Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St Crispin's Day
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:37 am 

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

600 years to the day, how I could do with those "longbows" :frenchwink1:

Post subject: Re: St Crispin's Day
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:28 am 

Ahhh the Battle of Agincourt a bloody day Sir won I must say by the longbow of the English. The French nobility suffered badly for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:03 pm 

Mark Hornsby wrote:
Ahhh the Battle of Agincourt a bloody day Sir won I must say by the longbow of the English. The French nobility suffered badly for it.

Actually, although the English longbows were a key weapon, the weather and King Harry's superior tactics are what carried the day. It had been raining for days so the field was a sodden mess and completely unsuitable for cavalry charges. Harry dismounted his knights and armored men at arms to meet the French attack, but the French nobles refused to dismount and proceeded to charge across the muddy field. The result was that their "charge" had no momentum and the French were easy targets for the dismounted English. The armored men at arms knocked the French off their horses and the archers and unarmored yeomen finished them off, stabbing them through their visors, armor joints, etc.

When the first wave began to get massacred, instead of sending infantry and/or dismounted knights, a second wave of mounted knights blundered in making matters worse. The first wave couldn't retreat because the 2nd wave hemmed them in, but the 2nd wave couldn't do anything useful because the first wave was between them and the English. When the first wave finally routed, they rode through the 2nd wave, disordering it and spreading panic. The knights which didn't rout were then methodically slaughtered in turn by the English.

Paco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:55 am 

Bloody battle for the French.

Fortunately the 100 years war was won by buying out Edward IV from supporting Burgundy... And thanks also to the Wars of the Roses. :mrgreen:

3ème Régiment de Grenadiers - Bataillon d'élite du 3ème Légère
2ème Brigade
Grenadiers de la Réserve
Réserve
La Grande Armée
--------------------------
"From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step."
Napoléon Bonaparte

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
Groucho Marx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:44 pm 

Remembers to update the OB for our Leipzig game so that all of Jim's French forces have longbows instead of muskets or cannons! :russianveryhappy:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:16 pm 

The most uplifting speak for a Brit ever invented by a playwright in my humble opinion.
Rather work on raw emotion than history or logic :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:34 pm 

Paco wrote:
Mark Hornsby wrote:

Actually, although the English longbows were a key weapon, the weather and King Harry's superior tactics are what carried the day. It had been raining for days so the field was a sodden mess and completely unsuitable for cavalry charges. Harry dismounted his knights and armored men at arms to meet the French attack, but the French nobles refused to dismount and proceeded to charge across the muddy field. The result was that their "charge" had no momentum and the French were easy targets for the dismounted English. The armored men at arms knocked the French off their horses and the archers and unarmored yeomen finished them off, stabbing them through their visors, armor joints, etc.

When the first wave began to get massacred, instead of sending infantry and/or dismounted knights, a second wave of mounted knights blundered in making matters worse. The first wave couldn't retreat because the 2nd wave hemmed them in, but the 2nd wave couldn't do anything useful because the first wave was between them and the English. When the first wave finally routed, they rode through the 2nd wave, disordering it and spreading panic. The knights which didn't rout were then methodically slaughtered in turn by the English.

Paco

This gets accurately portrayed in Slitherine Ltd's game "Field of Glory" Medieval module which has Agincourt ... the fields make movement hard for the cavalry. The number of French units - well you cannot use them all as the field was narrow to begin with ... add to it that the French Knights get Disrupted easily and voila ... the English longbow gets to chew up the knights very well.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)