American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Road Trip to Louisiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:47 am 

Gentlemen: I will be taking a road trip to Louisiana starting on Sunday. Any suggestions for Civil War sites would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jim Gleason
LG 3-3-I AoP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:35 pm 

General Gleason <salute>

I don't know about Civil War sites, but if you're going through Cajun Country there are some mighty fine eating places. Mulate's in Breaux Bridge is a very good place, as is Pat's in Henderson. There's also McGee's Boat Landing on the levee a couple of miles south of Henderson lol.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm 

Hi Jim:

If I were you I would go to the boyhood home of Jefferson Davis, just north of the Louisiana line outside Woodville, MS. This is a treat:

Rosemont Plantation, near Woodville, Mississippi, is the family and boyhood home of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America 1861-1865.

Rosemont is Federal architecture adapted to the Mississippi frontier. The plantation was built by the parents of Jefferson Davis, Samuel and Jane Cook Davis, when they came to Mississippi from Kentucky when President Davis was two years old. The main house is, for the greatest part, original with furnishings and memorabilia which have remained in the residence since the Davises lived there. The Davis family lived at Rosemont from 1810 until 1895. The original plantation acreage has remained in tact since the plantation was established by Samuel Davis. The mother of Jefferson Davis, as are others of his family are buried in the little family cemetery on Rosemont.

This Web site contains information and history on Rosemont Plantation and Jefferson Davis. Rosemont House and the grounds are open to the public for tours.

http://www.rosemontplantation1810.com/

Email me direct if you need help. Oh, go to Natchez.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

Last edited by David Danner on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:49 pm 

Hi, Jim,

Where are you starting?

I recommend rt 61 from Baton Rouge to Vicksburg. It is 161 miles. It will take you by Natchez as well.

Along this route you will find a number of antebellum mansions and Port Hudson, where there is a park containing a part of the fort.

Farther north, you can detour 8 miles to see the forts at Grand Gulf.

Vicksburg is a major park and has the USS Cairo, one of the river city class ironclads. For me, it is the main attraction, although they have lots of entrenchments, monuments and guns. As far as battlefield information, I think it is the best I have seen.

In New Orleans, about 50 miles from Baton Rouge in a different direction, there used to be a Confederate museum, but it has been quite awhile since I was there and don't know if it is still open. Also a monument to the New Orleans Washington Artillery overlooking the Mississippi. Metairie Cemetery had a lot of mausoleums dedicated to Confederate units, as I recall.

Have never been to the forts near New Orleans and don't know what shape they are in.

Other than that, they have a nice little battlefield park at Mansfield, but that is quite a ways from Baton Rouge in the NW part of Louisiana near Shreveport.

Can't think of anything else in Louisiana. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
I know its not the Civil War but I hear the WW2 Museum is a MUST!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 am 

Jim,

Being that you’re diving I’d recommend taking the the Natchez Trace Parkway for part of the trip, 444 miles of scenic parkway with 10,000 years of North American history. It starts just SW of Nashville Tenn. and goes through Jackson Miss. to Natchez Miss. I did about 100 miles on it several years ago and it was a very pleasant ride. Vicksburg isn’t very far from Jackson and New Orleans is due south.

Also Beauvoir, Jeff Davis’s home after the war in Biloxi Miss. not far from New Orleans, it’s right on the gulf and was just about leveled during Katrina , has since been rebuilt. And of course I’d also recommend the WW II Museum in New Orleans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:38 am 
Neal Hebert wrote:
General Gleason <salute>

I don't know about Civil War sites, but if you're going through Cajun Country there are some mighty fine eating places. Mulate's in Breaux Bridge is a very good place, as is Pat's in Henderson. There's also McGee's Boat Landing on the levee a couple of miles south of Henderson lol.

Taking eating advice from a Cajun who spends most of his time talking to a Gator?

Man, your bound to find yourself eating something that's either still moving or something that will keep you from moving the day after :shock: