Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 pm 

French officer looking for an opponent to fight I have the Battleground Napoleonic Wars (matrix version). Any Battle welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:58 am 

Well considering there are no offers from any of the allies regarding my challenge for a battle all I can guess is that the Allies are scared of a mere Sous lieutenant making them a laughing stock and refuse to give battle. Not surprising really as the french are superior in many ways. Saying that a mere Ensign is the only one who has come forward.

Is that all they can offer a lowly Ensign, I'm shocked.

Come on fight a real opponent if you dare.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 am 
Ah, the bravery of youth! :) :D :P

Now I, for one, have always appreciated an audacious officer who wears his confidence like a cloak of honor. Unfortunately, I no longer engage on the older battlefields that the Matrix games have to offer, prefering instead to focus my rather limited time on the titles belonging to the HPS/JTS Series. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I do happen to recall that the Spanish Commander of the Tiradores de Castillia once had an affinity for playing the older titles. What say you 1º Tenente Lopezgallo? Might you have the time to show this young Frenchman the folly of riding beyond his own borders with the intention of stealing the lands, lives, and liberties of innocent men to sate the insatiable ego of the Corsican demon to whom he has so foolishly pledged his undying allegiance? :wink: :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:14 pm 

[quote="Mark Hornsby"]Well considering there are no offers from any of the allies regarding my challenge for a battle all I can guess is that the Allies are scared of a mere Sous lieutenant making them a laughing stock and refuse to give battle. Not surprising really as the french are superior in many ways. Saying that a mere Ensign is the only one who has come forward.

Is that all they can offer a lowly Ensign, I'm shocked.

Come on fight a real opponent if you dare.[/quote]

Rattle their cages, Mark! Your battle prowess is already scaring them away. :mrgreen:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm 

Ah, to only have the "old ways". I have the JTS Battleground game set and Campaign Leipzig. So alas, I can not help in your desire to be an allied POW, eager to offer parole so you can return to Paris and become a sous chef and not worry about seeing combat again.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:34 pm 
Cadete Porta-Bandeira Bradshaw, paroling the French soldiers back to Paris never really works for long. They only remain in their kitchens until Old Boney’s perfume comes wafting through their windows at night. The very next morning you will find them running through the streets in their undergarments shouting "Vive la This and Vive la That, Let’s Go Steal Someone Else’s Cat". The next thing you know, some quartermaster slaps another rusty musket in their hands and back to the front lines they go. :) :D :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 pm 
Salute!

GdD Savary, the esteemed AdC of L'Empereur, and current chief of operational planning for La Grande Armee, slips into the Tavern wrapped tight in his great cloak.

It is with much interest that he listens to the challenge and counter-challenges being exchanged between the valiant Sous-Lieutenant and the brash Ensign.

Never allowing an opportunity to stoke the flames of battle slip away, between sips from a small glass of cognac, he whispers...

I've heard tell that the old Talonsoft and the Matrix Battleground games are compatible.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:19 am 
Todd is indeed correct, Matrix and Battleground are totally compatible.

Mark, all kidding aside, I have sent out some emails trying to find an opponent for you. I never like for people who are eager to play to have to wait very long for a game, especially their first game in our club.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 am 

Salute General

Thank you for searching for an opponent for me, and I will await anxiously for one to appear.

But as to the comments of you and your comrades I will let them wash over me as I, an officer in his Majesties French Imperial Army will not lower myself to the gutter that all allied officers seem to dwell in, and I will wait to show my abilities on the battlefield and let my horse kick mud in the faces of my defeated enemies and I will be Marshal of France standing at the side of the greatest man ever to walk the earth Napoleon Bonaparte and I will provide him with victories never dreamt of and have captured allied officers kneel in his presence.

But for now I need a drink so I will head off to the tavern to drink the swill that the landlord calls wine and admire his daughter while I await glory.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:09 am 
You are most welcome, Lt. Hornsby.

I suppose you do realize that France actually lost... :shock:

...and that your Corsican 'hero' died on a God forsaken rock. :o

Bugger, seems we have another young Frenchman who has fallen off his horse and landed on his head a few too many times. :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am 

Soused Lt ( he was at the tavern too long), I too, hate to see a challenge linger unanswered . Or in the case of a French challenge, grow moldy and smelly whereupon they declare it a national delicacy and force the people to pay a premium for it.

So I will pick up your lavender infused glove and accept your challenge. In return I will slap your face with my leather gauntlet as a sign of gentlemanly respect.

How about something in the Prelude to Waterloo family. I will I trust you to find a challenging fight. My tent is located in the low rent area of the allied encampment, marked as Nh260@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 am 

General Jones,

I shall ignore your impudent remarks, and instead of passing on insults why not face me in battle maybe then it will be you who has the insult of defeat.

I have also noticed that only 2 challenges have been made and both by Ensigns and neither of them belong to the British Army but instead from the KGL and Spanish Armies. All I can say is that the British Officers hide behind their women folk's skirts and only shout insults because they think we can't hurt them. Run to your mothers and hide Englishmen because the might of France is going to teach you a hard lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 am 

Ensign Bradshaw

I accept your challenge and now you can run back to your so called Spanish Heroes and tell them the might of France is going to show them how a real battle is fought.

Oh and by the way since when were there any Spanish Heroes, didn't they all run away and let the British do the fighting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 am 

Spanish heroes are an interesting lot. As an example we let loose a herd of bulls in town and flee before them. Those that survive are labeled heroes, more so if they haven't stained their britches. Or we build a mighty armada and declare heroes any that return to port intact.

Other countries call heroes those that tear children from their mother's arms and then guillotine them both in the name of equality and fair play.

Then others declare heroes from those that return from battle carrying a captured gold colored bird figurine taken from the shaking hands of a defeated enemy. We all have different standards.

So I will head to the front line, being chased by a bull, in hopes of finding you ready to do battle on a map suitable for honorable, balanced play to test our skills.

Au revoir, Sous Lt!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 am 
Sous Lieutenant Hornsby:

How you Frenchmen can believe that you have any possibility whatsoever of ruling the world when you know so little of your enemies is amazing to me. There is no British Army in our club, only the Anglo-Allied Army of which the KGL and Spanish soldiers are an intergral part. If it is truly a British officer which you seek, then I must admit that I do not match that profile. I think there is very little doubt in the minds of the officers of this club that, like my brethren in the King's German Legion, I am a Hanoverian.

Should you one day advance beyond the Matix titles that you currently play, and purchase the HPS Waterloo title, I will gladly meet you on the field of Quatre Bras. It is never my habit to seek the swords of the junior officers of France, but your confidence is impressive, and I am a firm believer in allowing a man to follow the path of his own destiny.

Cheers, Lt. Hornsby. Send me a courier when you have discovered some new maps, and by all means do try to keep your head down in your engagement with Cadete Porta-Bandeira Bradshaw. It would be a shame were you to be accidentally killed before we can cross swords ourselves.