American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Ideological Considerations 33%  33%  [ 11 ]
Family Obligations 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Geographical Determination 52%  52%  [ 17 ]
Religious Considerations 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Wouldn't Have Chosen a Side 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 pm 
Jefferson H. Davis wrote:
I agree Al....if he was gonna kill Lincoln, he should have done so much earlier.....When he actually did it, it was not positive for the South.....

Oddly, my last extended answer to this topic is not posted for some reason.....I will choose to believe it must have been operator error onmy part.....

Yankee saboteurs! :mrgreen:

Lincoln's murder was a huge loss for the whole country in 1865. The only thing comparable to that was when the South lost Stonewall in 1863. Both men embodied everything their Causes stood for. And, not surprisingly, since their deaths both men have become uniquely mystical and practically worshipped as martyrs by us Civil War nerds. Had either one lived to a ripe old age it would be interesting to see how differently history would have treated them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:37 pm 
One never knows....lol...I coverd such unknown but true topics like why our State police are not named the "State Police".....I bet there are not but a handful of us who know why, becaue it is not taught anymore.....A more politically correct version is taught now.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 pm 
Getting shot definatly benefitted Lincoln historically speaking.....he became a martyr......It also benefitted Kennedy....Kennedy accomplished absolutely nothing, and yet just this morning I saw him credited with civil rights legislation that he did not get passed....Lyndon Johnson got those bills passed....Kenedy did not, however, since he is a martyr, he gets credit for what he had on his agenda, that the man after him accomplished.....Even the Cuban missle crisis which he supposedly did such a great job on turned out to be a big Soviet win.....They got exactly what they really wanted (Our short range missles near their border removed) in exchanged for not announcing that they got it.....Soviet victory all the way....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm 
Getting shot definatly benefitted Lincoln historically speaking.....he became a martyr......It also benefitted Kennedy....Kennedy accomplished absolutely nothing, and yet just this morning I saw him credited with civil rights legislation that he did not get passed....Lyndon Johnson got those bills passed....Kenedy did not, however, since he is a martyr, he gets credit for what he had on his agenda, that the man after him accomplished.....Even the Cuban missle crisis which he supposedly did such a great job on turned out to be a big Soviet win.....They got exactly what they really wanted (Our short range missles near their border removed) in exchanged for not announcing that they got it.....Soviet victory all the way....

Yeah but we outlasted the Soviets in the end.

Patton was another who benefitted from a timely death. I guess history is full of those instances: Caesar, Joan of Arc, Davy Crockett to name a few. But Lincoln and Jackson, IMHO, deserved their credit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm 
I give Lincoln credit.....just NOT in a positive way....lol....I think he was a skilled politician who used every dirty trick in the world to accomplish his goal.......My point about the Cuban missle crisis was that the Soviets won that round and our history tells the opposite....And yes we did outlast them......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm 

I agree Al....if he was gonna kill Lincoln, he should have done so much earlier.....When he actually did it, it was not positive for the South.....

Oddly, my last extended answer to this topic is not posted for some reason.....I will choose to believe it must have been operator error on my part.....

Probably, Hank. I do not remember seeing it and I read this board several times per day.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:21 pm 
My computer is more elderly than you or I Ernie....My browser freezes a lot.....I suspect that it must have done so and not successfully posted my reply, or I simply intercoursed up (Notice the ever so polite and politically correct slang).......I don't think it was deleted....I was just dissappointed to see that after the effort I put into composing it, that it was not there.....Believe it or not, the main reason that I do not post much anymore, is that I find these debates highly unpleasant. I'm just not sure I want to bother going through the effort a second time.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 pm 

I, sometimes, have had the same problem in posting. For long messages, I always try to COPY the entire message before SUBMIT. On short ones, I do not bother to copy. :lol:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 pm 
I used to do that.....Then I had problems with my ID and did not post for a long time.....So I had forgotten that caution......I will have to definately copy it, or just compose it in a text editor and paste it in......