American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Joe Meyer's Second Term
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:09 pm 
Gentlemen of the ACWGC,

The honorable Gen. Joseph Meyer was duly nominated for the post of Union CoA. As per Club Rule 3.3.4.1.7 if only a single nominee is available than he will be appointed the position by acclamation.

As such Gen. Meyer is hereby appointed as the Union CoA for a second and final term. His term of office will run from Jan. 15, 2013 - Jan. 14, 2015

The ACWGC Cabinet wishes to thank those who participated and continues to encourage all Members interested in Club leadership positions to contact their Army Commanders or CoA's for more information.

ABOVE POSTED ELSEWHERE

Post subject: Re: Union CoA Result
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 pm 

Three cheers for all of the staff of the ACWGC.

Hip hip, hooray!
Hip hip, hooray!
Hip hip, hooray!

Congratulations General Meyer and may your final term be as satisfactory as your first.
With a special Huzzah!
(Cover thrown into the air)
for you.

Respectfully

The Bucktails

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Union CoA Result
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 pm 

Huzzah!
Huzzah!
Huzzah!

Huzzah! for General Meyer!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
Gentlemen of the ACWGC,

I believe we all owe Joe Meyer a debt of gratitude for all he has done, and continues to do, for the ACWGC. He accepted the position of CoA in 2010 unexpectedly after the last CoA resigned his post. He never complained then and he doesnt complain now. I am sure his wife does when he spends too much time on the computer some weekends so I hope she is getting a nice Valentine's Day gift.

Joe works harder than anyone for the welfare of the ACWGC and we are lucky to have him with us. Whether you agree or disagree with him on an issue - and he and I frequently disagree - one can never doubt his love of the Club or his desire to further it's best interests as he see's it.

I wish him the very best in his second term!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am 

<<SALUTE>>

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am 

Congratulations General Meyer. The Union continues in good hands.
<SALUTE>

XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee
USA.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 am 

General Meyers,

Keep up the good work Suh!

<Salute>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 am 

General Meyer:

Joe I salute you and now the fine wine!

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

My respects to all of you for your kind comments and wishes! Hopefully I will be able to measure up to the expectations and provide stability, growth and strength to the Union Army side of this club. There were and are many fine UA officers who assisted me throughout my first two years as the CoA, and without them not much would have been possible. And there were and are many gentlemen from the southern side of the club who always provided me with good insights and assistance when called upon, and to them I am indebted.

I sometimes take a pause from my normally busy day and wonder how many ACWGC game e-mails are crossing the electronic battlelines at any one time. My wife dosen't. My wife thinks that I’m a fool. “You spend entirely too much time on your computer,” she says! She’s right, I do. “What is so important about the GCWB,” she asks? I tell her it’s the ACWGC. “Well, when is it going to be finished,” she asks again? I tell her I don’t know. She walks away shaking her head.

Truthfully, I suppose that I’d walk away shaking my head, too, if it weren’t for one thing: the camaraderie. There’s a lot involved in that word, the way that I interpret it. There’s an intrinsic value within the word that cannot be totally described. There’s the knowledge that you are part of something that others like you regard as fairly important and meaningful in their own lives. They wouldn’t be doing it, if it were otherwise. Being a part of something like that makes you feel less lonely, less unimportant and less unappreciated! You become part of a world in which you have a chance to establish your own, new set of values and to share your accomplishments, questions and interests with others who want to do the same thing.

Camaraderie has all sorts of shades of meanings dependent upon the particular comradeship experienced. And some of us can all point to former organizations to which we belonged that might have been considered to be generators of camaraderie, whether it had been in law enforcement, military service or even within our own workplaces. Camaraderie might even have been generated in some of the schools and classes we’ve attended. But wherever we might have encountered it, we have honored and kept it close within our memories. For those of us who haven’t experienced real camaraderie before, the mere offering of it can be a most seductive lure.

On the surface of it the American Civil War Game Club would seem like a strange place to find camaraderie. There are game clubs all over the Internet and elsewhere that offer membership through the playing of games. But there are few of them that actually offer an environment of camaraderie like what the ACWGC offers. Its not something that’s immediately apparent, either! You can come into this club with no other intention but to play as many games as what satisfy your gaming needs. You’re under no obligation to conduct yourself as anything other than a courteous, base line opponent. Oh, there’s the Muster, of course, but that’s not so big a deal. No, you have to spend some time getting acquainted, as you can, maybe picking up some sense of what your club experience can actually be in the academies before going into the “field” with a “commission.” You have to kind of figure out what kind of a saddle you’ll be riding and then sit on up there, taking a good look around, before you figure out that this is more than just a game club. Somehow the ACWGC makes so bold as to whisper to you that if you allow yourself to become part of what’s going on here, you’ll be surprised in what you’ll find! And camaraderie can certainly become a big part of it.

