Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Waterloo or Bust !
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:15 am 

Gentlemen I was wondering what are your thoughts on this what if !

What if Napoleon had won at Waterloo could he have kepted France together and fought off the Russians and Austria ? or was it always going to be the end of the line [|)] Also if he had won would the Rhine States and the Dutch come back into the fold again [?]

Col Richy Duggan
10th Regiment infantry
Junker,2nd Brigade
19th Division
The Kingdom of Bavaria
VI Corps
AdR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:50 am 

I am of the opinion that he could have fought the Russians/Austrians.

The way I see it after Waterloo his pepole revere him and flock to the colours. In addition the Autrians were far enough away that he could rested and re-orged to meet them.

As I recall the Russinas were even farther away from France so againg time was on Napoleon's side.

General de Division John Corbin
Superintendent of Cadets
L'Ecole de Mars
L'Armee du Rhin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:53 am 

I would agree. He still had large numbers of men under arms at various points around the country, and could have raised more, following a victorius campaign.

A victory over the combined armies at Waterloo and the subsequent capture of Brussles would have solidifed Nappy's position and had the various empires looking for a peace treaty. He probably would have hunkered down in France for a couple of years, then launched his next round of invasions...and I expect that cycle would have continued until his death. [B)]

Gen.de Div. Hamilton, 21st Division, VII Corps, ADR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:29 am 

It would have been interesting to see if the anglo-dutch army crumbled like that of Moore's, but I suspect that Marshall Vorwarts would have seen to it that too many frogs would have been "detained" in the North. 1815 would have resembled 1813, but with lesser numbers as both sides recruited madly. The end result would have been clear.

Clear and decisive victories to knock both England and Prussia out of the war may have helped Napoleon, but that was almost impossible. Contrast this with the situation early in 1813 when there was an obsession by the allies to ensure that they were involved. Louis XVIII had indeed made many enemies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:03 am 

Well, all of Europe beat France in 1813 and probably would have done so again. Napoleon had made himself an issue, so I dno't think the coalition would have failed to keep together to deal with him.

Lt Neville Worland
7ème Régiment de Dragons
Ier Corps de Réserve de Cavalerie
Army du Nord