American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:41 pm 
As per Club Rules:

3.3.4.3 CAMPAIGNING Once the candidates for any election are determined, each shall be simultaneously provided with a campaign post thread in the proper forum. For all elections this shall be done by the current Club President in the Mason Dixon Tavern.

3.3.4.3.1 Candidates must first then offer a general campaign statement of their own in that thread, identifying themselves and inviting comments and/or questions from any qualified voter, including election opponents. Non-qualified voters, as defined by the rules, are excluded from this process. In the club spirit of behaving like gentlemen, however, negative statements and questions from both questioners and candidates regarding other candidates’ character may be removed, as are statements or questions designed to bait or entrap the respondent. Questions of policy, however, are allowed and open to direct examination. The election committee is charged with the monitoring of the threads; and the committee is empowered to both judge and remove any posts they may find in violation of this rule.

Gen. Nelms - the thread is yours, sir!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am 

My name is General Mark Nelms and I would like to be the next American Civil War Gaming Club President. Let me tell you about my history with the club.

I enlisted in the Union Army sometime in December, 2000 and finished my first game against a Confederate officer in early January, 2001. I worked my way up from brigade commander to Corps Commander in the Army of the Ohio and then transferred to become Army Commander of the Army of the James. I was then asked to become Union Commander of the Armies by the Cabinet after the tumultuous resignation of my predecessor, which required me to make some tough and important decisions at the time. I have also served two terms as Union representative on the Club Cabinet ending just last year. For a period I kept a database of all the game results and maintained a web page where monthly I would post a variety of reports for each of the armies (Rebel and Yank) and an analysis of the won-loss records of all the scenarios. When our record keeper resigned from the club and took down his database without warning my database had the records and I kept all the game records for the club until Don Adams built the wonderful system we use today. Currently I command a brigade in the Army of the Cumberland.

My philosophy as President is to serve as a “Chairman of the Board,” maintaining an open, fully vested democratic approach to all matters. My job would be to take any ideas/suggestions from the membership or Cabinet members and make sure they are presented to the entire Cabinet in an organized and logical fashion, where they would be freely discussed and decided upon. I would also serve as the final arbitrator to settle any tie votes.

I would make it a point to promote the club wherever and whenever possible to the best of my ability. I consider it an honor to be a member of this club and I’m not afraid to use my name in its service and would welcome any “joshing” I would take as an opportunity to introduce folks to our hobby and club. I would also work with the Cabinet members to make sure that all members are treated respectfully and that they treat others respectfully also. I would have an open door policy so that prospective and current members could contact me at any time with problems/questions that they may have and, if I don’t have the answer, then I’ll find it. I would like to work to help retain members and conduct exit polling with members who do leave to find out the reasons they left, what they liked and so on. Retention of membership is very important and the future of the Club.

I would also like to sponsor some discussions on the forum on a regular basis discussing the battles and men who fought in this great conflict. In my earlier days it seemed like we had many more of these discussions than we do now and I’d like to see them return. The membership has changed enough I think we could have some fresh discussions along these lines, especially as the 150th anniversary of these events pass. Beyond this I do not have any sweeping changes in mind as I think the club is in good shape and will work to make sure it stays that way while trying to improve it where I can with the underlying idea of making this club more fun and enjoyable always in the forefront.

I hope my experience and what I’ve accomplished over my years of service to the club will help you decide to give me your support in the upcoming election. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 am 
I have one question to uniformly ask both candidates. I was going to ask it of you now, but have decided to wait until Pierre posts his statement to his thread in order to be fair to both of you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 pm 

I know General Nelms to be something of a modest individual when it comes to his own accomplishments, so it is not surprising to me that he did not provide us with his gaming records or any of the numerous additional services he has provided and volunteered.

General Nelms is the 231st member of the ACWGC. He has played over 270 games within our club, posting a very interesting 75-30-57-25-86 record! He currently has a 4,557 OBD Point total, which ranks him as the highest active Union officer within the club! Among the awards he has received are the following: the UA Medal of Honor (3x), the Union Army Outstanding Service Medal (3x), the UA Honorable Service Medal, Union Commander of the Armies Ribbon (2-Years Service), Union Cabinet Secretary Ribbon (4-Years Service), Union Army Good Conduct Medal (2x), Meritorious Unit Citation, and over 70 battle ribbons!

One of Mark's most enduring, important and yet obscure accomplishments is his voluntary work and effort as a Union Military Academy Instructor! Mark has given more personal time and effort in this endeavor than few others could ever hope to equal! He has trained over 34 cadets, 20 of whom are still active officers within the club!

Mark has also unstintly served and committed his personal time as an Advisory Member to the Union Army's Command Staff as well as the UA Awards Committee. He is, and always has been, a frequent contributor within the forums.

I have a very deep respect and admiration of his character, knowing him to be generous, direct and affable. As long as I have been associated with him I have never known him to be anything other than the quiet, unassuming, confident individual that he is. He represents ACWGC bedrock, a solid, dependable presence, who beckons substance with his left hand while refusing innane rhetoric with his right.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:40 pm 
It is my belief that the outgoing President has led the club to reforms that were long desired by many of us who wished to see a friendlier and more transparent club. Knowing how controversial some of these reforms were among some factions within the club, I suspect that they were hard won. Suspecting that, what I wish to know, is whether, if elected, you intend to undo any of the progress Blake made in reforming the club? If so, what specific changes made during Blake's administration do you intend to undo? If not, are there any specific ideas you have for furthering the progress made by the club in the last 2 years, if any?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm 

Mark, I know something of your own personal background, but I wonder if you might tell us all a little more about what you do and where you are and have been located? I am asking the same question of Pierre.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm 

Jefferson H. Davis wrote:
It is my belief that the outgoing President has led the club to reforms that were long desired by many of us who wished to see a friendlier and more transparent club. Knowing how controversial some of these reforms were among some factions within the club, I suspect that they were hard won. Suspecting that, what I wish to know, is whether, if elected, you intend to undo any of the progress Blake made in reforming the club? If so, what specific changes made during Blake's administration do you intend to undo? If not, are there any specific ideas you have for furthering the progress made by the club in the last 2 years, if any?

