Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am 

New Coalition officer looking for small game.

Like to play Coalition side

Own Waterloo, Marengo and 1814

You can choose the rules as I am still learning how they effect the game.

Not sure what house rules are!

Can make 3-4 turns a week

Email: jrossbach520 at gmail dot com

Last edited by Jeff Rossbach on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 pm 

Good luck, Ensign Rossbach and welcome to the club! :frenchsalute:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:45 pm 

Hi, Jeff:

Are you still looking for an opponent?

I'm a French player and I'm looking too to play a small play

Own Bautzen, Leipzig, the Peninsular War one and 1814, so we could play a scenario from the 1814 game.

I think I can play four or five turns every week, maybe some more

Regards,
Carlos

3ème Division - 2ème Brigade
75ème Règiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Vive L'Empereur!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:48 pm 

Sir,
Look forward to the game. Your choice of rules and scenario. My email is jrossbach520 at gmail dot com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 am 

Need some guidance, I went to register our game per club rules, but am unable to. Carlos, are you a member here? I can't find your name in the officers list so I can't register our game. This is a bit confusing. I went through each members name line by line but can't find your name. Is this some kind of initiation I was unaware of?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 am 

It seems Carlos is classed as Inactive, that's why you cannot register the game.

Carlos, you need to contact John or Ernie to reactivate you!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

Carlos Summers wrote:
Hi, Jeff:

Own Bautzen, Leipzig, the Peninsular War one and 1814, so we could play a scenario from the 1814 game.

Regards,
Carlos

You are now re-activated.. you had most liley failed to respond to musters and were made in active

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 am 

John Corbin wrote:
Carlos Summers wrote:
Hi, Jeff:

Regards,
Carlos

You are now re-activated.. you had most liley failed to respond to musters and were made in active

:thumbsup: Thank you. Yes, I forgot to respond to musters but I'll try to respond all of them in the future

3ème Division - 2ème Brigade
75ème Règiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
Vive L'Empereur!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 am 

Thank you, I was just confused and thought it was some sort of initiation for new guys. I am not sure what a "muster" is. Could someone clarify please. I read the Rules but it is not clarified in them. Also, what are "house rules"? Is there a list for them so I can follow them? Could not find them either in the rules section. Sorry for asking to many questions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am 

Hi, Jeff:

House rules are rules that are not designed for the game but the players think they are useful to have a balanced game. Somo players prefer not to use them. Other players don't want to play without them. Sure you can find a lot of posts about it in the forum. About the house rules to play, no all the players uses the same.

To muster is that from time to time you will be asked, as a member, to write a post in the forum to tell about your activity playing. You can say just "hey, I'm here". You can also tell about the games that you are playing. They want to know who are still active members of the forum and who don't visist it anymore.

Regards,

Carlos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 pm 

Hey Jeff,

Welcome! :) Glad to have you with us!

The house rules that are often used are the same as the Master of Europe (MOE) Tournament rules:

------------------------------------------

M – MELEE

M.0 Players must agree before the game to use either the “no melee elimination optional rule” or an Embedded Melee house rule.

M.1 If the “no melee elimination optional rule” IS NOT BEING USED, then all melée combat takes place in an Embedded Melée Phase within the player turn. The player may move and/or fire as many units as he wishes, setting up his melée combats for the turn. He then executes ALL melée combats. He may then move and/or fire any units still eligible to do so, but may not conduct any further melée combat for the remainder of the turn. Players will have to agree on whether or not the optional rule or the embedded melee phase, or both, is in effect.

M.2 Melée attacks against skirmishers (if numbering less than 100), wagons, and/or leaders may be conducted at any time during the turn. Overruns by charging cavalry can occur BEFORE the embedded melee phase.

