American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 pm 
You could be the frontman, if you can sing.......If not, yep, be a roadie.....Hmmm, Peresident to roadie......What a fall.......

Or Pierre and I can form a 2 person Bottlecap wargaming club.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:05 pm 
Ironic trivia for this election.....We have a Yankee running against a Rebel. The Yankee physically lives in Texas in the real world, and the Rebel in Montreal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 pm 
That is ironic! Well the CSA CoA is an Aussie and the ANV commander is a South African so I think the CSA is definitely winning the war for the hearts and minds of the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

General Desruisseaux <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

Your background with the ACWGC is impressive and I do appreciate your efforts both in its founding and the commitment since.

As time passes the Civil War becomes "ancient history" more and more. I don't know that we've experienced the hoped for "bump" in membership with the 150 year mark of the war between the states now passing, however it seems that membership has declined over the years (or so I've seen posted).

My question: Are there any thoughts on how we might reach out to the "X-Box generation" and generate a new base of potential members and gamers? I know that we do have some younger officers in the club, however suspect most are of my age (52) or perhaps even a bit older.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 pm 

Neal

excellent question.......

Tim

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm 

General <salute>

2 questions-

Do you feel that artillery in the current Tiller campaign games is correct. I believe that the Union Artillery is less effective than the Confederate Artillery, and my reading would have me believe the opposite.

Would you feel a Mexican-American War game would be useful for the club?

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm 
Genril Elkin,

I will simply state that based upon the PDT files, that I can see no basis for the Confederate Artillery to be better than the Union Artillery. I believe that overall that advantage would lie with the Union due to better overall guns. The game does not differentiate between sides with regards to the weapons. If you are using quality modifiers that could affect things, but if the game designer has done his job I would think "Advantage Union there also.....I tend to think this would strictly be a "feeling" on your part as there is nothing in the games that would make this true on an overall basis (perhaps in a few individual scenarios) .

I apologise if I am stomping on the campaign by answering this, but I think that question is more of a game design question.....Pierre can of course give his opinion......If I have sinned by trying to help here my apologies......This forum does not seem to allow us to email within the club anymore like it used to.....I would have answered you that way if so.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Neal Hebert wrote:
General Desruisseaux <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

Your background with the ACWGC is impressive and I do appreciate your efforts both in its founding and the commitment since.

As time passes the Civil War becomes "ancient history" more and more. I don't know that we've experienced the hoped for "bump" in membership with the 150 year mark of the war between the states now passing, however it seems that membership has declined over the years (or so I've seen posted).

My question: Are there any thoughts on how we might reach out to the "X-Box generation" and generate a new base of potential members and gamers? I know that we do have some younger officers in the club, however suspect most are of my age (52) or perhaps even a bit older.

Highest regards,

I think the answer is to make sure we have as much exposure as possible on the internet. I know that some have posted 'flyers' at various sites. I added the sister clubs links at the MDT and their forums. This was to help the Panzer and other era folks to see the other clubs and what they are about. I think the club needs to be current and have an environment that would attract younger people. I see a lot of bureaucracy creeping in and in my statement I mentioned that I would review systems and procedures to see what we can do, as a club, to improve the environment. I also mentioned in my statement that I converted the join forms from CGI to PHP. This is improving and implementing new technologies a minor one but important. I have acted over the last 15 years to improve the club. I feel as President that it will provide the necessary personal incentive to continue helping the club and to move it forward. Anything that is done will be with the important help of the Cabinet and ultimately the members.

General Pierre D.

5th Bde, IV Cavalry Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
ACWGC President 1997 - 2006, 2012
ACWGC Forum Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Cruces wrote:
General <salute>

2 questions-

Do you feel that artillery in the current Tiller campaign games is correct. I believe that the Union Artillery is less effective than the Confederate Artillery, and my reading would have me believe the opposite.

Would you feel a Mexican-American War game would be useful for the club?

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp-Commander
AotT

General Elkin,

There are three things that make the Union artillery more effective than the CSA in the games. The guns are more numerous. They have more ammo. Their type mix might be better. I think another difference that made the Union guns superior was the powder and fuses. The CSA had fuse problems at Gettysburg. This is not reflected in the game engine.

I did suggest that the Mexican-American War game would be a good fit since many ACW figures fought in it. The responses were rather typical, and my arguments fell on deaf ears. Basically the response was already supported in another club just go there and play. Well I responded that I did not want to join another club, go through the indoctrination, training, join a side and answer musters just to have fun playing a game with my ACWGC mates who might not be members for the above reason. I also thought it would increase our exposure and perhaps attract new members. It was dropped.

