Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 am 

Would like to pick up another game. Anyone open for an Eckmuhl game of medium size?

Would like a good file return rate. 3-5 per week.

Options: All ON except for MDF, NRO, PR, MIM.

No hiding units behind wagons, using Col Anonymous as a scout, skirmishers must be within 5 hexes of their parent BRIGADE.

In addition ... I would like to try a new Fog of War rule:

Limited response to action.
1. If brigade leader has no LOS to action he cannot respond unless in command control of Division leader.
2. Same for Division leader - Corps leader.
3. Same for Corps leader - Army leader or within 30 hexes of the corps leader who's troops are under attack AND the Corps leader of that formation (the one whose troops are being attacked) must be in command control of the division leader ...

Thus if the French VII Corps-1st Division is under attack and Davout wants to move any of his III Corps units to help ...

Lefebvre must be in command control of the division leader.
Davout must be within 30 hexes of Lefebvre.

Then in that case Davout could respond to the attack.

OR

Close Proximity rule:
Adjacent brigades (within 5 hexes of each other) can always go to each others aid regardless of unit org.

If NOT ....

We will use an online die roller to determine if the formation that desires to go to the aid of their comrades will "March to the sound of the guns"

d10 roll:

0-4 - no response
5-7 - respond in 6 turns (one hour)
8-9 - respond in 3 turns (30 mins)

Modifiers:
Distance from Corps commander to Corps commander is 50-99 hexes -1
As above but 100-199 hexes -2
Above 200 hexes -3
Commander of formation failed its command test that turn -1

If a formation is under attack and wants to go to the aid of another formation it must first pass the die roll and then initiate a Breakoff order before it can start moving to help the other formation.

Pretty simple rule. If you cant see the action happening then you cant respond. Troops do NOT block LOS for this check. Terrain does!

Thus if you stick a formation into a woods ... better keep some of its units (or leader) to where they can see what else is going on around them.

Orders:
1. Each DIVISION will have orders. (Prussian brigades in 1813-15)
2. Brigades can be detached to hold objectives but otherwise will act under the division orders.

I will create an orders sheet for us to use.

Attack - (objective/formation) - just like it says - you are attacking a formation or trying to take a location. If the formation runs away you can either follow it or try to Breakoff

Defend - again straight forward - hold an objective or location. Stay within 10 hexes of that location.

Maneuver - you are moving the division to a location - you may combine this order with Defend or Attack. If you dont list a follow on order then Defend becomes its orders once it reaches its destination.

Breakoff - used to halt an attack or fall back from an enemy.

Changing orders:
You can change your orders based on your command control situation.

Orders die roll:
0-2 - success - initiate the order immediately.
3-5 - success - initiate order in 2 turns.
6-8 - success - initiate order in 4 turns.
9 - failure - continue with current orders

Modifiers:
In command control 0
Corps commander stacked with the Division commander -2
Out of command control +3
Leader has a B or better command rating -1
Leader has a D or worse command rating +3

If your enemy is attacking your location and pressing you back then a Breakoff order is automatic. You can fall back as far as needed to avoid total defeat.

This is my simplified version of my Command Control rules. I would like to try them out with another player in the club.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

Last edited by Bill Peters on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:37 pm 

SIMPLIFIED?????? :mrgreen:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:13 am 

Yes, Ernst, you should have seen the original DOCUMENT I wrote on command and control.

Some of us would like a more realistic approach. A corps 180 hexes away from an ambush can suddenly just abruptly turn about and start going to the aid of the "victims." In the system I am suggesting there would have to be a check to see if they even KNOW that their comrades in arms are under attack at all.

Also: orders help the players keep to a historical approach. Many of the guys here in our club have played miniature battles where they wrote orders for their troops. If we can do it for miniatures why not a computer game?

I think as I get older I would prefer to have a game take LONGER to finish (since none of us is in a race to have the most points) but have more of a realistic flavor too.

Yes, this system will need a few playings to hash out all of the kinks but I am easy on it. If the players make a mistake who cares. At least we will be trying to do something to get away from "instant reaction" and "troops just moving about with no historical orders system."

Adjacent brigades will be able to act in concert. Not so those that are separated by woods or hills or other cover ....

I am not bothered if I do not get anyone to play. Its the idea that I am pitching something different than the ordinary blood and gore match! ;)

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm 

Do you mean this rule set?
http://wargame.ch/board/nwc/viewtopic.p ... 37&start=0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:00 pm 

Hi Bill

As an avid wargamer I see your point. I have played many a wargame as a commander and 2 or 3 commanders beneath me. It is all played to be as realistic as possible such as throwing a die to decide if a messenger gets through with an order. Even on the tabletop this can be employed with troops hidden behind hills or in towns and the umpire is informed and the enemy troops can be ambushed. I agree this needs testing so if you dont get an opponent Bill I would be happy to give this a try. Let me know your thoughts

:frenchsalute:
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:57 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:

Yes, I posted those rules some time back. They are too complicated for me to want to pursue.

This is a simplified set and I will be careful to make allowances for ambiguities I didnt count on when I play them with someone.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:00 am 

Mark Hornsby wrote:
Hi Bill

As an avid wargamer I see your point. I have played many a wargame as a commander and 2 or 3 commanders beneath me. It is all played to be as realistic as possible such as throwing a die to decide if a messenger gets through with an order. Even on the tabletop this can be employed with troops hidden behind hills or in towns and the umpire is informed and the enemy troops can be ambushed. I agree this needs testing so if you dont get an opponent Bill I would be happy to give this a try. Let me know your thoughts

:frenchsalute:
Mark

Mark - lets give it a go then. I dont think Ernie was looking for a game with me ... just trying to poke this old Air Force guy with jest.

I will PM you with my email and we can then exchange thoughts. If you see something that needs explaining let me know.

I will locate an "Online Die Roller" for us and we can use it to perform our die rolls. More as we email each other!

NWC Founding Member