* Continental American Army

* French Army HQ

* Indian Alliance

Club Forums:     NWC    ACWGC     Home Pages:     NWC    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Some Observations..
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 9:54 pm 

After having received my copy of 1812 today in the mail, I loaded it up and have been having a good time with it since... It is true JT style!! :-)

But I do have some comments that I would like to throw out.

For many years now, I have been playing these games (when JT was with TS) and the one thing that has always stood out (head and shoulders, especially in the 2d realm) has been the graphics... In the 3D regular mode, I felt like I was actually back on the 15mm battlefield again...

But for some reason, I noticed that the graphics in 1812 were not up to the "old" TS standards that JT use to put out... I understand he was the programmer, but where did the art work come from?? In the reduced 3D scale, the figures (especially those in the blue) are "hazy" at best, and it is difficult to see the individuals...

Now before the lynch mob comes for me,:( dont get me wrong, the game plays great and I for one am glad that I spent the $$$... I just kind of wish that the "miniature" graphics themselves was a little better...

Dont know why it is like this, I can only assume that it was a production decision or different artist styles...

Also the maps I believe are not of the same genre as that of the battleground maps... I understand that the scale is different, but still...

Less some of you say I need a new card (I have an ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 128), I dont believe that is the problem...

Since I never have bought the 1776 game, I cannot comment whether or not the graphics have been improved or not...

Either way, I still enjoy the game, and will be looking forward to the expansion and or patch 1.02. I just wish they would do something with the art work..

Tks for listening

TomL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2001 10:31 pm 

Maps are tiled now not one big piece of art, so that is why they look different.

As for the troops, they are a big step up from '76. In 3d normal mode they look good.

You may want to try changing your computer settinsgs down to 600x800 or the one lower than that.

I know we all like the 1000xwhatever so we can see a bunch of stuff, but maybe that is causing the graphics to lose their flavor.

Just a thought.

<b>ACWGC </b>MajGen Ambushed - USA
<b>CCC </b> Sgt Amos - 1st US Dragoons, 1812
<b>FL </b> Cpt Amos (ret)
<b>NWC </b> Colonel Amos - 1er Dragoons, AdN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:36 pm 
Tom - it all comes down to dollars and cents. Those beautiful 3D graphics also hogged up a ton of disk space. The new maps are not bitmaps either. Since John is doing these games (and this era is not ANYWHERE near as popular as the WW2 games for instance) on a fixed budget the graphics will suffer a bit. The argument might be "if the graphics were better more people would buy" but that isnt always the case. The big selling point of John's games is stability. They just dont crash. I am like you - a miniature player at heart - and I love the 3D look but funny enough rarely ever play in that mode as I was always disordering my cav (in the Nappy series) or missing a hexside or two (in all of the BG series) so I am a died in the wool 2D man now.
As for Amos - I have heard that he is dabbling in 4d graphics now - adding in the option for them to be animated! When you hit them they stick their tongue out at you ;-)*

Maj Gen Bill Peters, AoA, CSA
Capt. Bill Peters, Morgan's Rifles, CCC
Archduke Wilhelm, Aust CoA, NWC
Lt. Bill Peters, Gren Gds, Cndn Army, PzC
Lt. Bill Peters, Frontline Club, 4th Engineers (in honor of my brother, Chris Fuller who fought in 'Nam)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2001 7:34 pm 

You betcha 4D is here to stay! Almost have my Austrian animae done. You'll love it when a French advances the Austrians throw down their weapons and flee. Okay not real original, but the ADC Karl doing the chicken dance IS a real show stopper! hehehe...

<b>ACWGC </b>MajGen Ambushed - USA
<b>CCC </b> Sgt Amos - 1st US Dragoons, 1812
<b>FL </b> Cpt Amos (ret)
<b>NWC </b> Colonel Amos - 1er Dragoons, AdN