Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:27 pm 

Good day gentlemen,
I was wondering about the activity for each of the Napoleonic HPS/JTS games in this club.
At the ACWGC there are two nice pages, the "USA OBD Battlefield Report" respectively "CSA OBD Battlefield Report" where you are able to see how many times a member has fought a battle of a particular game, from there it's easy to just sum it up to see how much reported games were done for each game.

Do we have something similar for the NWC?

AFAIk there was the annual report that lists the number of battles for each game but there is no report for 2015.
As the numbers of the annual reports must come from somewhere I wonder if there is a page for it or if those were manually collected. If the former is the case it would be nice to have public access to it within the DOR, if the later is true I would request that someone is so kind to provide the numbers for 2015.
:frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:51 am 

I am pretty sure there is a way to run a report like that and I think Ludwig and Corbin know how to....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:05 am 

Hey Guys,

I actually just got done spending some of this morning getting the data together. I am publishing a short report based on the data Christian is asking for. The full report has a lot more data related to the Club, but it'll have to wait. I've spent enough time on this one.

Thanks for reminding me though. I kept forgetting to do it & there had been higher priorities to deal with with when I had time for site work. The report is done by hand from data that is available in the DoR to the Club Staff.

Here is the data for JTS/HPS games only:

http://www.wargamech.ca/wc/nwc/Club_Web ... review.pdf

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:44 am 

The MOST important statistic is 1757 games played, IMO.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:40 pm 

Sorry for causing some more workload Scott but many thanks for that PDF. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:24 am 

Yes, thanks for all your work.

It's great to be part of a thriving, active club :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm 

No problem & no worries Christian, I need to do it anyway for the larger report, so it knocks off some work for it.... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:51 pm 

Not surprised at Waterloo and Leipzig being the top two. Nice to see NIR still generating a lot of games. It was my fav. of the Nap titles from Talonsoft.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:47 am 

I took the numbers to see what was played each year and Leipzig really stands out for 2012 with 155 games of the 434 played that year.
What I find more interesting is the fact that from 2010 to 2015 each year HPS Waterloo was under the top 3 most played games, I really wonder where that comes from as it surely needs some rework as the threads here(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15442&start=0) and at the Blitz show.

Anyhow looking at the numbers for each year:
Played in 2010 = 273
Played in 2011 = 295
Played in 2012 = 434
Played in 2013 = 318
Played in 2014 = 278
Played in 2015 = 159
The release of Campaign Leipzig on late November 2011 surely helped to raise the numbers for 2012 far beyond the numbers of other years, Campaign 1814 released in May 2012 contributed only a bit with 27 of the 434 games for that year.
And I guess 2013 also benefited from Leipzig as it was on 2nd place for most played games with 85, Campaign Bautzen release at the end of December 2012 contributed only a bit with 28 of the 318 games for that year.
Bonaparte's Peninsular War couldn't bring much into 2014 as it was released on 31st October 2014 and brought only 18 games in for that year, were Leipzig was again on 1st place with 56 of the 278 for that year.
2015 saw Bonaparte's Peninsular War take effect and it contributed 45 of the 159 games for that year being the game with the most played games, but as one can see 2015 was a rather calm year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 am 

Calmer certainly. But clearing out the DoR a bit, there were a lot of games started but fizzled out, and I cancelled them after corresponding with the players. I've noticed a general shift as well, from shorter scenarios to longer games.

With Waterloo, everyone wants a revision, but it's a case of playing with it as it is. It's a popular historical battle. I like it despite the flaws.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:53 am 

I'm never able to figure out how the numbers actually add up in some of the reports. Different reports sometimes have slightly different data, but they do show the general scope of things. The French side of the Club as a whole lacked commitment to playing 1814 & Bautzen, especially when they first came out. There are folks who play it, for sure, but overall it has not been as popular as others. But I like them both and think they play nice overall. They are not easy wins for the Allies either.

Also don't forget any game prior to Leipzig has data in the old game records, which were mammoth, although Austerlitz gets a fair amount of traction in the DoR as the latest game released when DoR comes online.

Also Andy is correct that the average number of turns has been in an upswing for the first time since 2010 for both number of MP & Single Player played. 2012 - 2014 actually saw a dip in the average number of turns played. 2012 is the lowest, despite having the most MP & SP games out of any years. There were a decent amount of tournament games that year to be fair. But average turns are back towards the higher end now.

Also there are two other things to account for, some of our most prolific players are not gaming as much as they used to. So number of games are down. A good example of this is Andy's record from last year for total games played is down a bit from his highs in 2012. Mine is the same. But we are still here, even if our lives are a bit busier now. :)

The other is that there are a bit more folks who had been silent in games for several years are playing now again, which is good.

Andy also pointed out he spent a lot of time this year cleaning out the backlog of old games and getting folks to register a result or cancel them.

More normal expectations are probably where things are headed, but I think quality over quantity will be more the standard, at least I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm 

Well the French need to realize (concerning 1814 and Bautzen) that we "condescend" to play scenarios/games that are not "pro-Allied" too. I could just as easily play the French in Lutzen as the Allies.

The 1814 campaign for the most part is probably the LEAST favorite of the campaigns because of the disparity in numbers. That is compensated, however, by the high quality (for the most part) of the units in their army. While there are some National Guard units there are also a lot of Guard units. Again, I love play either side as its a huge challenge. Those big French guard squadrons are terrible to defend against.

I think one reason why I tend to play NRC more than Waterloo is that as a kid I played the old Marshall Enterprises game "La Bataille de la Moskova" and really loved the Battle of Borodino. When I played Wellington's Victory by SPI I had enjoyed it far less.

The counters for the La Bataille series were awesome too and the hidden values on the reverse side always meant some Fog of War was assured.

Funny enough one of the miniature groups in my area uses a house set of Nap miniature rules based on Wellington's victory's turn sequence. Its actually fun to play but a bit confusing as it regards the order of when things happen.

Looking forward to the next few titles that we will put out.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:34 am 

@Andy
Thanks Andy for pointing to the turn length, I'll toy around with those numbers too.

@Scott
Thanks for the observations, looking forward to get to Bautzen & 1814 one day, for now I will do Austerlitz.

@Bill
Bill Peters wrote:
Looking forward to the next few titles that we will put out.

And we all surely look forward to play them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 pm 

To be fair they aren't dramatic changes. It depends on how you sort the data, but its an increase in a handful of turns overall.

I agree with what you stated too Bill about Bautzen & 1814 as well as NRC. I enjoy them all & their different aspects.