American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CSA CoA Election
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:51 am 
Gentleman,

Being new to the club, I see that the CSA CoA term has expired. Are we going to have an election? If so, when?

My best,

Captain Scott Clawson
Army of Northern Virginia
1st Corp, 1st Division, 4th Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 am 

Good pick-up Scott, I will have to do some checking to see where we stand, it may be that no one has asked for an election as they are happy with the current CoA?

Major General Cam McOmish
Commander Western Theater
Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:03 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>I believe General Tisdale was re-elected by acclimation, as no one else stepped up.
I'm sure General Tisdale can confirm or deny.[;)]

Club rules state only members at the rank of Lieutenant General or General vote in a CoA election and only officers of the rank of Lt. General or above may run for CoA</b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">

Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:39 pm 
Robert,

Yes I am aware of that rule, but at no time were we made aware that there was a election held and how do we know that there wasn't any regular officer who wanted to nominate someone? I guess I must have missed the announcement!

Captain Scott Clawson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:08 am 
I must admit I side with the Captain here.

"Rules without Representation!" Okay its not as bad as taxation but still. I like our current CoA but even George Washington at least was subject to reelection. Surely the Cabinet does not mean to imply that our current CoA is in some way more popular and important than our beloved Virginian first President? Even Lincoln was subject to reelection in the middle of the Civil War. Any democratic club should allow for an open forum for the discussion of ideas and the nomination of nominees. To simply say, "re-elected by acclimation, as no one else stepped up. I'm sure General Tisdale can confirm or deny," is a poor response from a Cabinet member. Imagine Hilary Clinton announcing in 2012 that Barack Obama has been reelected because the Republicans didnt stand much of a chance anyways. Then turning to Obama and saying, "Isn't that right, Mr. President?"

Strike anyone else as ridiculous?

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:01 pm 

Well not being a reb and not being able to vote I did't take that much interest but I believe Gen Weir is correct and there was no one nominated to run against him so there was no need to have an election.

In fact I just checked the archives and the last union CoA election, Gen Walter was the only nominee on the union side and the past two cabinet elections the same thing occurred with only one candidate stepping forward.

Gen. Ken Miller
AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:24 pm 

FYI:

There has been NO election, YET for the position of CSA COA!

The process has begun, within the cabinet and announcements will be coming out, soon.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands, General
4th Brigade, Cavalry Division, XIV Corps,
Army of Cumberland, USA
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sclawson</i>
<br />Gentleman,

Being new to the club, I see that the CSA CoA term has expired. Are we going to have an election? If so, when?

My best,

Captain Scott Clawson
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Captain Clawson,

Sharp eye, there, young man, and thank you for bringing this to our attention. As Club President, I try to keep up with when the next election should be - and I had overlooked this one. As General Sands has said, I have called the Cabinet into special session to deal with this oversight ASAP.

Barkeep! A drink for the Captain, on my tab.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:31 am 
Very interesting thread....I'll just comment that I believe in the past there have been some accusarions of there existing a "Good Ol Boys" network in the club.....This would seem to me a good thing to keep up to date on and relatively transparent so that we plain ol normal folks don't get the idea that this network just might actually not be a figment of our overactive imaginations. That would be a tragedy.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 am 
Don't get me wrong, I think it is entirely ridiculous to think that electing persons to extremely high ranking posts, by the votes of only a select few high ranking club members could even possibly contribute to the perception of a "Good Ol Boys Network". We normal rank and file types all understand that we are not intelli.....eeeerrrr......qualified to vote for such important posts......[:D]

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 am 

I am just grateful there are people willing to devote their time and energy to keep this thing going.

If we are to be historical, the rule should be amended so that the COA is appointed by the president, whom we elect. General Lee, to my knowledge, was never elected to anything.

MG Mike Mihalik
2/4/I/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:31 am 
I am also happy there are people willing to keep this club going by giving up some their personal time and I thank them all! I am enjoying my time here greatly [:)]

Along with what Mike said though - if we are to be even more historic the CoA never had the ability to vote in government decisions either. Nor did he have veto power over the Cabinet.

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:13 am 
Gentleman of the club,

I am a bit confused over a lot of things. According to this rule:

<i>3.3.3. Terms of Office. Each Cabinet member will serve a term of two (2) years. Any Cabinet member may succeed himself in his elected office once, for total of four years. After the second term, the member must wait for one election period to run again for the same seat.</i>

There are a number of sitting cabinet members as well as a COA who show that their terms will run almost three years. Why? I am beginning to question our leadership!

Captain Scott Clawson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:22 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sclawson</i>
<br />Gentleman of the club,

I am a bit confused over a lot of things. According to this rule:

<i>3.3.3. Terms of Office. Each Cabinet member will serve a term of two (2) years. Any Cabinet member may succeed himself in his elected office once, for total of four years. After the second term, the member must wait for one election period to run again for the same seat.</i>

There are a number of sitting cabinet members as well as a COA who show that their terms will run almost three years. Why? I am beginning to question our leadership!

Captain Scott Clawson
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The wording is probably slightly confusing but this is the key sentence:

<b>Any Cabinet member may succeed himself in his elected office once, for total of four years.</b>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant General Scott Ludwig
Commanding Officer III Corps - Army of Northern Virginia

"Son only a Minie ball can dismiss me!"

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:36 am 

I also wanted to mention that in the years I have been doing the various Clubs I am in and the various leadership positions, what is clear is the important tasks and positions are not at the top. The Cabinets usually have a few assigned tasks and duties. But the real work is done at the individual Army, Corps and Training Facility levels. Those are the places where the Club members feel the most impact and interact with the leadership the most. It just so happens they are the day to day workings of the Club. A side of the Club is only as good as its support staff.

So thank you to Hank & Scott Clawson for the services they provide to the officers & new recruits. Especially the new recruits as how they are managed when they first join is key to how they will develop in the Club.

Just my two cents, but what the heck do I know... [:P]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant General Scott Ludwig
Commanding Officer III Corps - Army of Northern Virginia

"Son only a Minie ball can dismiss me!"

ImageImage