American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:18 pm 

Gentlemen,

I would like to know which of the 4 sets of Rolf Halls 3D graphics will work with the Overland game. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Yours,

Army of Tennesssee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm 

I do not know if any have been tested. Overland is very new.

If you want to test them in Overland, make sure you BACKUP the original files and then, if problems, you can readily get back the original files.

You can get other graphics at: http://home.comcast.net/~acwco_hps/ Perhaps Ken has some experience with Overland.

There are also get graphic at: http://hist-sdc.com/, neither are specifically for Overland.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm 

I took a quick look at the 3D graphics for Overland, it appears they would be compatible with either Set A or Set D at Brett's site.
They both use the same 12 3DUnits files which appear to match the Overland set in number of lines and which side they belong to although Rolf's 3DUnitsa files (guns) have 3 additional lines at the bottom of the file these would have no affect since the Overland OOBs will not call for them anyway.

Set A also changes the 3DSymbols and 3DBlocked files while Set D changes the 3DSymbols, 3DFeatures, 3DGround, 3DTrees & 3D Water files so Set D will also change the look of the buildings and terrain.

If you want to try using either I suggest you make a new folder in the Overland Game Folder, call it Old Map and copy all of the files in the Map Folder to it before installing Rolf's Mod, then if you find it produces a problem or you don't like it and want to go back to the originals you can simply copy and paste the original files back into the Map Folder.

I have not yet had a chance to go over the Overland OOBs to determine if any of my modified unit pictures files will work with it, may possibly get some time over the holidays to do that in which case I will post a notice in the M&D. In any case I expect Old Banshee and his group will be putting out new artwork eventually.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 am 

I checked Ken Millers Units Bitmaps and sadly I did not find one that works entirely with the new Overland game.

Unfortunately, the BIG Overland OOB's use images not normally used by any of the other titles (?) ...it would be easy enough to add extra pics' to cover this. But:
There are a few units that call up a picture in use for both sides and there are images in use for both Infantry and Cavalry or Artillery units.
My investigation was quite brief but I don't see an easy solution.

The Old Banshee team are discussing artwork for the new game ...but given the size of the task it could take some time to release.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 pm 

Ernie,Ken and Jim,

Thank you all for your time and assistance. I have purchased the Overland game and installed Rolf Hall's D set and it seems to work fine. I also installed the Rural House mod and also works fine. Next I would like to get a set of leader and unit portraits. Does anyone have some suggestions on mods? Thanks again for all your help and have a merry Christmas and New Year.

Thanks

Army of Tennesssee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

I'm a newbie in some respects. Could anybody tell me how to find Rolf's graphics?
I might be able to work on compatibility at some later time.
John Ferry
2LT USA
Overland Designer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am 

Hello John,

not sure this is all that is available but have a look here:

http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/rol ... aphics.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 am 

Hey Tom,
Overland leaders and unit graphics
As far as overland is concerned we are working on it now, but it is in its very early stages as the game has just come out. I have a few questions about the game which I am waiting for a reply on from the John Tiller team. When I know the answers to these we can really go to town on overland.
There are loads of mods for the other titles in the series at our Old Banshee web-site.
http://old-banshee.yolasite.com/downloads.php
Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
All the best
Frank

Army of the Tennessee.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:30 am 

Banshee--
I comprise a portion of the JT team. Is there anything I can do?
Ferry
2LT USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 am 

I, too, am looking for Leader Icon's. Anyone have any thoughts? I am using Ken's Getttyburg icon's for now, but would like some leader graphic's, specifically. If they exist. Tom you could always use Ken Miller's graphic's for Gettysburg until Old Banshee & Co. Come out with their Overland graphics. Thanks for all your hard work, both Ken Miller and Old Banshee & Co. !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Army of the Tennessee
Western Theater
Union Army

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 pm 

The graphics at the Old Banshee website are really great and I would love to use them for my games. Will installing the graphics and modified OOBs have other than just graphical effects to the games? Is it ok to have them installed if my opponents have not? Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 am 

Banshee--
I comprise a portion of the JT team. Is there anything I can do?
Ferry
2LT USA

John can you email me about the above?
old_banshee(at)hotmail.com
or let me have your email.
All the best
Frank

Army of the Tennessee.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:46 pm 

T. Borling wrote:
The graphics at the Old Banshee website are really great and I would love to use them for my games. Will installing the graphics and modified OOBs have other than just graphical effects to the games? Is it ok to have them installed if my opponents have not? Thanks in advance for your help.

The Old Banshee mods will only change the visual appearance of the games. They do not adjust any of the technical parameters. You can install and use them regardless of what your opponent may have in place.
It's "eye candy" only ...we have been careful to only alter the pictures used and NOT upset anything to do with the game system itself..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm 

Digglyda wrote:
T. Borling wrote:

The Old Banshee mods will only change the visual appearance of the games. They do not adjust any of the technical parameters. You can install and use them regardless of what your opponent may have in place.
It's "eye candy" only ...we have been careful to only alter the pictures used and NOT upset anything to do with the game system itself..

Eye candy they are, thank you very much for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 pm 
krmiller wrote:
If you want to try using either I suggest you make a new folder in the Overland Game Folder, call it Old Map and copy all of the files in the Map Folder to it before installing Rolf's Mod, then if you find it produces a problem or you don't like it and want to go back to the originals you can simply copy and paste the original files back into the Map Folder.

Or you could check out JSGME (Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler), which would handle all this for you. Really, it is the "must-have" item for installing mods.