puffer in my day (not anymore now, though) and I know how calming a good smoke could be from time to time in tense situations. How many of you have experienced a computer failure from the overheating effects of smoke tar being laid down on your processor's heat sink, or have to clean your monitor screen(s) once a month?

How about those of you who hate to be interrupted during a turn, or who completely tune out everything else as you are taking your move? Has your wife or significant other ever disgustingly looked at you afterwards and accusingly stated, "You haven't hear a thing I said at all, have you?" How many of you have the luxury of a mancave to pursue your battles?

How many of you have disabled the realtime display clock on your computer so that you won't be reminded of how much time you're actually spending on these games?

How many of you, in a particularly critical turn, push back from your computer and begin pacing back and forth in deep thought before sitting back down? How many of you mentally pace back and forth for a day or two or more before answering your opponent's turn? How many of you display such worried countenances from time to time as to elicit the concerned question from your wife, "Is it really THAT BAD this time?!"

Has you boss at work ever asked you why you called him "General?"

Finally, how many of you lay your head down upon your pillow at night and actually think about what you're going to do on your next turn(s) and/or replay some of your moves in your head? After all, your wife or significant other, although they may suspect as much, can't get inside your head to see what you're actually thinking, so it's a fairly safe time to do it! And, if I may be so forthright in my questioning, how many of you have actually snuck back to your computer in the wee hours of the morning at least once and done a move without anyone in your family being the wiser, just because you were afraid that the solution you were dreaming about and which woke you up might be lost if you continued sleeping?

I'm going to go out into the back yard now and get some badly needed gardening done!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Habits?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:46 pm 

I've come to eating unsalted peanuts while playing and watching(listenin) to my TV which is next to my computer. I've also been known to utter, no, shout an expletive when my third attempt to melee fails and other such exasperating incidents.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 pm 

Well during the weekends I've been know to mix either some Jamesons or Maker's Mark with ginger ale while I contemplate how to restore the Union, or defeat Napoleon, or put Germany back in it's place, depending on what game I'm playing. I usually like to put the headphones on as I like to listen to the music and in the evenings I play while the wife watches her soaps on the DVR and we can both be undisturbed.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm 

For good reason, I NEVER eat or drink anything around my computer.

I do, occasionally, listen to various music stations while playing games.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:09 am 

I will frequently smoke a pipe during a turn, but I have learned that it's best if I leave the beer alone until I am done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:36 am 

I think my greatest need during game turns must be for background music. My ACW game installs are now each typically 1.25 GB's in size of which just over 1 GB is wav. sound music files!

To augment the HPS files I have the soundtrack to the film "Glory", the theme from "Gods and Generals", the "Ashokan Farewell" track from the Ken Burns civil war documentary and great period styled versions of the "Battle hymn of the republic" & the "Battle cry of freedom". A wonderful medley of versions of "Sweet Gary Owen" for moving Cavalry around to and the solemn magnificence of "Siegrieds Funeral March" for when things are going against me!

I just realised that music was what was missing from my Panzer Campains games so I've had fun setting about adding a soundtrack to those games too ...I realised that you can replace the background sound tracks with music files quite simply.

So as far as a gaming habit goes it must be music, music and more music.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 am 

I prefer to play in the early morning before work. I drink coffee and listen to jazz. I've also been known to swivel my seat and grab the sax and play along.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 pm 

David Danner wrote:
I prefer to play in the early morning before work. I drink coffee and listen to jazz. I've also been known to swivel my seat and grab the sax and play along.

I've been known to strum the guitar during opponent moves.

Davis, R., Lt Gen.
VMI Class of 2011
3d Cavalry Brigade, 3d Division, III Corps
'Partisan Rangers'
Army Of Alabama
CSA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 am 
Dean Martin. I am not sure why but when I play these games there is some sort of Pavlovian Dog effect and I turn on Dean Martin more than half the time if I know I am going to be playing for a while. If I plan to spen a very long time than I turn baseball on in the background.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 am 

Somehow, Blake, the sound of "Return to me" in the background while Howard's XI Corp is retreating precipitously and the sound of "Strike three" by the Umpire all have a curious synergy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:23 pm 

:lol: :lol: :roll:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 pm 

Favorite time to play turns: Sunday night. Gets the mind off of the upcoming work week. Sometimes have some chips/pretzels along with a nice cold beverage. In the background is usually some sports. I tend to be extremely distracted when my beloved Red Sox are on (which also explains the fact that I have never in 7+ years in the club referred to my troops as Yankees in my e-mail banter with my opponent).

Would partake in a cigar but the C.O. (the Mrs.) has a strict policy forbiding smoking in the house.

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm 

This is one of the best topics I have read in a while, I certainly have enjoyed reading every response. I typically eat and have a whole host of food & drink going as I play my various games.....

If I am playing a fellah in an all weekend marathon of turns, I just eat all weekend to keep my energy up, have been known to do a 12 hour turn tossing marathon once a while. I do it because during the week I often can only play a turn a night if I am lucky/feel like it....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 am 
You havent played Antietam until you heard Dean croon "Sway" while Burnside attacks your flank!

And watching my Cubbies make a new art of losing makes me feel better about myself when I get my clock cleaned on the battlefield. I figure... at least I'm not THAT bad!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:28 pm 

General Meyer,

It must be admitted I always have a beverage at hand when playing the games, coffee if it’s early or ice tea if midday...off times a beverage containing alcohol in some percentage and I’ve been know to snack on something or the other, on occasion eating lunch or dinner while engrossed in a replay or a turn....unfortunately these bad habits have only added to my girth and not my skill on the field of battle.

I have been known to cuss during an especially nasty replay or an unexpected defense fire or melee result and yes I have gone to bed, turn uncompleted, thoughts of possible moves shuffling through my head...perchance to dream, to sleep on it.

Least now I know I’m not alone in many of these particular habits. Course I am never alone when fighting these battles as my trusted chief of staff cat, Bubba is always in his chair next to me, napping or looking for an ear or belly scratched. Most of the time he wants nothing to do with me or anybody else for that matter but as soon as I set down at the computer he comes and jumps into his chair where he stays till I finish.