American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Game On!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:21 pm 
Honorable gentlemen and Yankees,

My suggestion to spur on battles and fighting spirit:

1st) Each army should have a 'reserve' category. Officers that don't participate in Army's tournaments should be put there.
2nd) All armies should fight in a tournament every quarter. Tournaments should focus on shorter turn games and scenarios.
3rd) Tournaments should dictate fast turn completions: 1 / 2 days minimum. Slow game completions should have Victory level penalties.
4th) Fresh cadets should have first priority to join the fighting armies but they must understand the obligation.
5th) Reserve officers should have to wait for an active post to become absent before regaining 'regular' status. It should be a privilege.

Reserve officers could still post on Opponent Finder or otherwise play with their old pals at their own pace. There is room for them in the club. The first priority of senior club leaders should be to organize and supervise regular tournament play.

Existing Armies need not fold or reorganize, but they might dedicate one of their three corps to 'Reserve' status and fight with two corps of active club participants. This might be a way to preserve loyalties and army spirit and minimize administrative burden of massive re-organizations.

Armies that can't keep up the pace should be disbanded or converted to 'Reserve' armies. Let's call a spade a spade.

<salute!>

Post subject: Re: Game On!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm 

You know, I don't really have a problem with this in theory. Of course, I would be one of those banished to the reserve. But I think it imposes limitations where there need be none. I have not played in a tournament in 12 or 13 years, but if one came around where I had the time and inclination, I might like to. The idea of encouraging tournament participation in periodic tournaments is not a bad one for folks with stable lives, but that is not me.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am 
My apologies to the patrons of the tavern for my horse following me into the saloon.

This post was intended to be part of a thread in the presidential election discussion but ended up here by mistake.

<salute!>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:52 pm 

The club is open to anyone. Some members want to play single games at a leisurely pace, others might play several games among the many games (and scenarios) available. Others might only want to participate in tournaments. Still others might want an occasional game.

The beauty of the PBEM system is that it is suited for play by anyone with any type of playing time they want, very slow, a turn per week, per 2 weeks or even per month.

The club should not discriminate between those that want leisurely gaming and those that play at a frenetic pace. And there is no need to have levels of membership. We do not need additional administrative tasks to sort out who is doing what. Members are playing games at whatever pace they, individually, want to play. We need not be dictatorial or judgmental of our members.

Now, if YOU, Lt Lane want to take on the task of organizing, directing, administering tournaments, I am sure the members would be appreciative of your efforts.

You have my vote and full support for your efforts. Even very junior members should be able to invest their time for the betterment of the club. :D

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm 
Basically Ernie said what I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how, lol.

The organization in the Club works pretty well. For those officers wishing to be more active (why is everyone looking at me?) there are many ways to channel that energy to help the Club.

For instance I create the Club Magazine each month as I find it a fun little hobby for 10 minutes a day. Other people love their webpage designs and do that. Others spend their 'extra' time taking on more and more games. Still others join MP games. Also, last but not least, there is the ability to serve as admin in the Club by volunteering to serve in administrative roles from Divisional Commanders on up to Cabinet positions. Everyone is welcome to volunteer for these positions and they are always in need of new people and ideas.

For newer members I always encourage you to find games everywhere. Ask everyone. Don't try to do it all at once but try to build up a network of contacts during your first year in the Club. You will soon discover you have plenty of games always going and you will always have someone to chit chat with in emails. This club is all about interactions and the best way to reach people on a personal level is by daily interaction in games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm 
Forgot to mention - if anyone is ever desirous of helping out with the Magazine just let me know! I can always use a bit of help!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:12 am 

"1.2. The ACWGC encourages, promotes and facilitates game play among its members, but does not impose any standard of frequency as a requirement of membership. The club recognizes that the personal schedule and obligations of each member will dictate both the number and frequency of individual games undertaken."

The club members almost unanimously voted in favor of this modification to the Club Rules over two years ago, realizing that, as Ernie and Blake have pointed out , that anything more restrictive in the way of membership requirements would not only handicap the Club's ability to grow, but runs the risk of introducing a form of elitism that runs counter to the spirit stated in 1.4.

"1.4. We are not a 'ladder' type club where standing in the Club is based on games played or games won. Other very important factors are considered. Members are awarded points for assuming leadership roles within the Club, for role-playing, for playing games and for providing other contributions to the Club. All members will be offered the level of training that they need or desire before they start playing. The Club also provides several forums for role-playing banter, tips, strategy and finding opponents."

Yet within that very liberal framework there is also, as Ernie and Blake have pointed out, the capability for any member or group of members to engage themselves within any sort of tournament environment they might have the capacity to create. Its important to remember that there is a very diversified cadre within this Club, composed of individuals from all sorts of gaming backgrounds, availabilities and preferences. But should the Club elevate by administrative re-organization one group above the other, it would be abandoning one of its core principles.

It is also important to remember that the ACWGC is not the end all for organized gaming of these games. Anyone can offer a different environment outside of the scope of the ACWGC at any time, and offer what would be a more challenging, involved and competitive environment to suit their own individual tastes, if that is what they prefer.

Nor is any ACWGC member restricted from fashioning a change proposal for submission to the Cabinet, irrespective of any criticism of a lack of transparency, real or imagined. I would be the first to state that there needs to be a more direct involvement between the Cabinet and the author of such a proposal, and I believe that we will see within the near future a successful vote to accomodate just that. But the point is that this Club does not dictate to its members what they should or shouldn't do. We've a set of rules, however onerous, burdensome and overextended it may be currently fashionable by some to mislabel, that have been put in place by the members! And those rules as they have been fashioned and amended have functioned well enough to allow the Club to survive for better than 15 years!

I would certainly encourage anyone to take whatever time they might feel necessary to work within the system, as the Cabinet so scrupulously tries to do, to bring before the Club's voting body whatever change, amendment or design they'd like to see considered. Such work, by its very nature, can seem insurmountable and at times completely ponderous. But that is part of the system that is currently in place; a part that discourages, quick, shallow, rash thinking, but rewards careful, deliberate consideration and planning. The Cabinet is, for the most part and in general, just as diversified a group of individuals in their gaming preferences as any in the Club, and any proposal must, in the end, be able to pursuade the incredible diversity that will always be found within the Club-wide voting body!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 am 

Good on you Lt Lane for voicing your opinion! Keep doing it!

You don't have to do anything else - except participate in a game or 2.

Mebbe I would participate a bit more or in tournaments if I had to. Mebbe not.

Army of the Potomac.
http://campcromwell.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 am 
Humble thanks to the busy men with responsibilities in the club taking the time to clarify these things.

<salute!>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 pm 

Lt. Lane, there is no doubt in my mind that you enjoy a very rich and competitive environment for your own gaming experience, one that should very quickly propel you forward in rank and, potentially, future command positions! There are many fine officers on both sides of the Club that share your zeal for competition, and just as I do not forsee any lack of opponents in your endeavors, so also do I believe that you are on your way to forging new and lasting friendships! If there is any sense of humbleness that must be stated it would be that of my own for the very open, candid and expressive way in which you are beginning your own "career!"

<SALUTE>

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 pm 

I like the idea of playing at our own pace.

Good that "Du Management" (British phrase) organise Lieutenants Cup for new players. However after that for individuals to organise themselves.

I like the idea of multi player games but one needs to be a little more experienced before engaging in one of those. I find it hard enough at the moment keeping my troops together without working out which are my troops! :-)

Having said that a game where a senior officer directed 2 or 3 officers what objectives to aim for (him/her self commanding troops as well) would be quite realistic. Allows for officers to follow bad orders and lose or disobey and win or visa versa.

When playing minatures we used to have Aide De Camps who would have to move to a leader to change initial orders. This made the God like control a bit redundant and the game more interesting.

I understand you can use AI to do that sort of thing but I am not that experienced.

Great to have competitions for those interested - great for individuals to play at their pace.

AotM, II Corp, 2nd Division, 3rd Brigade.