Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm 

French Lieutenant Colonel seeks combat with Allied officer to determine the fate of Europe. (Someone has to do it, might as well be us.) Any HPS game (except Bautzen), medium length scenario (30-50 turns), and 4-5 turns per week. Please reply if interested.

Cordialment,

Lt. Col. Bill Reaves

1ère Division
5éme Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm 
Salute!

Ah, Lt Col Reaves, very good to see you sir, says the Tirailleur officer as he strides up beside his comrade.

Still here looking for an opponent, after such a wide open offer too, any game except Bautzen, medium length scenario... Whatever could be the problem here?

The Tirailleur pauses to sip from his water bottle before continuing...

Hullo! Hullo over there! he fairly shouts across the stream and towards the woods.
Is there no lackey of the Coalition with the courage to take up this challenge?

The aristocrats of Europa await the defense of their honor.

Pause, then - I think I heard furtive movement in the underbrush, wary now..

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:29 pm 
A red coated, Hanoverian officer emerges from the underbrush, the thorny vines pulling at the horse hairs of his helmet and clinging to the spurs on his boots.

"Verdamdt, not only is the color of my coat wholly unsuitable for concealment, but the trappings of this uniform do not well lend themselves to stealth either."

"Ah, General Schmidgall, very good to see you, sir. And Colonel Reeves! It has been some time since we crossed swords in Belgium and Saxony. Still tossing challenges at the Coalition, I see. Well," he says as he looks at the vacant terrain around him, "there certainly are not many Coalition officers to be found these days, I must admit."

"Now, in answer to your question, a Coalition officer does stand before you who has the courage to defend our noble cause, but unfortunately I do not have the available time at the moment. I will, however, endeavour to ask around on your behalf."

"I don' t suppose either of you have seen an extraordinarily large Hanoverian stallion milling about, have you? I seem to have misplaced my horse."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

Mon General,

Sadly, my scouts report your magnificent steed was butchered and eaten by your Cossacks, as is their habit.

1ère Division
5éme Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 pm 

Hey boss,

You want me to steal, err borrow you know who's horse again??????

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Salute!

The Tirailleur pales at the description of the horse-eating Pirates of the Don.

Recovering, he greets his oft times opponent upon the battle maps (including a current engagement in the environs of Altenburg, Bautzen) -

Or perhaps they mistook an oxen for your steed.

Behind the Hanoverian there was a sound in the trees, as of an elephant or is it a stallion, trampling through the bushwhack.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 pm 

Lt Col Reaves, if I may offer my services ... The bruising has healed and the few visible scars have lost their redness from our past crossing earlier, though they do itch intolerably. And it gives me a chance to show off my new signature block resplendent in my new uniform. I have heard many a French lass crossing to the other side of the lane as they approach the Rhine Tavern ( for surely no lady of quality would be found anywhere near the entrance) comment on how manly I look in it. I also assure them that unlike my French brethren, I do not wear a cod piece, it is all Spaniard!

As you have the superior rank, earned on the field of battle, or some such propaganda from your side of the trenches, I will demur to your choice in battle. I have the modern software Leipzig and the BG group of NIR, Prelude to Waterloo, and Waterloo. Though Age of Sail could be a hoot.

I believe you know where to send your messenger, but just in case, nh260 at msn dot com

I have a bigger tent now with my recent promotion but most of my belongings are missing from my recent losses.

And if you use your looking glass in the signature, you will see what motivates my troops to fight for victory, gold, and weekend pass.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:18 pm 

Monsieur Lieutenant,

Congratulations on your promotion! I am pleased to learn your noble scars have healed. Please enjoy your newly-discovered manhood while you can, before you lose it once again on the field of battle.

I will choose HPS Leipzig for our fight, scenario M15-T5 Battle of Meridien. The Allies make the first move. I await your turn at wreaves@austin.rr.com.

Belligerently yours,

Lt. Col. Bill

1ère Division
5éme Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm 

Allied marching orders have been issued. No shots fired at my gallant men so far. Always a good sign. A lot of virgin woodland here in this battle. Not much opportunity to preen about in my new uniform. And the officer's mess in an oversized teepee is different.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 pm 
Scotsmaster wrote:
Sadly, my scouts report your magnificent steed was butchered and eaten by your Cossacks, as is their habit.

"Why Colonel Reeves, there is not a Cossack alive who could butcher my faithful steed", says the King's Dragoon Guardsman as he glances over his shoulder at the return of his horse, "but there would no doubt be a lot of dead ones were they ever to make the attempt. No need to fetch the Generaal's horse, Sir Rat, as mine seems to have found me again as is his usual habit."

The red coated Guardsman places his foot in the left stirrup, grasps the saddle's pommel, and swings himself up onto the back of the massive stallion with practiced ease.

Adjusting the reins, he once again addresses his French adversaries on the opposite bank, "I will leave you now to the tender ministrations of my fierce, Spanish ally, Colonel Reeves, although I do find it somewhat amazing that you still believe the reports of your scouts, considering your relatively high rank. You see Colonel", says the Hanoverian with a grin, "like everything else, your scouts actually tell you whatever we pay them to say. God save our benevolent king, gentlemen."

And with that, the red coated officer turns and rides away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 pm 

Quote:
there is not a Cossack alive who could butcher my faithful steed

The reason that Cossacks will not eat the Hanoverian General's Steed, is simply because Cossacks do not like Mule Meat!