Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 am 

Is there any way to modify the leader counters so they are easier to distinguish?

I wonder why the designers never thought to distinguish between brigade, division and corps commanders.

Instead of a simple star, why couldn't they represent a leader with one, two and three stars?

Why couldn't they differentiate between cavalry and infantry leaders with a simple shade of the common color?

I always play the large games and find management of the leaders and who they report to an extreme challenge.

I like to think I know all the tricks and rules regarding the leader aspect of these great games.

I just find it very taxing to find leaders when the shit hits the fan......especially in the outdated Waterloo.

Sometimes when I daydream, I think Mr. Tiller will begin a complete redesign and overhaul of this system. He should look at the War in the East system.

If anyone wants to see a command and control system at its finest, play War in the East pc.

That Command and control engine would be perfect for these games.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 am 

I like to use the option "View -> Show Organization" so that their commands are easily found on the map. Click on the ORG in the dialog and the entire ORG is highlighted along with the leader. If you want to find individual leaders - open up the .OOB file -> find the leader you want to find -> copy the leader name -> in the game use the option "View -> Find Leader or Units" - enter in the leader's name and click on search. In the dialog double click on the leader's name once it appears. It shows you were that leader is.

I also have a good memory of where I place my leaders. Thus if I open up the game file I usually know where to find Napoleon, Blucher, or one of the division leaders too. Even in a large battle like Leipzig.

John Tiller will not be doing a massive overhaul of this program. Its older code and he will be devoting his time to newer projects in the future. Once we have finished up the titles for the Napoleonic Battles series it will have run its course.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:43 pm 

I have to admit I did not use the ob to look up a leader then copy and paste to find him...........a really great tip.

the "show organization" under view, I knew it was there, but did not realize its potential for finding units and leaders.......another great tip.

thank you very much

Last edited by Clint Matthews on Tue May 17, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 pm 

I always learn something new about this system, Clint. Never ceases to amaze me what is in "the box."

I just learned more about the ORG File format this past month. I should have read the manual more carefully. ;)

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:25 pm 

And the font of the units is so small it takes an eagle eye to see what units are what. Since they are not going to be updated perhaps the prices could be down dated ....

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:27 am 

Which units would be you talking of, Richard? The Units.bmp pics or the 3D units or something to do with the 2D counter?

We were talking about the leader counter in this thread. Please try not to take the thread to other topics already covered for years on end. If you have an issue with the graphics send a note on to Rich at the help desk.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:18 am 

Also, and as an aside......if Leaders rank could be distinguished by modifying counters, opponents are bound to attack the higher ranks preferentially. Nothing more depressing than launching a major cavalry charge, forcing your way through the serried ranks of bayonets and grapeshot, then overrunning.....Col Anonymous.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:34 pm 

Well we all know that they could see Napoleon from a distance ...

He wasn't hard to pick out ....

But I agree, Andy, its good we dont have visual recognition of all of the leaders from afar.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 am 

I dunno, Murat would've been pretty obvious where ever he went!

:frenchcharge:

Réserve de Cavalerie, La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:23 am 

Yes, "Le Grande Peackock" must have stood out ... well like Ernie at TillerCon :frenchlol:

It was his Bermuda shorts, the shorts! :frenchlol1:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 pm 

I resemble that remark! :mrgreen:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:11 am 

Fwiw - what the OP is asking for requires an engine change (maybe more than one -if you'd want the leader to be shown as commanding the proper level formation if filling in for a leader lost during play).

All I am saying is that engine change requests are up to the individual scenario designer of a given project. It doesn't necessarily have to be limited to strictly NB, but as Bill was mentioning - NB is a mature engine that it would be unlikely to receive that sort of programming attention (not an official statement by any means -just an educated guess).

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:11 am 

Correct, Steve, and frankly John just doesn't have the time to update the game much longer. I think we all would agree that while some things could have been added we did get a lot of additions to the main program and associated editors.

If we get anything new at this point it would only be because John finds a way to slip it into his hectic schedule.

Warren Bajan dearly wanted an artillery capture rule/recrew rule and other associated items from the ACW game series. Those would be top of my list of updates - not this kind of thing.

I used to keep a list of all of the changes since Eckmuhl that I had asked for in the series. It's an amazing list and lets not lose sight of that. The series has come a long way since its inception. It's been a great ride but we need to move on to newer Napoleonic games. I for one would like to explore these battles and campaigns on the Brigade level so that battles do not take so long to conclude but yet have more detail in part. Command control for instance - it would be nice to have a brigade inactive for a turn due to being without orders.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am 

Regarding the leaders, maybe the way leader pictures are shown in the Early American Battles series could be implemented.
By this there is a chance to identify the leader.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:17 am 

That too would require an engine change, plus some big (in terms of compiling them) bmp files (they wouldn't be big in terms of file size - just the amount of information that you have to put on them).

It would also involve having to redo the OOB files to point at the appropriate graphic instead of the single area that it currently does. You could probably argue that doing the images might be more work than pointing the leader graphic to something based upon unit size -as in that case you'd be pointing it at about 5 or 6 or so different graphics - whereas using the image method there would be hundreds.

I guess the problem would be, there is no way they would go and redo all of the OOB files to accommodate this, even if they wanted to spend the time sourcing images; it wouldn't be cost effective, and there is a precedent for my saying that -which would be if you consider some of the units from the older titles when compared to some of the newer work.