General Pierre D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm 
Members,

As much as I love friendly banter lets try to respect the purpose of the campaign threads and keep our humorous remarks reserved for elsewhere. Yes, I am guilty also. :oops: Lets allow Mark and Pierre to get back to their campaign messages and if anyone has questions feel free to post them here. I just dont want any serious points to get lost in the shuffle as we try to confirm that Pierre is aware that BB King is, indeed, the king of the Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Admin

I thought it would be appropriate to bring the statement back on top.

Fellow ACWGC members,

I am General Pierre Desruisseaux and have been a member of this Club and the Army of Georgia since its conception. I would like to first thank the members who nominated me for President and I hope to honor their faith in me.

I think that a little history about my Club involvement would be important in your evaluation of my candidacy. I am the initial founder and creator of the ACWGC. Between 1997 and 2005 I led the club in its formative and most substantial growth period. I based the Club on a particular vision. I wanted it be a social environment and an evolving community that would be great to be a part of. I wanted it to have a military structure, with members on each side, for both the role playing aspect and the interest that many would have to fill various command positions. A mentor ship would thus be achieved as members worked their way up through the ranks and command structure. I thought it important to have a quick initial member growth period, to maintain interest, with ranks that are achievable within a reasonable period. I also thought it was important to provide points for both the winner and loser in games, with the idea that experience is gained in both the winning and losing. My goal was to establish a reliable and strong club foundation and facilitate the chance for others to expand and create what the club is today. Because of the many wonderful people who have contributed to the club it has become one of the best - if not the best - war gaming club on the internet.

Since the creation of the Club in 1997 I have been responsible for a number of different aspects of it. I have supported the Club by being its primary webmaster for the main club page, Cabinet page, rules page, ACWGC join forms, both CSA and USA (recently updated from CGI script to PHP) and keeper and primary administrator for the MDT forum.

I am currently also in the ACWGC Cabinet having joined in 2011 to participate in the Club governance. In the current Cabinet I have helped accomplish the following. I proposed to the Cabinet that meetings and discussions would be better served on a private forum rather than by email. The benefits, of reduced email clutter and a better organization of the discussions and establishing a true history of what the Cabinet is and has done. Current and future Cabinet Members would thus be able to understand what was previously discussed and achieved. After overcoming initial reservations it has been working well for the last year and we have the beginnings of a real Cabinet history index for the future Cabinets to browse and study. I also proposed that Club voters use the poll feature at the forum. After some necessary changes to the polling feature the Cabinet accepted its use and it is now being voted upon by you, the Members. In order to provide more overseeing and backup I proposed that the CoA’s and the President be administrators in the MDT forums - before it was only Ernie Sands and I. They are now part of the MDT administration.

As a Cabinet member I also brought some ideas to the table to allow more people to be involved in the decision making, both to bring up points as well as to get feedback as to what members think. I suggested that either a Cabinet level or a side level position of webmaster to be created to oversee all the various websites and forums within the club. This person would have an understanding of who does what, would review backup protocols, and would help the club minimize disruptions when someone leaves and their website goes with it. I pointed out that a backup of core club systems and databases, both data and people, was needed. These ideas have not yet been implemented and require further discussion and study.

As President I will continue to provide ideas and to review the Clubs systems and structures in order to provide feedback to the Cabinet. I believe that there is always maintenance to be done as well as improvements to the way we do things. It is only normal as time goes on that updates are needed to keep the club both current and interesting for the new generation of members – and for those that have been here since day one.

I hope that the information that I provided will allow you to make an informed decision as to who will be your next club President.
I thank you for your time and consideration.

General Pierre D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm 

Good luck Pierre! :D Thanks for all your support this year... :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:47 pm 

Everyone to their own opinion, but the best Blues guitarist is Buddy Guy. But the analogy to clouds in the sky is perfect. All top musicians have their own style. Somewhat like comparing Lee and Grant as generals...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:03 pm 

General Desruisseaux, sir I read with great interest your Club activities of the past and current association. However you gave no clue revealing how, as President, you might conduct Cabinet Meetings and discourse with Club-wide attitude and general philosophy as an executive for both sides. Thanks General.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 am 
Gen. Pierre,

What is the President's role in uniting the Club? Where do you, personally, draw the line in the sand between what is considered a members personal independence of choice and their command structures perceived right to command and order actions based on the historical period we are "representing"?

At the end of the day which is more important - a members freedom of choice and thought or a command structures right to control their officers?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next