Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:23 am 

For Campaign Bautzen and Campaign 1814: Gathering of Eagles I will plan on adding in new 15 min. format scenarios into the updates.

I will work on Bautzen first as the battles there are typically longer than those in 1814.

I hope to have this project done by the end of Summer.

These scenarios will use the new 15 min. format I am using for my next John Tiller title. For more information see my other thread on the Night Turns/15 Min Format which I posted today.

Battles like Bautzen and Lutzen will benefit most from the 15 min move format. I do not know if I will have time to convert all of the campaign scenarios. Will do my best :)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:40 pm 

Will you do some work on Leipzig too?
If so, I just scanned over the Leipzig files and found some files that look erroneous, you might want to take a look.

x_M15-CR_006_Grossbeeren_HTH.scn
Despite using M15 in the filename the scenario uses an 10 minutes PDT zw_CavR_Grossbeeren.pdt but there is already a scenario w_M10-CR_006_Grossbeeren_HTH.scn that uses 10 minutes, although the description doesn't mention any info about this being a 15 minute scenario I still guess that the wrong PDT was used and that one with 15 minutes was intended to be used and that the scenario is intended to be a 15 minute scenario.

zx_CavR_Dresden.pdt
Although it uses 15 minutes turns it has movement values of a 10 minute turn, infantry has 16 and cavalry 21.
Likely it's redundant as it's identical with zx_M15_CavR_Dresden.pdt.

zx_CavR_Leipzig_10-16_19.pdt
Despite M15 is missing in the filename the PDT uses 15 minutes per turn and although it uses 15 minutes turns it has movement values of a 10 minute turn, infantry has 16 and cavalry 21.
Seems to be only used by x_M15-CR_074_Leipzig_HTH.scn, as that is intended to be a 15 minute scenario I guess the movement rates are wrong and the filename on this PDT too.

zx_M15_CavR_Dresden.pdt
Although it uses 15 minutes turns it has movement values of a 10 minute turn, infantry has 16 and cavalry 21.
Seems t be only used by x_M15-CR_020_Dresden_HTH.scn, as that is intended to be a 15 minute scenario I guess the movement rates are wrong in this PDT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 pm 

Leipzig would for sure get my vote, if we could vote! :sly:

As a owner of all 10 HPS/JTS NAP titles, I still feel that Leipzig is the best NAP game to be released to date.

It has a really good feel to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 pm 

Thanks, Christian! I will update those file and do a check on the others as well just to be sure.

Look for them (hopefully) in the next round of updates.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:25 pm 

Compass Rose wrote:
Leipzig would for sure get my vote, if we could vote! :sly:

As a owner of all 10 HPS/JTS NAP titles, I still feel that Leipzig is the best NAP game to be released to date.

It has a really good feel to it.

When I picked up Leipzig as a project I knew I had one of the more popular titles to work on. I also knew that the 1813 campaign would require two games. Leipzig has an enormous amount of battles in it. At one point I thought about including the August battles in the Bautzen game (for later release after Leipzig) but I did not want to split up the Fall campaign.

Glad you like the game. It truly was a joy to work on - had a lot of help - folks are now enjoying the fruit of our labors.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 pm 

Out of curiosity, why did Leipzig came before Bautzen?
I imagine that the research done for Bautzen would have benefited the work on Leipzig, but I can't imaging that work on Leipzig benefited Bautzen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:42 pm 

Christian,

The research was done simultaneously for both. Production of Leipzig came first simply because it's the more famous of the two campaigns, would draw larger sales and spur interest in the lesser known Bautzen campaign.

Paco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 am 

Paco is correct ... here is some background into the Leipzig game:

The game was first started by one of our former NWC members: Ray Panfil. Ray's version of the game was to include all of the battles but when I was given the project I realized that the artwork would consume a lot of John's graphics team's time. I also realized that to do the 1813 campaign correctly it would take me several years. Ray dropped out of communication and the project was given to me.

I had playtested the original 1813 game with Ray and when I got started on the project realized that the maps would need to be redone. I did up all of the files from scratch using nothing that Ray had done before.

The Fall campaign was by far the most time consuming for research that I had done so far yet it had a lot of materials available so unlike 1814 I was not without help. I also had Warren Bajan to help me with the language translation and many others on the team added in tidbits that were very helpful.

The idea of using one set of graphics for 3 games had come to me when I was working on Jena. I was hoping that the Eylau and Austerlitz games could also use the same set (obviously with unique icons for each title). However, there was a time gap between each of these titles and Joe's artwork was improving with each so that idea was out. However, I realized that if I could get one graphics set for the 1813 and 1814 games that John would do better by promoting 3 titles instead of 2. And I also would get a breather on the 1813 campaign after the Fall title went out.

So we hit it hard from 2009 to 2011 and the result is what I consider the best game in the Napoleonic Battles titles. Bautzen came out after 1813 primarily because I wanted to include the Russo-Swedish War of 1808-09 in that title and didn't have the research materials I needed. It all came together very nicely. As I worked on 1814 a book by Andrew Uffindell came out that filled in necessary information I needed. Unfortunately George Nafziger's book on the 1814 campaign was not ready but he sent me OB info I needed during the production of the game. And the Bautzen game - well more info on 1813 became available so I added that in as well.

You might find it interesting to note that the map that Ray Panfil built for the Leipzig battle had less hexes than mine - his scale was off ... resulting in more of a wall to wall troops feeling of the battle. After reading on the battle I realized that Leipzig was a mammoth battle and that a lot of room was needed especially on the southern front for the massive Army of Bohemia to maneuver.

I have been getting help from Cezary on the Silesian maps and I hope to add those into the next update for Bautzen and Leipzig.

NWC Founding Member