American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do My Guns Work?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 am 
I am playing my first Overland game as the Yankees.

Um, I just fired 18 cannon at a range of three against a group of Rebs in some trees.

Casualties inflicted - zero!

Next turn....

... zero!

My guns are rated "B" and the enemy isn't protected by anything other than trees.

I am starting to understand the frustrations I have heard from those in Blue I think.

I then did a control test using all the same variables on HPS Antietam and the Yank guns killed 22 and 17.

I heartily approve of the growing inability of Yankee guns to damage us Rebs! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Do My Guns Work?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am 

Blake
what is your scenario number? I will check it out
Ferry
2LT

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 am 
J. Ferry wrote:
Blake
what is your scenario number? I will check it out
Ferry
2LT

It's the Getting Started scenario. I am playing it against a Reb cadet as a training game. It could just be "one of those things" but it felt odd. No big worries.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm 

OK! It is hard to lose that one as the Yanks!
Ferry
2lt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
That's why I'm not too worried :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 am 

Blake- check the pdt in your specific scenario - for the firing unit type (as well as the defensive modifier for the terrain that your target was in .... don't assume anything.) If you find anything odd- drop JTS a line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:20 am 

The Overland1 pdt was based on the Antietam pdt. The firepower of the typical guns (3", Napoleon and Parrot) is the same or higher in Overland compared to Antietam, and all the modifiers are the same in both pdts.
Let us know if you keep shooting blanks.
Ferry
2Lt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm 

Yankees are always shooting blanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm 

Sadly Blake confirms that Yankee arty sucks, Reb arty is too good, and too many damn E's in Union Army and too many A and B's in the Rebel army.

The overwhelming factor is it is almost impossible to accurately simulate the Union abundance of troops with the stupidity of Union Generals. A sad but true fact.

MG Elkin
XVIth Corp Commander
AotT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

Well you won't actually find the answer without looking at the pdt (and it will be quickly obvious if there is an issue there -as it will stick out like a sore thumb.).

I do remember seeing one of those with regards to arty -and based upon what John is saying -it should have the same issue in Antietam.

So Blake- scenario name ... and artillery type please (no need for an exact unit) :)

Any artillery when deployed in depth and from a higher elevation will blow the crap out of massed units -particularly at close range - I have never found there to be a significant difference apart from in some scenarios the South has significantly less arty ammo (and they have to conserve their shots), whereas the Union artillery effectively has no ammo limitation in many scenarios.

In the Overland test I played Mr Nelms in one of the North Anna scenarios (the larger one) as my actual training to join the club. He was the ANV I was the AoP -and I beat him with nothing but artillery (and even at that only part of my artillery - the rifles) -by putting them on the high ground at the top left of the map where the river bends -he advanced up there -deciding to stuff me back up my own ( insert noun here) -and he managed to get caught in a cross fire and put in a position where in order to win, he had to cross the river to attack me (who out numbered him and had the river crossings covered with some Union heavy metal.). He wasn't game --- not exactly the opportunity that Bobby Lee was hoping to spring -and Mr Nelms is I think at the top of our ladder in blue.

I wrote him up some aar regarding that- and unfortunately I managed to lose that file -will have to see if he still has it.

But yeah - CSA artillery is not more potent than USA artillery, although arty might be over-valued in terms of vps -as some battles can be decided by nothing more than an artillery duel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm 

Overland 1 pdt is the stock pdt for the game. Everything else changes either turn length or stacking limit. I would think there would be other anecdotes after essentially three months of gaming since Overland came out, if there is a real issue.
Blake had said it was the 'getting started' scenario, and the artillery types would be either 10 pdr Parrot, Napoleon, or 3" Ordnance.
Any other instances, gang?
Ferry
2lt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 pm 

Right ... missed the Getting Started bit ...

although I count 3 batteries of Napoleons and one of 3 inch rifles (and no reinforcements -not Union leastwise).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 pm 
Not a big deal as we didnt need the guns to roll over the lousy Rebs. I just mentioned it as I thought it was odd. I havent played anything else in Overland yet as I just got it. On my fourth and fifth turns I have yet to wound a Reb using my guns, lol. I have all but given up.

On the positive side my rifles are absolutely tearing them to shreds! Usually I felt like I was lucky to kill double-digit of the enemy with a regiment of 400 men firing. In this scenario I have been hitting 15+ consistantly.

I'll take that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 am 

Maybe .. maybe not ... I fired up the same one - and am firing at CSA units 3 hexes away and in the woods, but at the same elevation ( 3 batteries- 2 of them Napoleon and one the 3 in rifles) -and got results- all 3 around 11 losses apiece (give or take a couple).

Can't see why as I would get different results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 pm 
My gunners have been known to drink while on duty :wink: