Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm 

Guys, the first update for Bonaparte's War is out and can be found here:

http://johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html

Please note that you need to delete two files in the main folder before you apply the update. They are:

cpb.exe (this is the main program)

AND

nwedit.exe (this is the Scenario Editor)

For the first time there is some sort of file sharing issue so make sure you do this first.

I have not had time to see what was changed. Either Rich White or Andrew Bamford could give us more specifics.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:02 pm 

Changes for Bonaparte's Peninsular War V1.01
- Scenario, campaign, and graphics updates.
- Change to Spanish color in Jump Map.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 pm 

I say, steady on. The British have gone pink!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm 

I dont like the new counter look. Looks awful :(

They have little depth to them .... they look like paper thin counters or there were painted right on the map.

Also: the 2D Mag zoom view doesn't work now.

Sent some notes off to John and Rich about it.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:31 pm 

Andy Moss wrote:

Andy,

In New England we call that color "Nantucket Red." :frenchhappy:

Regards,

Paco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 am 

That punk must be an early attempt of "biological warfare", afaik it ended in the famous British secret weapon of WW2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsW9DO1k5-s

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:43 am 

Edited:

Not worth my time. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:25 am 

Nantucket red huh. Ok. I'll try and think of it that way. :frenchoops:

Bill, 2D zoom in does work for me.

Anyway thanks for the update Steve. Everyone of course has their own preferences for graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:17 am 

Andy - my 2D Mag Zoom works fine. I was using the wrong menu to try and change it .. (the default look ... duh).

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:41 am 

Andy Moss wrote:

Just our rugby team. :frenchoops:

10th. Br. Bde.,
40th.(2nd. Somersetshire) Regt. of Foot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:22 pm 

Prior to this thread, I never got any complaints about leaving off the bevel, and never got any complaint about the colour of the British. The entire file set was really only to be used because the Spanish flag was incorrect in BPW -note that the original stock file uses Austria's flag for VP hexes (Spain was no longer run by the Habsburgs in the Napoleonic Wars -had not been for a long time -I thought that much was pretty obvious - and I only went with something more or less representative nationally - Spain either side's version of it did not use a national ensign when going into battle and these varied by unit).

The colours were changed around mainly due to the issue of some of it made the unit symbology more difficult to easily make out. Now, John (Corbin) has mentioned the 2d symbols that come as stock as being an issue - and with monitor sizes getting larger and resolution sizes getting more expansive that means that these graphics (the 2d unit type) will become increasingly smaller.

At the moment the solution is that there is programming code that magnifies the lager of the 2d bmp files to I guess double the size or so -and that basically pixellates straight edges on diagonal lines among other things. I want to be in a position where things are ready if the company decides to add another, larger 2d set of graphics -like has been done in the Panzer Battles series. It can be done pretty easily, to be honest - at least from a supplying graphics files standpoint ... I have no idea how much programming would be involved or even if JT would want to go there in a mature series. My only point is -that it will not be for lack of the art files.

In a perfect world though, I'd have been talking about png files instead of bmp files - but you have to work with what you are given.

And for what it's worth - 8 bit is the past, and 24 bit is where the look is going - this is from the company; it would have been me saying it but essentially I was told to do what I already was doing.

I guess it is a bad 'teaser' for one of the projects that I am working on -on the unitbox, colors were changed there for 2 slots not being used - which amounts to I was using a template from something else. I have a lot more slots to fill, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:30 am 

Thanks for that info Steve. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:51 pm 

Steve - its a shame that the series has gotten to such a non-standard level. So much I suggested was not acted on. Then all of a sudden other things get changed .... Mark decided to make the French counters a different color I think because of some kind of color problem ... really not sure what happened for Leipzig.

But really .. the counters need the bevel. I hope you guys decide to put it back on the standard default set. Its just deviating from the standard.

As we all know there isnt too much that John can do at this point BUT I do know we used 24 bit graphics in the Leipzig series of games. So much for sticking with only 8 bit ... but again ... we might be talking about two different things ...

The roads, trails, pikes all need an update. Ed Williams did a nice job of doing that with the WW1 series. Good for him! The Panzer series needed it badly ... its why I came up with my set.

So Ed did his set .. and my feeling is that at least we could fix that part. Hoping maybe you have some influence on that. Joe Amoral telling me for my current project that he wont be changing any of the base artwork as that is not in the plan. Maybe a chat with Rich to incorporate a better looking set of 2D terrain could be in the works?

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:06 pm 

Ad far as Ed's series goes, I think it is probably more accurate to say that he got JT's ok to use Jan Johanssen as his artist; the work in there isn't Ed's (afaik) but Jan's.

Jan and I have a pretty good working relationship (excellent I would say ... occasionally we bounce ideas off each other.).

I don't have any idea what they are going to do with the NB series graphics; it might not be much; it also isn't that much to put the original counters back in place -takes about 2 seconds of copy/paste/save.

If/when I have time I will work with some beveling and see if it works -although it will only be in the context of the projects that they have me on. It won't be until I am done with needing to liaise with Joe though. I can only think though that it is going to be dependent upon what unit symbols are going on top of the counter itself. There are three requirements for this from where I see things. I don't know that it will work, but on the other hand I don't know that it won't either- not without trying it.

1) The unit type must be clearly legible
2) Facing needs to be clearly indicated
3) Side needs to be clearly indicated (even or especially when using Division Colors).
3a) Before anyone says anything ... I think the Division Colors are hard coded into the programming -there isn't a lot that can be done with that (it is sort of like the side colors on the jump maps.).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:47 am 

Gentlemen

Usual question and especially as I have three games on the hob.
Do both parties in a battle have to update at the same time?