Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: NWC Future vision
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm 

Not to mention GMT has its Flying Colors series that - granted it is a bit broader than just Napoleonics -but if the club were to go Vassal/Cyberboard - that would present more opportunities for a Naval aspect to the club. I imagine there are other boardgames out there covering the same topic.

More on LB - while you might be able to find all 4 -for me those are 'grail games' -so I need the tactile thing going on - I want someday to have all 4 titles - and maybe spread out the entire thing on my front lawn and have my neighbors wonder about me. :) Luckily in Australia the indoor ceilings are pretty high - so it might ultimately become one of those 'wall-mounted' games... someday (we have no basements here -so some options are a little more limited than back in the US).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:27 pm 

1. What do you like about the club?

It’s very pretty, the graphics are great, but the club is not friendly at all.

2. Why do you play games here?

I am a member of 3 other gaming clubs but only 2 of them are very active. It was very hard to get a game here.

3. Do you use the forums? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?

No, but never used them much! It seems that there are only a handful of members who use the forums and I just never felt welcome there. I sent a number of PMs to different people and never had a reply.

4. What are the things we offer that cannot be found elsewhere on the web or in your home town?

Nothing that I have found.

5. What do you like about the games we play?

They are OK but are becoming very long in the tooth. It’s time for something new. It was me who responded negatively to Mr. Peters post regarding a possible redo of the 1815 game.

6. What needs improvement in the club?

Making new people feel welcome. After reading all about how the Army structure is supposed to work, I was hoping for some sort of contact. I have been here over 6 months and have never heard anything from a fellow Army member. I did play a game with another new member but that was not a battle.

7. What can you do to contribute to the club moving forward? Screen new players (we get spammed fairly often)? Help train new players? Handle game forms (not very time consuming)? Design tournament scenarios? Help out with tournaments?

Nothing!

8. What would you like to see in the future? More historical discussion? More tournaments? More team games for advanced training?

Nothing really. I played my training game and played a battle and maneuver and have 58 OBD points. I was looking at a brand new French officer who just completed his training game and he is awarded 100 OBD points. Doesn’t seem fair.

I also want to assure Christian Heck, that I have never considered myself in LaLa Land, although my wife and I did see the movie. I did vote in Mr Peters game Survey that a remake of 1815 did not interest me but never expected to be criticized for offering ones opinion.

Maybe I came in the declining period of this club, I am sure it was once full of vibrant, witty gamers who would allow a discerning opinion and offer intelligent responses. I was very surprised by the lack of answers to this Thread about the future of this group.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 am 

Too many guys want to play with special rules.........house rules they call them.

I prefer to play with as few special rules as possible.

Usually just night rules...........no attacking......no movement beyond established lines.

Pretty simple.

I can't be bothered having different rules for each opponent.

I think that creates a roadblock when trying to hook up for a game.

I have one opponent and we agree on all rules.

We have been playing for years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 am 

Jeff Rossbach wrote:
1. What do you like about the club?

It’s very pretty, the graphics are great, but the club is not friendly at all.

2. Why do you play games here?

I am a member of 3 other gaming clubs but only 2 of them are very active. It was very hard to get a game here.

3. Do you use the forums? If so, which ones and why? If not, why not?

No, but never used them much! It seems that there are only a handful of members who use the forums and I just never felt welcome there. I sent a number of PMs to different people and never had a reply.

4. What are the things we offer that cannot be found elsewhere on the web or in your home town?

Nothing that I have found.

5. What do you like about the games we play?

They are OK but are becoming very long in the tooth. It’s time for something new. It was me who responded negatively to Mr. Peters post regarding a possible redo of the 1815 game.

6. What needs improvement in the club?

Making new people feel welcome. After reading all about how the Army structure is supposed to work, I was hoping for some sort of contact. I have been here over 6 months and have never heard anything from a fellow Army member. I did play a game with another new member but that was not a battle.

7. What can you do to contribute to the club moving forward? Screen new players (we get spammed fairly often)? Help train new players? Handle game forms (not very time consuming)? Design tournament scenarios? Help out with tournaments?

Nothing!

8. What would you like to see in the future? More historical discussion? More tournaments? More team games for advanced training?

Nothing really. I played my training game and played a battle and maneuver and have 58 OBD points. I was looking at a brand new French officer who just completed his training game and he is awarded 100 OBD points. Doesn’t seem fair.

I also want to assure Christian Heck, that I have never considered myself in LaLa Land, although my wife and I did see the movie. I did vote in Mr Peters game Survey that a remake of 1815 did not interest me but never expected to be criticized for offering ones opinion.

Maybe I came in the declining period of this club, I am sure it was once full of vibrant, witty gamers who would allow a discerning opinion and offer intelligent responses. I was very surprised by the lack of answers to this Thread about the future of this group.

Jeff - had I been your commanding officer (brigade leader) you would have heard from me on a monthly basis and more since you were new.

Yes, the club is declining and anyone else the denies it needs to open their eyes. The game participation is still there but the lively banter on the forum which marked the height of the club's involvement has died out.

Yes, it was wrong for someone to criticize you for your vote. It none of their business to do that too. In a "democratic" club setting we all should feel that we have a voice in the matter.

I do know this: These clubs take a lot of work to run and its not the guys that make things happen that are to blame. For instance:

John Corbin, Scott Ludwig, Ernie Sands, Pierre D., Andrew Moss and others in command have a lot they do. They have always been very good about answering my emails. Scott is super swamped at work but that is why he has helpers in the army.

When I commanded a brigade in the Prussian army it had a reputation for communication. I contacted the guys regularly and even set up MP games and stuff like that. A brigade command in this club is the "point man" for contact.

Bottom line: anyone that is a brigade or division commander in this club and is not communicating with their subordinates in the club structure - SHAME ON THEM! Why did you take the job in the first place?

I have had to concentrate on my game design work otherwise I could have communicated with you more than I did than just to help you get your profile picture.

Its the discretion of the armies to hand out the OBDs as needed. It might be that the training game the French officer played was longer.

Communication has always been my pet peeve with clubs. Happened in the Panzer Campaign Club and its partly why it folded. The ACWGC has a decent communication routine. Not sure how the CCC does it but when I was in that club it was handled well too.

I hope you stay with us and continue playing. I agree that getting games is difficult but once you get a regular group of say 3-4 guys you play you really dont have to look elsewhere.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 am 

Jeff,
The guy running the Brits and the Allies has had family stuff and Scott and I have not been able to step in. I will try and reach out to you this week...The club still sees a lot of games played but as Clint said a lot of established players play against each other. I have a list of 6-10 I can email when I want a game. So let me know when you want a game and I can help you find someone on your skill level and interests...

The forums have been pretty dead for a decade, with only a small core of 10-20 being active on the forums..

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:24 am 

the new JTS opponents site on Facebook is going to have an impact on membership here at NWC.

guys are flocking to the the banner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 am 

Clint, I guess we will see. I think the JTS moderated Facebook game is a good idea to drive interest in the games (I recognize about 1/2 the names on the membership list so far form here, the ACWGC, the CCC, and the Blitz) and may end up directing some people here...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm 

face... what?! :nappy:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

Jim Pfleck wrote:
Clint, I guess we will see. I think the JTS moderated Facebook game is a good idea to drive interest in the games (I recognize about 1/2 the names on the membership list so far form here, the ACWGC, the CCC, and the Blitz) and may end up directing some people here...

Maybe.......I think its a great place to hook up with all the various games and gamers, not just Nappy games.

All of these guys actually play the games.....Lots of good stuff there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:08 pm 

Clint, yes, like the blitz where all the JTS games are but on Facebook format, which I like. Very easy to use. I wonder how the moderators will handle cheating and players who get a reputation for starting lots of games and then dropping them...?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm 

Jim Pfleck wrote:
Clint, yes, like the blitz where all the JTS games are but on Facebook format, which I like. Very easy to use. I wonder how the moderators will handle cheating and players who get a reputation for starting lots of games and then dropping them...?

I don't know.........not really worried bout that.

just looking for reliable opponents who complete games and are on the same page......if you know what I mean......I am currently on vacation for the month and not really making many turns....lol

I recently met a someone who is a great fit.

not really looking for lots of opponents like the old days.......just someone who is a good fit.