I have no plans to undo anything done at this point by any of the past administrations. I don't have any specific plans for the club at this time but I'm sure opportunities will arise as things are discovered that don't work or where we are lacking. I believe the club is running well and would do my utmost to keep it that way while soliciting input from the membership and Cabinet for improvements.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm 

Joe Meyer wrote:
Mark, I know something of your own personal background, but I wonder if you might tell us all a little more about what you do and where you are and have been located? I am asking the same question of Pierre.

I'm 53 years old and been married to a wonderful woman for almost 18 years now. Two step children that I consider my own, one adorable grandson, and we have shared guardianship of an 8 year old girl that my wife and I hope to have live with us someday soon. My daughter is working on her Masters degree, my son on his Bachelors, my wife on her bachelors, and I'm seriously considering going back for a History degree. I grew up in Illinois and graduated from the University of Illinois with a degree in Agronomy, but I've resided in the Texas Panhandle for the last 30 years. I work for Pioneer Hi-Bred, a subsidiary of DuPont, as the shipping coordinator at this production location. I oversee the shipping of approximately 2 million units of seed each year, both domestically and internationally. We produce the majority of the sorghum seed sold by Pioneer at this location. I also supervise the drying and storage of the crop. We've just started harvesting this year so it's a busy 6 weeks ahead for me. I believe that working with and leading diverse groups over my 30 years at Pioneer have given me experience and training that would serve me well as Club President. I also belong to the Colonial Campaign Club, Napoleonic Wargame Club, and Panzer Campaign Club and I'm on several ladders at the Blitzkrieg Club. I've helped play test Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, Panzer Command: Ostfront, and Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich for Matrix Games and Campaign 1814: Gathering of Eagles plus two not yet completed titles for John Tiller Software. Besides wargaming my other hobbies include reading, watching sports (especially football), and perfecting my BBQ recipes much to the detriment of my waistline.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 am 
Random questions just for fun:

1) We all love BBQ! What type of BBQ is your favorite?
2) Which is a better day to watch football - Saturday or Sunday?
3) If the Chicago Cubs play the St. Louis Cardinals who are you rooting for? Or, if the Bears play the Rams? (to those who dont understand why I ask its because I also grew up in Illinois, but in Chicago, and anyone from that city takes this question very seriously :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 am 

Blake wrote:
Random questions just for fun:

1) We all love BBQ! What type of BBQ is your favorite?
2) Which is a better day to watch football - Saturday or Sunday?
3) If the Chicago Cubs play the St. Louis Cardinals who are you rooting for? Or, if the Bears play the Rams? (to those who dont understand why I ask its because I also grew up in Illinois, but in Chicago, and anyone from that city takes this question very seriously :mrgreen: )

1) I like it all but pulled pork is a my best dish with brisket a close second
2) I can't get enough of both
3)Cubs all the way, I'm old enough to have lived and died during the 1969 collapse. Bears or Rams -Neither! I grew up a fan of the Minnesota Vikings back in the heyday of the Purple People Eaters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 am 
Correct! So long as were wearing Cubby blue over St. Louis red then all is well in my mind! And you cant go wrong with BBQ.

With two whole weeks of campaigning left I am sure I will think of more random questions. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm 

Another Viking fan.....
so you know heartache also.......
even though I am a born/bred Southerner....been a Viking Fan since the 60's with Frans 1st stint with the team

since we are playing 21......
can you name the Gamecock cornerback that played for the Vikings..who I considered their best Corner ever in their history?

Mark....best of luck to you....I find it very commendable about the hopeful adoption of the 8 yr old...
I have a 8 yr old granddaughter we practically raise.....
little girls are so precious

LTG Tim Miller
CoS
AotM

I Corp
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm 
Genril Miller,

I will just mention that I have a little girl critter of my own....precious little 25 year old....sweetest little girl ever......Ah but she grew up and I feel sorry for the males she chews up and spits out these days.........Oh and to both of you....I'm a Cowboys fan for almost 50 years....The Vikes gave us some heartache, and we gave them some......yesterday was definatly heartache, they just flat sucked......

General Nelms,

If I understood your statement correctly, you intend to pretty much let things run as they are, and be pretty much a "reactive" President, as opposed to a "proactive" President with an active agenda of change that you intend to implement? I do not mean that one style is neccessarily better (that would be according to the situation), but I will say that since you are one of those damnable Yankees (meant in a roleplaying manner of course :).........), that perhaps we Southerns would prefer that you are reactive...lol....So, joking aside, did I basicly read your statement correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm 
Ironic trivia for this election.....We have a Yankee running against a Rebel. The Yankee physically lives in Texas in the real world, and the Rebel in Montreal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm 

General Nelms <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Your service to the ACWGC is commendable, and I salute you for your contributions to the club and desire to see it thrive.

I see that you mention making promoting the club "wherever and whenever possible" a part of your platform, if you will. I do like the thought of an "exit poll" and whatever replies to such recieved could help resolve issues that caused members to leave.

My question is more on recruitment, which you did address. How would you go about recruiting new members from a generation more interested in X-Box "shoot 'em ups" with probably little or no understanding of the Civil War other than what they've seen on the television revolving around movements to have states remove the Confederate battle flag from their flags or similar matters?

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next