Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CEF Update
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 pm 

Just got the Leaders.bmp file from Mark Adams. Mark and I have been fighting illness. I tend to think he is more worn down than me so cudos to all of his efforts at finishing up this file.

I have reviewed the file, added in some new images (color or in one case a picture for one that was using a generic image) and he added those in and its all done. I then went and created the CEF-Leaderlist.pdf file for the Design folder. This not only has the list of leaders but shows all of the images as they are laid out in the Leaders.bmp file with the name and slot number for each leader image.

I just have one Bonus document to update - the Terrain Effect Chart (CEF-TEC.pdf) - because the terrain images changed during Campaign Marengo and I need to update all of the TEC PDFs eventually and I want them to look like what you see in the game.

Mark now moves on to finish up the 3D images followed by the game screens. Whether we can get the game out in two weeks for the anniversary of the Battle of Eylau (8 Feb 1807) now is up in the air but he says he will have it ready. I know that I will need 2-3 days to finish off the rest of the work and review the game installer once I get the artwork.

Anyway, just letting you know that so far we are on schedule but again, we never hold to a specific date. But you all knew that anyway. :frenchwink:

FYI - playtest of that big cavalry battle scenario - Bonus 9 - went well. Jeff Kulp and I played it out to the point where I could get a feeling of whether the victory conditions were correct.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

Post subject: Re: CEF Update
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:00 pm 

I hope JTS is not using Phantom leaders anymore.

Give a them a name or a unique designation so we can find them on the battlefield,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am 

Here is how I chose to do it this time:

1. Each leader has their own unique number.

2. Each leader does NOT have their own unique picture. If some enterprising soul wants to do that have at it. You still are going to be looking at the wrong picture for that leader unless somehow someone finds a picture for EACH leader represented in the game.

3. There are "Staff-#" named leaders. This is something I have been doing for some of the games and in this game I used it instead of "unknown," "phantom" or some other type of anonymous name. So for instance the officer called "Staff-1" is only used once in the OB you will be using for a battle BUT that leader name may be used again in other OBs - usually I tried to ensure it was for the same command (same regiments, etc). So "Staff-1" will not appear twice in the same battle.

This was not something that I was asked to do.... I thought it was a better format this time around.

So if someone ever wants to add in the correct image each leader has their own "slot" in the Leaders.bmp file and later on they can do it. They are also welcome to send the picture(s) to Rich and ask that it be added in for one of the updates. You would want to use the following format for each image:

<initials of game>_<number of slot it uses>_<Name of leader>.jpg .png .bmp

The Leader's file took longer for Mark to build because of this format. I can't speak for how Andrew and Rich White will do the leaders file and leader OB numbering for the second Peninsular game. I thought that this was a good format to go with. I wont be updating the other games to this format. This is a "one off" game for this format for me.

(there was no manual for me to follow in the early years and only in later years did I consider doing some more advanced things for the series ...)

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:23 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
Whether we can get the game out in two weeks for the anniversary of the Battle of Eylau (8 Feb 1807) now is up in the air but he says he will have it ready.

Take your time, it would more than enough if you make it till the conclusion of the campaign with the Battle of Friedland.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:07 pm 

Yes, but I have to eat and pay rent, Christian! This game has been in development as long as I can possibly work on it. Its accurate. We have corrected a lot of things along the way.

Some guys tinker with their games for 8 years but they have full time jobs. I do this for a living and have to "crank out the work." Just figure it will have my usual level of accuracy.

I can say this - judging by the lack of negative feedback from the RBR game release the latest Napoleonic games are much better products (speaking only for the ones that I work on) than in the past. I have had very little feedback on the RBR game as it regards errors.

It looks like we will still be working on the game for another week so the Eylau anniversary date wont be met but that is fine. Its coming out sometime this month for sure unless snow melt washes Michigan and or Idaho off the map.

:russianveryhappy:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:18 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:

Some guys tinker with their games for 8 years but they have full time jobs.

I resemble that remark! (Though honestly, the 8 years was for a whole raft of reasons, not all of which were on my end :frenchcharge:

Austrian Army

Scenario Designer:
JTS Midway
JTS Seven Years War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:09 pm 

Well yes, pastoring two churches could cause ANY project to be delayed a full eight years!

I applaud your diligence to finish the SYW game. Its hard to retain interest in something that takes that long to build!

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 pm 

Mark Adams said today that he probably will have the 3D artwork done by Sunday. Allowing for the usual back and forth emails concerning things that need to be corrected I am thinking that the game will be out by next Friday (15 Feb) at the latest. I just completed checking the Scenario Descriptions, found and corrected errors, and some of the team members are helping out as well.

The guys playing the Battle of Eylau sent in their playtest reports and I made corrections to the scenarios based on their findings. Only Doug M. and Jim O. continue to playtest - the full Battle of Friedland. This is their second game of the full battle. Plowing steadily onward they started last year at this time and get the award for the most continuous playtest gaming in the group.

This weekend will be dedicated to finishing up the CEF game. My WW2 work, therefore, will be on hold until CEF is done.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm 

The weather continues to be poor in Michigan which along with Mark being ill has led to a delay in the artwork being completed. Mark sent me the 3D formed infantry images and there were only three of those he has to correct. The 3D cavalry is the last of the big files to work on.

As I have said before we are not in a hurry to put the game out but obviously it didn't make the Eylau anniversary date. I am sure by the end of the month the game will be out. It just gives us more time to find any errors that are lurking in the game files ... I did an extensive check of the campaign scenarios and found some (ammo amounts). Other spot checks have not netted any other issues so its looking good on that front. Our team continues to look over the scenarios as well.

(so as to avoid boring the readers with more minute details I will make one last update once the game is completely done OR if for some reason there will be a lengthy delay)

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:21 am 

I can safely say that CEF will release next week at the latest. Mark and I have been rounding up the artwork. The 3D unit images are all done and its just the final stuff to do now. John returns from travel by Saturday and all systems go for CEF to hit the streets next week.

:frenchvive1: :russianveryhappy:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:59 am 

CEF scenarios are in the DoR awaiting the magical day :)

2ème Brigade,
2ème Division,
1er Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am 

Good deal, John!

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 pm 

Finished the "Started" tutorial PDF yesterday. I will be reviewing the final build tomorrow. Excited to finally be done with this project but yes, sad in a way because its a journey that started with Campaign Eckmuhl and its been a lot of fun. I never expected to do ten of these games ROFL

Campaigns of Turkey up next? ;) That would be Turkey and the Mamelukes and British vs. Bonaparte in the Levant, the Austrio-Turkish Wars, Russo-Turkish Wars. (I thought that if there was an obscure title we could do that the RBR game was it but the Turkish campaigns of this period definitely top RBR)

No, this is NOT a hint of a future title.. as they said at the end of the old movie "Around the World in 80 Days" ... "this is the end."

(end of the series for me that is ....) there is still Wellington's Peninsular Victory for the team to complete. I am not a part of that one so I am hanging up my Napoleonic design "spurs" and donning my WW2 helmet and moving on to different battlefields.

NWC Founding Member