M.3 IF THE EMBEDDED MELEE RULE IS IN EFFECT: Charging cavalry may still melée multiple hexes in one turn, but the first two of these melées must take place within the embedded Melée Phase. For example, charging cavalry MUST initiate their first melee within the melee phase. It may then attack a second hex BEFORE melees involving other units are initiated. In other words, charging cavalry can conduct two (2) melees BEFORE all other melees are conducted. This allows cavalry an opportunity (though limited) to penetrate and cut off retreat routes. AFTER all other melees are done, then charging cavalry can undertake their third and fourth melees if they desire. After the initial melee, attacking cavalry can move through clear terrain, overrun skirmishers, artillery, and wagons without restriction. These actions do not count as melees. Cavalry intending to conduct such melée attacks must, obviously, charge BEFORE the embedded Melée Phase.

S – SKIRMISHERS

S.1 Skirmishers in clear terrain must remain within 3 hexes of any unit of their brigade when an enemy unit is in sight and is within 20 hexes.

S.2 Skirmishers that are in the open may use any bde of their division to be attached to if all of the formed infantry of their bde is destroyed.

S.3 Skms may melée other skms, artillery, or wagons and/or unaccompanied leaders without restriction. However, skms can only melee formed units (ordered or disordered) if the units are of equal or less strength than the attacking skms.

S.4 Skirmishers that are deployed in the open at the beginning of a scenario may remain in place or may advance for cover. If they advance towards the enemy without formed inf they must make it to cover in one move.

S.5 NEW: Cavalry units with a strength of less than 25 men cannot be used in covered terrain to block road movement of larger units (also see miscellaneous rule #8).

C – CAVALRY

C.1 Cavalry may not charge into covered terrain (villages, towns, woods, marshes, chateaux, etc.). They may however continue a charge-melee into one hex of covered terrain but the first melee must have occurred against a noncovered terrain hex. Cavalry may charge across hedges, embankments, and streams.

MISCELLANEOUS

1. Artillery may not enter any chateau hex unless forced by combat to retreat into a chateau. If this occurs, then the artillery cannot unlimber.

2. Leaders and supply wagons will not be used to take enemy objective hexes or to prevent the retreat of enemy units.

5. Squares: Squares are not allowed to be formed in (or move into) covered terrain. If the cavalry can't get to you why form square?

6. ZOC's and Retreats: Individual officers and wagons can never be used to prevent retreats.

7. Units may be voluntarily removed from the map board without penalty unless those units would be isolated with zone of control (if zoc extended beyond the map edge).

8. NEW: Formed units with a strength of 25 or less cannot move next to enemy units, may not be used to block retreat routes, and should generally be withdrawn from the front lines whenever possible.

GLOSSARY:

Cover hexside: hedges, forts, creeks, walls, streams, rivers... Any hexside that would disorder line infantry passing through it.

Cover terrain (hex): woods, rough, marsh, orchards, village... Any hex that would disorder line infantry entering it.

When estimating enemy strength, assume ‘??’ = 50.

--------------------------------------------

You and your opponent can cherry pick the rules you want to use, not all rules that are out there have to be used, as long as you and the other player agree to what will be used before starting the game.

As for musters, Carlos is correct, but at the moment the Coalition forces, the Anglo-Allied Army included, don't hold any musters. But don't let that stop you from posting in the forum about your games and any victories too.... :thumbsup:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 pm 

Just to clarify what Scott said, house rules are optional and are agreed to by players ahead of time. I usually do not play with house rules.
some courtesy rules are to not suicide scout with Col. Anonymous and not to screen your front line with wagons. Even if you are not playing with house rules, if you do those things some people may not want to play you again.

People use house rules for different reasons-some want to give the game a more historical flavor and others want to cut out easy "gamey" things like using wagons to screen a cavalry charge. And, well, pretty much everyone has an idea about what is historical!

After you play a few games, you will find players you like to play against and whose style and skill level fit yours. This does not mean you should avoid players at different skill levels, just that you will find your comfort zone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am 

Thank you for the detailed information!

I also marked the post as closed, I see others did that and was not aware I was required to do the same.