Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NWC rules
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 am 

Me too, Jeff. The Nap Battles series is much harder to learn than the EAW or ACW series. The cavalry charge, formation changes and what not makes it more of a challenge. Some of us are still challenged!

:frenchlol: :frenchlol1:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

Very true Jeff, I generally will only play veteran players myself.

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm 

Well, as perhaps the newest member - I certainly appreciate the time invested in me!! I have tutored new players in other series, and find it mostly joyful work. JTS games are easy to play, hard to master games.

So a great big tip-o-the-hat to Bill P, Jim P., Jim H. and Marco R. for taking the time to play a newbie (and be sure to send them some crying towels as they have to listen to me snivel and whine about how STUPID I seem to be!).

Hope I am not appropriating the thread, but as one new to the series, I wanted to say THANKS for those who are willing to help me learn.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 pm 

I just wanted to chime in and say that I was away this weekend but I will post a reply soon. There are multiple good discussions here and ones that are part of things/issues that have been clanking around in my tin can of a brain.... :frenchlol: :frenchcool

Seriously though, I'll add in some thoughts and will also talk with the other Staff folks about it too. :thumbsup: We do need some "get back to basics" time, in the near future, for the betterment of the Club.

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 pm 

Blue Nemesis wrote:
Perhaps as a compromise we could have some sort of limitation on manuver games? Maybe one a quarter could be allowed for points.

Hi Ed

It's not about points. The points are quite meaningless.

It's that wins and losses are not recorded.

When you play someone from your side, there is no winner or loser.
If you check your history in the DOR, any battle vs your nation shows no record who won.

If there is no winner or loser, there really is no point in registering the battle.

ps......the DOR forces the person registering to choose "maneuver" if from the same side.
The DOR will not allow a member to choose "fight" between same side opponents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 pm 

If it's not about the points I get it even less.
In the DOR under Status a line shows:
X OBD points and X VP (X/X/X/X/X)
and all that matters is that a maneuvers outcome is not counted to the numbers that are shown in the brackets???

If that is so important it could be checked how complicated it would be to add another bracket that counts the outcome of maneuvers.

One thing is clear, the imperfection of tracking all possible things within the DOR is surely no reasons to change long standing basics of the club, basics that were, are and surely will be a pillar to keep the club alive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 pm 

Christian Hecht wrote:
If it's not about the points I get it even less.
In the DOR under Status a line shows:
X OBD points and X VP (X/X/X/X/X)
and all that matters is that a maneuvers outcome is not counted to the numbers that are shown in the brackets???

If that is so important it could be checked how complicated it would be to add another bracket that counts the outcome of maneuvers.

One thing is clear, the imperfection of tracking all possible things within the DOR is surely no reasons to change long standing basics of the club, basics that were, are and surely will be a pillar to keep the club alive.

from my status........ latest played games........First one, a maneuver no record of gaining a major victory.
Second one, a fight Gained 1 major victory

• Major Victory in S2018M0013 after 56 turns of Maneuver game using Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (JTS).
• Gained 59 OBD points (2349 total).

• Major Victory in S2018F0024 after 65 turns of Fight game using Campaign Leipzig (JTS).
• Gained 68 OBD points (2290 total).
• Gained 2 VP (60 total).
• Gained 1 Major Victory (30 total).

The club should add a column for wins for maneuvers or just do away with "maneuvers" and all battles are "fights".

For those of us that actually play the games, I think it would be a welcome change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:25 am 

It's same for me... :frenchoops:

I am a newbie and I speak poor English, as well as I am very grateful that some veterans want to play with me. :frenchvive: :frenchvive1:

Steve Jones wrote:
Well, as perhaps the newest member - I certainly appreciate the time invested in me!! I have tutored new players in other series, and find it mostly joyful work. JTS games are easy to play, hard to master games.

So a great big tip-o-the-hat to Bill P, Jim P., Jim H. and Marco R. for taking the time to play a newbie (and be sure to send them some crying towels as they have to listen to me snivel and whine about how STUPID I seem to be!).

Hope I am not appropriating the thread, but as one new to the series, I wanted to say THANKS for those who are willing to help me learn.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 am 

Cedric and I have played several battles and he is a great addition to the club.

We will be starting a multiplayer battle soon as teammates vs another friend of mine in Europe.

and he does very well with English........allot better than my French....... :frenchroll:

everyone.......please welcome Cedric :frenchvive1:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm 

Welcome, Cedric! Glad to have you with us!

Without new members like you this club goes stale really quick. (pinches self to see if meat is still fresh) :frenchlol1:

NOPE! :frenchlol:

Scott Ludwig and I are the in the "Oldy-Moldy" brigade ;)

Scott - I hope that you get the Rules page issue fixed soon. Its always good to be able to reference those.

Clint - I can see your point to a certain extent. The club leaders would want to talk about changing the structure. I for one could care less about the VPs or wins/losses for maneuvers BUT if we remove them then the points go with it. Seems kind of counterproductive then as a lot of folks may just pass on a Maneuver altogether AND if they cannot get opponents from the other side of the club they would end up not playing at all.

I think the main thing is to enjoy the gaming, record the games, the club leaders and I use the games records at times to see which scenarios are being played (and which ones are not) so the records do help. For me it helps to see if a scenario (over the long haul) is balanced or not.

Steve - enjoying our game. I love the RBR game and that scenario we are playing is one of my favorites. BOTH sides have to be very patient in how they attack and where they set up their defense. Time and space, time and space, that is what this series is all about ....

Falling back on your reinforcements is never a bad idea either. If you fall back 3 turns movement to a force that has to move 9 turns to reinforce it you just reduced the amount of turns to 6. ;) The French have to do that in the Battle of Marengo (full battle) scenarios or else the Austrians can crush them.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:
Scott Ludwig and I are the in the "Oldy-Moldy" brigade ;)

Bill - haha, beyond Oldy-Moldy I think at this point, more like Infanterie-Regiment zu Fossil! :frenchlol: :thumbsup:

Seeing what we can do about the rules. :frenchsalute:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm 

Clint Matthews wrote:
Cedric and I have played several battles and he is a great addition to the club.

We will be starting a multiplayer battle soon as teammates vs another friend of mine in Europe.

and he does very well with English........allot better than my French....... :frenchroll:

everyone.......please welcome Cedric :frenchvive1:

Huzzah! We are certainly happy to have you with us Cédric!

Clint is a great gamer and glad he is playing an MP with you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:42 pm 

Steve Jones wrote:

A great collection of guys to learn from! Each bring something to the table! :thumbsup:

Glad you're with us Steve!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm 

Now for the original point of the discussion:

Clint - are you talking just tracking the win/loss/draws of maneuvers or VP's too? VP's would be more tricky to address.

I'll also have to try to put some thoughts together on the issue overall, as it has changed a bit/the use of it, corrected over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 pm 

tracking win/loss/draws of maneuvers.

It makes no sense to play a game if there is no record of the result.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next