Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:59 pm 

Firstly, my apologies if the subject title is shocking but I am at a loss as to how I can put it.

During my time at the club I have met some amazing people and had many a fantastic game, all lost I may add, well done to the victors, and all allied officers I may add. I have held many a fantastic position within the club starting out in command of the 111ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne, in III Corps, a Corps I was proud to be in. I was then asked by the then commanding officer David Guegan, a man who has gained my utmost respect, standing tall in the face of adversity and one who I have come to class as a friend, to become the Corps Chef d'Etat-Major. A position I took on with much zeal and through support and command from David, as well as the participation of all my fellow officers within the Corps, we built up quite an Esprit de Corps. For a brief time I became caretaker Commandant of III Corps hoping for the return of David. A short spell in the British Contingent a a short spell from the club saw me return to my old position of Chef d'Etat-Major of III Corps under the command of David Guegan. after a number of months I was asked by the Commandant of the LGA, John Corbin again a man I respect and who I count as one of many friends made at the club, to take up the position of Chef d'Etat-Major of the LGA. Again a position I took on with much zeal, that is until illness took over. Both of these two fine officers, David Guegan and John Corbin, have in the time I have been a member of this wonderful club, done so much for the LGA and the club in general.

Last year as some of you may well know, I collapsed after a reaction to new medication I was taking for a stomach problem I have. This resulted in a coma and a 4 day spell in ITU. After coming out of the coma, it was found I had mobility problems, my balance was really bad, and my eyesight was not as good, and at first they thought it was a side effect to being in a coma, then they thought it could be an allergic reaction to the medication. Not long after my last post, I saw a Neurologist, who now is sure that it was either a stroke of my spine or its a Functional Neurological Disorder, the latter he is more leaning towards. Since seeing the Neurologist my illness has progressed, resulting in frequent memory loss, and I now struggle when talking as I can't remember words so struggle to finish sentences. My balance has got poorer resulting in frequent falls and my mobility is getting worse. I barely manage the stairs now so get washed at the kitchen sink and use a commode, my adult potty as I call it. I suffer from shaking in my legs which can be quite violent which then tightens my leg muscles to the point the pain is unbearable and I don't mind admitting it has made me cry. I have been struggling both physically and mentally with my illness and due to that I now take a small dose of anti-depressants which I must say have helped. It is not known whether this will progress or will settle down and stay in the situation I'm in now, hopefully the latter, as I don't want to end up being inside a dead body, which scares me to think of.

So my resignation I must give as I feel that due to my ill health I cannot give to the club, my position of Chef d'Etat-Major and my support to the LGA Commandant, John my best. I will also be retiring from the gaming also as I think it would not be fair to start games I may never complete.

I will not be standing down straight away as I have a few things that need to be completed, so I will be looking at Easter 2018 when I will resign my position of Chef d'Etat-Major of La Grand Armee. I will place my sword on the wall of my fireplace and fold my uniform into my travelling trunk, let my horse run free in its paddock at sit at the fire reminiscing of past battles and of the friends of both foe and fellow officers I have made.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:08 pm 

It is with great reluctance that i accept your resignation. Your time in the LGA was honorable and productive. I could not ask more than that from my Chief of Staff.

I am also saddend by your worsening health issues. Health must come first.

You are always welcome here... A chair by the fire will always be ready with good food, good drink snd friends to talk to.

This is not goodbye... just see you later :frenchsalute:

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm 

Yes, John says it all. You've been a great help to the club and will be missed. Very best wishes for the future and hopefully you may return.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:37 pm 

I'm saddened to read this Mark, I had the hope that it would just take time for you to recover and get back into the saddle.
The work you put into the club and especially into the French was with a doubt very valuable, and your resignation is a heavy loss to both.
But health comes first and I hope the decline of your health can be stopped and reversed.
Wish you all the best! :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 am 

Mark - having suffered what we think was a minor stroke way back almost 20 years ago I understand and thank you for your years of service to the club. It was frustrating at the age of only 37 to suddenly find myself having difficulty with speech or in part in balance. I was mentally tired a lot. Not much has changed but the exercise really helps.

I hope that they can help you out. We wish you the best and hope that you will please stay in touch. I will add you to my prayer list.

<SALUTE>

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:33 am 

Stick slapping the ice: Well done, sir. :eagle:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:21 pm 

Best wishes and hope for a full recovery.

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 pm 

Keep well and good luck.

<<SALUTE>> :frenchvive1:

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:52 pm 

Mark, thanks for all you have done over the years. I wish you strength and perseverance in your recovery and I am glad you have support.