Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Napoleonic Series
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:51 pm 

Guys - why I am not going to debate the merits of H&R or why I wont change my PDT files is simply this: I am putting together a new Napoleonic series using a brigade level approach. Movement will be using area spaces instead of hexes.

This will allow players to command armies and not micromanage the battlefield. They will be Napoleon, Blucher, Charles or Wellington. Brigades will be under Divisions and there will be command combat effectiveness. You wont see units fight until they cease to exist (unless they surrender).

Melee matchups will be right out of Brent Nosworthy's book "With Musket, Cannon and Sword.

You will have Command Points to use for each turn per major formation. There will be Army Morale. Armies wont fight to extinction.

We cant change the John Tiller series Napoleonic game series to conform to history at this point so I am working to bring us something that will allow us to still enjoy the color of the period, the tense moements of contact, as well as all of the historical things like frontage and so on.

I enjoy playing the Napoleonic series as is. I understand its faults but also have yet to see an answer via a reduction in stacking. What you end up with is more counters cluttering up the map, it becomes very hard to move the units with such a pileup on the map.

If you enjoy H&R great. I had this debate years ago and just wont reopen it.

Instead I prefer to break new ground in the computer world with a brand new serires that will come with a set of battles with more modules to come. You wont have to install separate games. Updates to the core game will only be done once ... and not for 8-15 titles.

Slitherine does this and it works. The players buy the core game and then add on the modules they are interested in. I just did the Battle Academy: Fortress Metz module with them and it was a good experience for me.

So enjoy the currrent games. Come up with mods and custom PDT files. But I am busy with a full time job now, my older work is all done, and I am working on more games now.

I even have boardgame designs I want to work on as well as a few other computer game series. I am going to be looking for programmers to help me out. Lots of more creative things coming down the pike ;)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:08 am 

Interesting! Thanks for the info Bill. We look forward to future bulletins.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 am 

Good for you and us also.

Looking forward to see the finished product.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 am 

Thank Bill

to share with us this new battle experience.
I think that i'll buy it as soon as it will be on the web.
Have you ever thought about a crowndfounding?

Antonio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 am 

Antonio Zinno wrote:
Have you ever thought about a crowndfounding?

Antonio

I am not acquainted with "crowndfounding" - what is that?

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 am 

literally from google translate
"the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet."
all who are interested to make this project can contribute as they want ; i will be the first cause i am very interested in this project.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:57 pm 
http://www.gofundme.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 pm 

Thanks for the offer ... but I do not want to post a business venture up on that site. It looks like it applies more for folks that have real needs.

The entire project gets paid for after the game releases. Artists that work with the company we will be releasing the game with understand that.

I think it would cause me more tax issues than it would help.

I did get helped by folks from the gaming community during my semi-homeless condition but as long as I am working I do not want to accept contributions. I have even pulled my webpage which was for support. I figure that the cost will come out of the royalties and once I get several projoects released and keep the mill rolling with more products that the next 8 years should be lucrative. It will just take the initial 2-3 years of getting to that point that will matter.

But if I suffer some sort of reversal with work or health I will keep it in mind.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 pm 

I respect your Decision Bill

my offer was only to speed up the production of the game, nothing more.

Good luck with your project, hope to see it soon

Antonio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am 

Bill, will we see your new series again at JTS/HPS?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 pm 

Kickstarter.com would be a more appropriate choice for crowd funding this sort of venture.

A LOT of the latest boardgames are being funded through this route today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:36 pm 

Christian - I cant name the publisher .... it wont be with John Tiller or HPS.

Mike - thanks for that site .... that fits in more with what I am working on ... might consider that but if its a loan site no thanks. And I really dont want to get folks money for a commercial venture. Best way is just to get lots of titles in the process (in progress, released and paying) and just go from there.

Once I get my bills paid off and a vehicle things will be easier ... should not take too long ... when i was semi homeless the donations were appreciated. Now I have a day job and might even be made supervisor so that would mean more money.

GMT Games who makes boardgames has a P500 program. They tell you about the product and dont add it to the production process until enough people commit to the idea. I like that approach but have yet to see a game company that does that with computer games.

NWC Founding Member