American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm 
Oscar Wilde. Always an amusing author.

The story of the well-to-do gentleman who sells his soul to the devil (?) for eternal youth. His soul is mirrored only in a painting which hangs secretly up in his private study.

A great book for sure! A short and interesting read that dives into the psychology of one's conscience and the idea of what if we actually could see our souls.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thanks Blake.

I am in the middle of a larger historical tome, (The Crucible of War, re the French & Indian War), and was thinking to myself I need put some fiction in the on-deck circle.

And the Wilde Man it is.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others, whenever the go."
Oscar Wilde

The Bucktails

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm 

Redlegger wrote:
Thanks Blake.

I am in the middle of a larger historical tome, (The Crucible of War, re the French & Indian War), and was thinking to myself I need put some fiction in the on-deck circle.

And the Wilde Man it is.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others, whenever the go."
Oscar Wilde

Crucible of War is an excellent book on the FIW! It is very detailed.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm 
I have actually read that book as well! Very good read. I wish I had a better memory of all it contained but I remember enjoying it greatly.

From what I recall it began to touch on the idea of "Americans" seeing themselves as "equals" to their British cousins. When they wanted to be treated as such after the war the British stupidly treated the Americans as colonists and thus began the cry of "taxation without representation."

I should read it again ... someday!

Man... if we could all just live forever and be stuck in a library! What a glorious life! :mrgreen:

Though the librarians would have to be extra pretty if we we're stuck in their for an eternity with them :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:48 pm 

I have been on an American Revolution reading kick and realized that my pre-revolution knowledge was disappointingly, (is that even a word?), lacking.

Thus on the basis of some Amazon reviews I checked out the book from the Chicago Public Library.
They had to transfer it from another branch, took 6 weeks even though it was not checked out.
So pissed at the delay that I almost did not go to pick it up, and the condition?
Disgusting.
I am not a fan of book burnings but this book should be burned, and not for the usual reasons, (a witch), but because I suspect this came from Mary Mallon's, (a.k.a. Typhoid Mary), library.

Oddly enough I said I would give it one chapter.
That was all it took.
I am now at the point where the French have basically been vanquished from their North American holdings, (Indian and African to boot), and George the IInd has just passed away.
Outstanding book, very detailed, covers a wide breadth, but does not lose its readability.
Once done I plan to buy a clean hard copy for my own private library.

Might even kick around in that area of reading, but no, I have promised myself to read all of the books that I have purchased, and then possibly come back to this area.

Until then it is off to visit the comely lasses that will climb up the ladder to reach for those books on the high shelf that I requested, with me gallantly holding the ladder steady.
(Oh the shame of it all, the shame).

The Bucktails