Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:24 am 

Just played this one. The Austrians start the game fixed. The Advance Guard releases after a few turns, when the French are already crossing the river, and the objective therefore is to delay the French host long enough for the rest of the army to release. A fighting retreat, but slowly enough to protect the Reserve Cavalry which is stuck in the centre and which releases later. In our game the French raced up the road to Marksgrafneussel in the northeast, almost unopposed, flanking the now routed Advance Guard, and were on the Russbach by turn 31 (9am), whilst the defenders don't release until turn 35.

The French need a huge amount of points to win this one, and each objective hex is therefore a high value. Rather reminiscent of Nirproject in fact. The French were still on a Major Defeat despite grabbing all the objectives in the northeast in our game, but fighting with both hands tied behind my back was demoralizing. Yes some Austrians would release when the French got within LoS the following turn, but it would have been a contest then simply to hold a line in the south, easily outflanked.

It certainly wasn't historical, and lasted less than half a day. Historically the French reached Glinzendorf in the northeast by mid afternoon, not early morning. A no fixed unit scenario, or one where the Austrians release much sooner, would possibly be more realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:10 am 

I probably need to release the Austrians earlier. Thanks for the feedback on this one!

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)