So what’s going on here? Is it the role-playing that transforms the ACWGC experience? I’ve heard at least three definitions of what constitutes role-playing, none of them actually comprehensive enough in their scope for what I’m talking about. But role-playing would seem to readily contribute to the environment of camaraderie. We have a rule in this club that I’ve always found to be most intriguing in this regard. It is Rule 3.1.1, which reads in part, “The ACWGC is organized into two military groups, USA and CSA. All members of the Club belong to one and only one military group. All members of the Club are referred to as officers and are given military rank, which should be used in all club-related correspondence and in all postings on club bulletin boards…” If that doesn’t sound like a rule that would encourage role-playing, I don’t know what is! But more importantly, it sets a tone for what is expected in our club behavior. It signals that you can part of something built upon mutual respect, if you so chose. And from there, once you accept that encouragement, all else seems to flow forth in the aspect of role-playing. In fact, once you begin to do it, it doesn’t seem like role-playing at all! It becomes more like camaraderie.

Then, at some point, once you’ve embarked upon your “career” within the club in earnest, observing protocols and participating in your sanctioned games, you begin to meet people, to talk with them and learn more about them. Some of the other “officers” that you meet will provide you with special friendships that will provide you with new perspectives upon the club and increase your personal sense of camaraderie. You’ll meet “senior” and “junior” officers who all help to shape and mold your own experiences. Slowly, yet surely, with each game you play, each forum post you read or make, each vote you cast, you’ll find yourself becoming more and more of a member of a special camaraderie that will bind you up within a very special world.

Those of us who are impelled to become commanders and administrators within this world are usually motivated by a sense of appreciation for what we, ourselves, have experienced. Our sense of appreciation for it is so great that we want to make certain that others can continue to enjoy what has been created and that it will be available for those yet to come. We understand the necessity for a guardianship roll. We realize, too, that not everyone will be so inclined to follow in our own footsteps, but that the club should be able to offer participation levels for everyone at their own pace and involvement.

For the past two years I have served as the Union Army’s Chief of the Armies (or General-in-Chief, as I can occasionally get away with it). But that doesn’t mean that I’ve stood on top of the mountain and fired off directives to everyone “serving under me!” Far from it! I elected early on to provide the UA with an expansive brain trust of individuals who I have come to know as experienced and committed UA club members. That group of officers, who are referred to as the Union Army Command Staff and Advisory Group, has been the body of counselors and advisors upon who I have leaned in forging a stronger, leaner and more responsive Union Army. I cannot envision going forward another two years without them. Nor can I envision traversing that path without the occasional help and assistance of those special southern gentlemen who hold the welfare of the club in the same high regard.

My goal remains the same: not so much to transform or change, but to strengthen, refine and keep stable. Oh, there may be the occasional tweak or adjustment to be made in the scheme of things, but I’ll be more focused upon providing the best experience for the greatest number of Union officers that I can. If I may be charged with any criticism that has merit, it may be that I am too conservative in my personality, more reluctant to look at newer ideas just for the sake of their newness. I need to be convinced through careful reflection and thorough, rational argument before I get behind any wide-eyed schemes purporting to be beneficial to the club or the UA. I’m more grounded in history, not the promise of an untested future. But I’m also a listener, and I like to hear the thoughts of others.
I’m also a traditionalist when it comes to things pertaining to the American Civil War. I think that I know my history of that event as well as the next, and I tend to shrink back from things within the club that seek to diminish or lessen the memory of those who participated in the actual event. But there is also room within me to appreciate the humor and good-natured bantering that accompanies our venue.

The other criticism of me that has merit is that I talk far too long!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm 

Quote:
The other criticism of me that has merit is that I talk far too long!

That is why I didn't QUOTE the message, in its entirety! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 am 

Joe, we are honoured to have you serving us. Thank you! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 am 

Congratulations and good luck in your second term Gen Meyer (salute)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:57 pm 

Congrats Joe-like I am sure many others who did, I am glad I nominated you. Look forward to your second term (a lot more than some other guy who won a second term)

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm 

Way to go Joe!